The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 73

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Horace Silver and Art Blakey were prime exponents.

Wikipedia has a reasonable stab at describing it:
    Hard bop - Wikipedia
    I think of the "Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers" album (1955) as primus inter pares. (No guitar but what the hell)
    A few favorite cuts from it: "Room 608" , "The Preacher", and "Doodlin'"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Early Pat Martino stuff can get quite intense:

Holy hell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Holy hell.
    exactly! I have the CD but I still haven’t heard all the tracks - can only digest Pat’s onslaughts one at a time on that record!

It would have been incredible to see him in a small club like that in his early years. I only saw him in the 80s but he was still great then (he was with Joey de Francesco).

User Info Menu

exactly! I have the CD but I still haven’t heard all the tracks - can only digest Pat’s onslaughts one at a time on that record!

It would have been incredible to see him in a small club like that in his early years. I only saw him in the 80s but he was still great then (he was with Joey de Francesco).
    What a coincidence. Been listening to the first track this morning. This entire CD is on Youtube, legally even ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    What a coincidence. Been listening to the first track this morning. This entire CD is on Youtube, legally even ...

DB
    Hell yeah, tonight I’m going to pour myself a large scotch and listen to the rest of the CD!

Great photo of Pat on the CD cover:

Hard Bop Guitarists?-314c9acd-0a36-4db8-a78b-d6b75cd8c56c-jpg

User Info Menu

the solo on who can i turn to is to die for.

User Info Menu

Hell yeah, tonight I’m going to pour myself a large scotch and listen to the rest of the CD!

Great photo of Pat on the CD cover:

Hard Bop Guitarists?-314c9acd-0a36-4db8-a78b-d6b75cd8c56c-jpg
    You can see that Pat's guitar is stuffed full, as he tended to do at that time.

User Info Menu

The top British hard bop player in the 1960s and onward was Terry Smith. Even in the jazz-rock band If, he basically played hard bop:

User Info Menu

Grant Green was mentioned by many, and was "house" guitarist for Blue Note records in the 60's. From 1960-1965 (legendary years!) he was a sideman on more records than anyone else, on a premier label full of legends making historic recordings. To me, that makes him kinda the king of hardbop guitar.

User Info Menu

has anyone ever heard the pat martino/sonny stitt duo? they did quite a few gigs together afaik. who are the collectors of rare stuff around here?

User Info Menu

Jim Hall? Johnnie Smith?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Jim Hall? Johnnie Smith?
    Definitely not JS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I still never have figured out exactly what "hard bop" is.

Bop is a little softer

User Info Menu

Mostly a horn genre but the guitarists that come to my mind are of course Pat Martino, Grant Green, early George Benson i.e. Cookbook, Joe Diorio, Ted Dunbar, and Wes.

User Info Menu

"Hard bop" was a label used to contrast with "cool jazz".

Cool jazz was mostly West Coast, L.A.-based, while hard bop was East Coast, N.Y.-based.

Subtext was that the L.A. scene was a lot whiter than the N.Y. scene.

Cool jazz had more prominent guitarists, including Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, and Jim Hall.

Hard bop tended to be more piano- and horn-based, but also includes the organ trio format, which often had guitarists, such as Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, George Benson, and Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Definitely not JS.

That's the reason for the question mark. Wasn't sure if he or Jim Hall were considered bop. But, I'm relatively new to this.

User Info Menu

(its just clicked to me that this title refers to the transition of the two eras)

User Info Menu

No guitars, but it's great for jamming along to.

User Info Menu

When I think of hard bop, the first thing I think of is Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. The dynamics would be different with a guitar in any of his groups. The horns could often scream and shout, guitars don't have this capability. I think the guitar would tend to get drowned out. Grant Green did some great recordings with Blakey but without horns.

User Info Menu

Tony Purrone can play some serious hard bop in the line of Jimmy Raney
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 04-10-2020 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Tony Purrone can play some serious hard bop in the line of Jimmy Rainey
    Great player, caught him w Jimmy Heath's band once w Rufus Reid and Akira Tana

User Info Menu

Nonsense. Back to Grant.

User Info Menu

(In seriousness I hear about these parts that Grant was a bit Raney fan, which I find to be intriguing.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    When I think of hard bop, the first thing I think of is Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. The dynamics would be different with a guitar in any of his groups. The horns could often scream and shout, guitars don't have this capability. I think the guitar would tend to get drowned out. Grant Green did some great recordings with Blakey but without horns.
    You wot m8?

I suppose horn singular. But Green was basically a horn.

User Info Menu

Also there is this. It’s not Grant Green but it is acceptable. Classic hard bop lineup.