The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33
    I'm a guitar player looking for new artists to listen to to expand my playing. I love John Scofield.

Though not jazz, I'm also a big Jerry Garcia fan. I can appreciate Pat Metheny but he gets a little cheesy to me.

Who are some guitar jazz guitar players that incorporate psychedelic elements into their sound? I love psychedelic guitar music but haven't found much of it in the jazz world. Thanks.

-EE

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Miles Davis - 'In a Silent Way' (1969). John McLaughlin on guitar.

Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin - 'Love Devotion Surrender' (1973)

John Abercrombie - 'Timeless' (1975)

Miles Davis - 'Agharta' (1975). Pete Cosey and Reggie Lucas on guitars. Cosey takes the solos.

The Gary Burton Quartet - 'In Concert' (1968). Larry Coryell on guitar.

James "Blood" Ulmer - 'Odyssey' (1983)

Sonny Sharrock - 'Ask the Ages' (1991)

Last edited by David B; 04-20-2020 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Sonny Sharrock?

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell back in the 60’s/70’s was pretty out there. Mahavishnu Orchestra also of course.

Abercrombie and Allen Holdsworth seem to go farthest into the stratosphere without losing the swing.

More recent...David Torn, Ben Monder.

As far as jam-based stuff, check out Scofield’s UberJam 1 and 2, and his album with Govt Mule. There’s a lot of good jam-based guitar stuff out there, some of it jazzier than others. Every now and then I even like what Phish is doing.

User Info Menu

Henry Kaiser

User Info Menu

Pat Martino: Baiyina (The Clear Evidence)

User Info Menu

gabor szabo, larry coryell, bill connors, ray gomez, pete cosey, terje rypdal, david torn, david sancious

mclaughlins devotion lp with buddy miles on drums and larry young on organ

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-20-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add-

User Info Menu

and of course Steve Hillage...!

User Info Menu

Tisziji Munoz
    Sonny Greenwich

User Info Menu

Nels Cline especially with Medeski Martin and Wood:

User Info Menu

Terje Rypdal.

User Info Menu

i had a few of his albums back in the '70's....loved them...one was titled 'the psychedelic jazz guitar of boogaloo joe jones.'....tho in truth-in-advertising terms, some of his stuff seems more 'amphetamine jazz guitar' than 'psychedelic' jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Not exactly jazz, but not exactly not jazz:

Col. Bruce Hampton and his various bands.

Jimmy Herring (who co-headlined with McLaughlin on his last tour) who has played with the Other Ones, Phil Lesh and Friends, the Allmans, Col. Bruce, Widespread Panic as well as leading his own bands.

Jeff Pevar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Tisziji Munoz
    Sonny Greenwich

Tisziji Munoz wow blast from the past, love him i did post maybe five years back on him, killer boy, i love the emotion he plays with

User Info Menu

Damn this is a good thread.

User Info Menu

Nels Cline's cd with Gregg Bendian's Interstellar Space Revisited is pretty psychedelic. (You can kind of can tell from the title, no?)

User Info Menu

Rypdal in one of his finest sweaters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Not exactly jazz, but not exactly not jazz:

Col. Bruce Hampton and his various bands.

Jimmy Herring (who co-headlined with McLaughlin on his last tour) who has played with the Other Ones, Phil Lesh and Friends, the Allmans, Col. Bruce, Widespread Panic as well as leading his own bands.

Jeff Pevar.
    I used to see the Late Bronze Age a lot around Atlanta, with COL Bruce Hampton. The guitarist was, I believe, Ben “Pops” Thornton, who played some kind of a weird solid body with a clock built into the lower bout. Their shows were like an acid trip without the drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Rypdal in one of his finest sweaters.

I imagine he wore that one because he Rypdal his other ones..

User Info Menu

Pat Martino Consciousness album is kinda trippy. Love that album.

User Info Menu

i have been re-listening to lots of pete cosey...what a wonderfully inventive guitar player...read and reread some interviews too....a special cat...loved his morris guitar...(anyone have the eastwood repro?...a deal at 599$)

but petes best were with miles...dark magus & agharta...by that time miles is ailing...so the band takes over...and cosey is right up there...he'd sit behind a desk..with instruments all over it..he had early putney hi-a synth he'd plug the guitar into..he was way ahead

from 1973 to his retirement (after japan recorded shows) were probably miles best electric band..reggie lucas, michael henderson, pete cosey...liebman or sonny fortune on horns...they had narrowed the earlier experimentation down to the basics...no keyboards...except for miles wild organ stabs...he was playin more organ than trumpet by then..he was toast..but the band rose to the occasion..and pete cosey was forefront!!

he starts in after miles solo at about the 5 minute mark! (with his morris guitar!)

cheers

User Info Menu

here's some pre- sweater rypdal unbound!

haha

bassist has fender vi bass...ala roy babbington of soft machine...with trem arm!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Neatomic,

You NEED to get a copy of 'Fishermans.com' by Akira Sakata, Pete Cosey, Bill Laswell and Hamid Drake, from 2000. It's the best thing Cosey did outside 'Agharta' and 'Pangaea'.

Originally released on a tiny Japanese label, I tracked down a copy at Downtown Music Gallery on my first US visit in 2003.

It got reissued on Trost Records in 2018 and is now available on Bandcamp as a digital download and on vinyl (guess which I shelled out for!)

Fisherman's.com | Akira Sakata

Listen to Cosey blast off at 6:35!

User Info Menu

You're looking for Dennis Coffee, fuzz, wahs, and he does some jazz standards occasionally.

User Info Menu

dennis coffey!...he was a motown session guitarist that had a few small hits of his own

his most famous-scorpio- got lots of radio play

cheers

User Info Menu

Jerry Garcia... often long extended solos, and the occasional modal jam (like Dark Star). Jerry also often plays with more of a chord tone approach and uses chromaticism more than most rock players. A lot like jazz in that sense but harmonically not much in the line of altered chords. The Dead also play more shuffles than most rock bands. Is that about right?