The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Perhaps sort of forgotten maybe, younger Wes 1957 a short solo probably because it was not his own record, The Montgomery Brothers and Five Others later re-named Finger Picking.
    ........... burning you can hear where Benson and others got their ideas from, not that many records prior to this guitar wise with Billie's Bounce.

..... listen how close to the strings/low action that guitar is, that sound is from guitar being on the limit the string not vibrating as much as it could do, it may have been a 175 or L4,
    I think his L5 came a couple years later.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wes solos right after the head, about 0:30 mark.

Just the solo as it might be played on guitar

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney and his take, from my favorite album of his; The Master;

User Info Menu

nice solos all round
    what ? kinda guitar is Wes playing on that ???

User Info Menu

Herbie also liked his action very low. For some reason Google keeps calling this Scrapple from the Apple, but the actual CD says Billie's Bounce, and that's certainly what it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Herbie also liked his action very low. For some reason Google keeps calling this Scrapple from the Apple, but the actual CD says Billie's Bounce, and that's certainly what it is.
    My CD says "Scrapple" too but it's obviously "Billie's Bounce." Don't know how that mistake was made in the first place or why it persists.

User Info Menu

It must be Justice Records' mistake then. My CD, purchased not long after the initial release, lists it as Billie's Bounce. I have no idea how or when it got changed.

User Info Menu

"..... listen how close to the strings/low action that guitar is, that sound is from guitar being on the limit the string not vibrating as much as it could do, it may have been a 175 or L4,
    I think his L5 came a couple years later." Durban

Low action: speed potential
    Med-Hi action: depth/clarity potential

Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I play it at 135 bpm and it still sounds terrific...genius

User Info Menu

Note to self: LISTEN TO MORE JIMMY RANEY