The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 152

User Info Menu

If I was trying to solo with Buddy Rich staring holes through me, I'd probably be running for the door after 12 bars. Jeez, what an intimidator.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Buddy must've thought quite a lot of Jimmy's playing, he gets a long solo on this tune not to mention I think he was fresh out if high school.
    As much a jack wagon as Rich could be his band was always superb. I'd love to hear that band behind me....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great stuff, superb player. I think Bruno has one of the most interesting right hands of all the bop/post-bop players. The pick/finger swapping seems completely natural and on a whim depending on the phrase. The guitar is just a total relexive extension of him. Always musical, great flow.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

jimmy with his new comins!! gonna be good

cheers

User Info Menu

well that was pretty cool!!!..jimmy sounding strong..still nailin the fast passages and yet his single note playing has a certain weightiness...thats just soulfully beautiful...he's the link to tal and jimmy raney and johnny smith...he mentions johnny before doing -autumn in ny...and his last tune (before break) birds- relaxin at camarillo, had a distinct jimmy raney vibe...jimmy B can still straight out bop burn

new comins guitar looks and sounds great!!! (want more info)

bass player was excellent...drummer came alive on relaxin with some nice joe morello-isms

good stuff..tho would be even better with improved audio/visual

nevertheless

jimmy bruno lives!! bravo..the master

cheers

User Info Menu

Before he moved to Vegas he bought my ES175. When he moved back he was playing a black Fender D'Aquisto, I think his 1st regular gig was @ JJ's Grotto in the basement of a building. My pal bassist Howie Thompson was just out of college and Jimmy hired him, Howie more than held his own in that trio as a kid, legendary organ drummer Billy James was in that trio for awhile also. Caught them countless times there and he started bringing cats like Joe Beck, Howard Alden, Jack Wilkins, etc down from NY as guest artists.
    You should have heard Jimmy then, he was absolutely astounding!
    I was fortunate enough to have seen many of the legendary guitarists through the years and wasn't easily impressed, but he was incredible, so exciting in person. His debut cd Sleight of Hand was causing quite a stir in the jazz guitar community, he had Raney's/Farlow's single line type playing, but then would launch into a chord solo Kessel would have been more than proud of. Not saying he was better then, no, but he was just bursting on the scene as an artist and had such drive after being in Buddy Rich's band straight out of high school, then later buried in Vegas pit bands backing Wayne Newton and touring w Donny Osmond (ask him about that some time, hilarious!)
    So he was finally out front and had something to prove, man he delivered.
    Sad to hear that he's retired at such a relatively young age, but after his health scare and the fact he says he's played w/ who he wanted to over the yrs he seems to be ok w hanging up his boarding pass.
    Glad he's not giving up the guitar and hope he still plays locally even if just online.
    He doesn't normally get mentioned w the greats but if ya got ears you know otherwise.

User Info Menu

jimmy literally did some of that old sleight of hand in first set...slippin pick into palm and fingerpickin it..then back to flat pick...there used to be a slow mo vid of him doin it!! he was smooth!!! hah

found it!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-18-2020 at 11:45 PM.

User Info Menu

There's a slow mo section of it in that vid NA, I saw it in person too.
    But what you dont see is that he used to hold his cigarette in between his fingers while playing those picking passages.
    I would watch as that thing burned dangerously close to his knuckles

User Info Menu

yeah i found clip after i mentioned!!

jimmy was still lightin up in between riffs on vid today!!! cantankerous!

i dig'em greatly

cheers

User Info Menu

They start with "Big Shoes." I remember getting that pdf when I was enrolled at the JBGW. At the time, I'd never heard the tune, or heard OF it for that matter.

User Info Menu

April issue of Jazz Guitar Today (JGT)

Jimmy Bruno Unfiltered... - Jazz Guitar Today

User Info Menu

thanks for the heads up mark...that was great...gotta love jimmy B

here's wise words from him right from the get go

"There are a couple records that I wore out. One is by Hank Garland, “Jazz Winds by A New Direction”, then after that was Johnny Smith, “Moonlight in Vermont” "

one of the last of the old school greats...fact that all the great luthiers want him to play their guitars, shows what high esteem he is held in...his new bill comins guitar is wonderful

cheers

User Info Menu

ps-

notice in this pic..young jimmy b in between greats tommy tedesco and joe pass...tommy t playing a fender d'aquisto...according to our own wintermoon here, when jimmy returned to philly after living in LA...he brought back a fender d'aquisto!!...jimmy B loved tommy t

The Jimmy Bruno Thread-joe-pass2-jpg

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-01-2020 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah NA, not Tommy's guitar though, the one Jimmy was using had a black finish, but maybe he dug Tommy's and bought his own. it's pictured on his debut recording, when it hit that cd had a lot of guitar players scrambling!
    Last edited by wintermoon; 04-02-2020 at 02:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Great interview and as usual Jimmy pulls no punches.
    Part of his personality, never sugar coats anything, maybe abrasive to some, but he wouldn't be Jimmy if he did!
    Tells it like it is, or at least how he sees things....hope he never changes and at this point doubt he will.

User Info Menu

There was a period of time when Jimmy posted on YouTube every morning. Live from the bunker. Casual and unfiltered every day. When he picked up a guitar there were often gems to be had, free for the taking. A remarkable thing, enabled by 21st century communication technology.

User Info Menu

Phew! That was some interview.

Kind of a downer. Just a few years ago Jimmy too was on the skids financially.

Kenny Burrell, Pat Martino, etc.

Momma, don't let your kids grow up to be cowboys.

(Smooth jazz must be what Jimmy refers to as "f*cking jukebox jazz".)

User Info Menu

well jimmy says in ^ interview..if he had just been a gigging club musician he'd be in serious trouble...but he put in years as a contracted session man in vegas and la and therefore gets some benefits, soc sec etc...pat martino was never that kind of player...and pat also has had serious health issues most of his life!! sad

cheers

Jkniff26 Guest
    I got a notification today that he is doing a live feed tomorrow at 2pm EST on youtube. It’s on his channel ,If you’re home....I’m still working , but home tomorrow. He did one last week and had a real nice easy swing going. Super relaxed, but the sound was awful. Hopefully the rocket scientists in his band get it figured out for tomorrow. I was bummed. It sounded like he was playing inside a big fish tank. Anyway tune in if ya can. He seems slightly less irritated these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler

(Smooth jazz must be what Jimmy refers to as "f*cking jukebox jazz".)
    Pretty sure he means taking popular tunes of other genres and arranging them in a more Jazz fashion. He lives near Philly where radio WRTI has a regulat Saturday night show called "Jukebox Jazz" where they feature this kind of thing.

User Info Menu

I'll listen for a long time to Jimmy. But there was also this photo from last year. My god, he's looking old. Maybe it's just the angle or the light, I hope so.

The Jimmy Bruno Thread-special-night-birdland-3-jpeg

User Info Menu

haha he’s not wrong