The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    Holy moly!
    indeed...and they are playing 7 string (D'A) guitars...!

words fail me ..but tears dont..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I only saw Bucky once when he came to Savannah Ga in the late 90's as part of a Benedetto Players concert and in conjunction with Bob Benedetto's partnership with Fender/Guild. The concert also had Howard Alden and Jimmy Bruno both were/are no slouches on the guitar but Bucky played his butt off and really wowed the crowd. Godspeed Mr. "Buckskin" and thanks for the memories.

User Info Menu

My attempt at a tribute to Bucky is below. I posted it in a different thread but this is where I should have put it. I had the pleasure of seeing Bucky with Benny Goodman, with Stephane Grappelli snd others. Always great!

User Info Menu

Had the pleasure of catching Bucky live in Seattle a few years ago...man, time flies...I think it was 2014 actually. I walked up and introduced myself before the show when he was talking to another table and told him I was a fan, that I had several of his older LP's etc. He was very gracious and kind. When we shook hands it seemed to me that he did not have full use of his right hand, and I remember that when he walked back to stage he was struggling - as a result I was a bit worried about how he might handle the performance.

Then I remember being blown away at how effortlessly his fingers moved when he played and especially when it came to his turn for a solo. If you can recall that scene in Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith when Yoda struggles to walk but then battles with ninja skills, it was sort of like that (from 1:59 of link:
    )

I've saw John play live in NYC this past summer in a duo at Mezzrow's and he was really world class! His comping, especially with that fat 7th string, knocked me out.

RIP Bucky.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This morning I'm listening to Bucky's unaccompanied recording "April Kisses;" just perfection!

User Info Menu

Mr. Amazing at 85