The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am interesting in getting into Steve Coleman but he has quite an extensive discography, what are seen as his key albums to start checking out please?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Extensions
    Thanks going on my list!

User Info Menu

Any work with Dave Holland's groups is top shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Any work with Dave Holland's groups is top shelf.
    Just been checking out Extensions as Christian mentioned above and other Dave Holland albums Steve is on, great stuff! Some of them also have Kenny Wheeler on them who I love.

User Info Menu

He has an extensive collection of his own earlier releases for free listening or download on the m-base site. Rhythm People and Anatomy of a Groove are two of my favorites. https://m-base.com/downloads/

There is a cool duo album Phase Space with Dave Holland.

Steve credits his encounters with drummer Doug Hammond's compositions as a pivotal rhythmic influence with his use of drum chants. There are 2 records listed on the wiki link, not sure how easy it will be to find them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Coleman

User Info Menu

He himself regards "Rhythm People" (1990) as his first mature album. "Black Sience" (1990) is an extension of the same. "The Tao of Mad Phat" (1993) is his next important album. There are a lot of other great albums, from the last years for example "Functional Arrhythmias" (2012) or "Live at the Village Vanguard" (2017).

Quote Originally Posted by Fef
    He himself regards "Rhythm People" (1990) as his first mature album. "Black Sience" (1990) is an extension of the same. "The Tao of Mad Phat" (1993) is his next important album. There are a lot of other great albums, from the last years for example "Functional Arrhythmias" (2012) or "Live at the Village Vanguard" (2017).
    Great thanks for these!