The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 118 of 118

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I can respect that. I'm not looking to argue, mind you, just discuss. Not all disagreements are arguements.
    And I'm not up for either, at least right now---and I've told you why.

Please respect that.

'This is all I ask'...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Like I said, I get it and respect it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Like I said, I get it and respect it.
    Can you guys give me tips on how to enjoy Jim hall more , as i mentionned before it was a bit of an aquired test for me , i used to expect long lines from guitarists , but i get it , he's very creative with time feel , interplay, pure improvisation !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    Can you guys give me tips on how to enjoy Jim hall more , as i mentionned before it was a bit of an aquired test for me , i used to expect long lines from guitarists , but i get it , he's very creative with time feel , interplay, pure improvisation !
    If you haven't heard 'Jim Hall Live' (the trio with Terry Clarke and Don Thompson) , get it immediately.

Another classic is 'Undercurrent' with Bill Evans.

Prolonged listening to either of these should do the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    If you haven't heard 'Jim Hall Live' (the trio with Terry Clarke and Don Thompson) , get it immediately.

Another classic is 'Undercurrent' with Bill Evans.

Prolonged listening to either of these should do the trick.

Here the albums i have o jim :
    "these rooms"
    "jim live"
    "undercurrent"
    "intermodulation"
    "two jims"
    "concierto"
    "alone together"

I love all of 'em , but jim isn't someone you can realy steal phrases from , he's just a macro visionner of the whole tune , he doesn't use lick ideas .

User Info Menu

I'm listening to Live! volumes 2-4 for the first time as I type this. It's every bit as enjoyable as hearing the original, way back in '75.

In my collection, there is probably very Jim Hall recording available and I obviously enjoy his work, but the Don Thompson, Terry Clarke recordings stand out, IMO, for their spontaneity and the obvious level of interplay between the musicians. I surmise that Don Thompson is a force of nature and Clarke, is amazingly solid, yet economical.

The only time I saw Jim Hall play was about a year before his death. He had Steve La Spina on bass that night, which was a treat in and of itself. Overall the band was excellent. He played well, but I suspect that he was none too happy with the sound reinforcement at the venue. It was a Dazzle Showroom in Denver, which seems to handle sound well from the audience' perspective, but that night there were balance problems and Hall was obviously frustrated by the mix. But it was still a great experience and I'm very glad that I had the privilege of seeing him in person.

But I have to state that the Thompson/Clarke gigs bordered on the surreal. Listening to this I can sense the ambience of a great jazz club. You could hear a pin drop, if it happened between notes, but there's a life to the sound that would be almost impossible to capture in a recording studio. Hall sounds very comfortable, relaxed and willing to stretch out. Perhaps that last item is the most important.

Just from the modest gigs I play, I know that if the band is having a good day it's a lot easier to stretch out and even take a few chances. OTOH, if the band is not tight, the effect is to inhibit creativity, in part because more of my attention will be focused on just keeping the timing on track.

Anyhow, this Hall recording was not cheap at nearly $50, but truly worth every dime.

User Info Menu

I'm in love with this solo performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Here are the Jim Hall albums I own:

1. Berlin, Stokholm (Jimmy Guifrie 3)
    2. By Arrangement
    3. Concierto
    4. Dialogues
    5. Hemispheres
    6. Interaction (Art Farmer)
    7. Jazz Guitar
    8. Jazzpar Quartet +4
    9. JH and PM
    10. JH Live!
    11. Live at Town Hall
    12. Panorama
    13. Ron Carter and JH
    14. Three Rooms
    15. Two Jims and Zoot

What one stands out that I am apparently missing?
    Live in Japan; Mugonuta; Power of Three (Michel Petrucciani [leader], Jim Hall, Wayne Shorter); The Complete Recordings of the Paul Desmond Quartet featuring Jim Hall; and maybe Live! vols 2-4.

User Info Menu

I had read a line from either Jim Hall or Don Thompson that they "were just having some fun" and "not taking it all that seriously." Jeepers. Their notion of just having some fun is my notion of achieving the pinnacle of my musical ability. I think there are some differences between me and them.

Also, apparently at the time they did these recordings (I think this was a week long or two week long engagement), Bourbon Street was a little like playing at Chuck E. Cheese's. In the middle of one tune, the wait staff came out with a cake and sang Happy Birthday to one of the customers. Jim was apparently unfazed and incorporated Happy Birthday into his solo...

User Info Menu

the Live! CD is jim in TOP form. I've had it in my car a while and JUST TODAY got the next volumes which i'm really scared/excited to listen to. considering how good that trio worked together, these large batch of tunes will be a treat. I'll copy a status i made the other day on FB regarding a cool jim/ed bickert connection...

"Ultra nerd town: Firstly Jim Hall "Live!" is the best ever, secondly I need that extended box set from these gigs...THIRDLY listen at around 6:17 - 6:30ish and then again on the last A 6:40, . Jim, does some next level stuff like always. But, this is Jim with the classic Canadian rhythm section, who played years and years and years with Ed Bickert. Ed was Jim's first call/replacement in Paul Desmond's quartet and the same year as this live album, Ed debuted on record with Paul on "Pure Desmond". So, I would imagine Jim probably was listening to it right? The first track from THAT album is "Just Squeeze Me" and it starts off with this pedal point intro with some very slick altered chords. Jim quotes the TOP voice of Ed's intro and also quotes the A section melody to "squeeze"...all while doing this in F (squeeze was in eb) and on a totally different tune."

the bickert

User Info Menu

Hi,
    new to this forum. Love what I read here. thanks for sharing. I fell for Concierto when I was 16 from a friend. Saw Jim Hall live once at Montreal Jazz Fest as a feature with Miles Davis. It was like a dream but people didn’t realize it.

Anyways, I’m missing one thing. A live version. A decent one. Not recorded. Live. Anyone knows if a good jazz band ever attempted to recreate Concierto live? An6 chance I can see and hear that?

thanks
    G.

User Info Menu

RE. anyone ever attempted to recreate Concierto live?

– Will Jim Hall's Trio do? There's a good version on Jim Hall Trio, Live in Tokyo 1976 (it may be on YouTube)

His guitar tone is superb on this.

Quite different to the duet album 'Jim Hall and Red Mitchell' too - another beauty!

User Info Menu

Jim's chord work on the Complete recordings with Paul Desmond grabbed me and never let me go. Just the intro alone on Boss Antigua is a tiny example of his brilliance. So simple yet who else was doing things like that? Howard Roberts, Barney, Herb, etc. would never have played that. His comping and solos with Desmond were just sublime. I bought Jim Hall Live in 1974 and have never stopped listening to it over the years and regret I missed the boat on the reissue - and after posting about it here.

I also like earthy, bluesy players like Barney Kessel and Howard Roberts and amazing technicians like Farlow etc. etc., and Wes is in his own category too, but there's a special, kind of painterly, poetic quality to Jim Hall's playing that's really unique and untouchable.

User Info Menu

I came across this 2009 mutual interview between Frisell and Hall from Fretboard Journal, reprinted after the latter's death a few years back. Searched here and found only a single passing reference to it, so if you haven't seen it yet it is well worth reading. Which most of you now probably have the time to do!

Extended Lesson: Bill Frisell Interviews Jim Hall | Fretboard Journal

User Info Menu

I have the paper copy of that. That was a darn define article that I enjoyed very much. Thanks for digging this up!

User Info Menu

It's got that great little story Jim tells about Ben Webster, where Ben basically need a taxi driver, so he told Jim "we'll meet at my house and go to the gig from here". Love it. He tells it again in the long interview with his daughter that was recorded for the Smithsonian: https://amhistory.si.edu/jazz/Hall-J...nscription.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    It's got that great little story Jim tells about Ben Webster, where Ben basically need a taxi driver, so he told Jim "we'll meet at my house and go to the gig from here". Love it. He tells it again in the long interview with his daughter that was recorded for the Smithsonian: https://amhistory.si.edu/jazz/Hall-J...nscription.pdf
    Wow that's something! thank you!

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed reading that interview. Thank you!