Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    We probably have all heard his work through Steely Dan, but I wasn't aware of his straight ahead playing, and recently discovered his YouTube channel. A lot of top notch solo jazz guitar arrangements and playing!

    Here's the channel
    Jon Herington
    - YouTube

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I saw him with the Dan in 03. Fantastic player, great combination of fire and restraint. Will look at the vid/channel tomorrow, thanks for posting it!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Musicians discovering YouTube.

    get off my patch! ;-)

    Herington is killing.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I dig the plectrum thing as well. No fancy pants pretty pretty shenanigans, just good honest playing.

    I def think there’s an old school swing vibe to his jazz playing. Thought that when I heard him play with Madeleine Peyroux last year. Who did he study with again?

    that guitar is lurvely

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    He started out as a straight ahead player, but found he could get more work by playing in a lot of different styles, really well. I heard some tapes of his straight ahead single-line playing that he did when he was in Indianapolis a long time ago, and it was pretty great.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I dig the plectrum thing as well. No fancy pants pretty pretty shenanigans, just good honest playing.

    I def think there’s an old school swing vibe to his jazz playing. Thought that when I heard him play with Madeleine Peyroux last year. Who did he study with again?

    that guitar is lurvely
    He studied with the two great jazz guitar gurus, Dennis Sandole, and Harry Leahey. The small group jazz things I heard featured his keyboard playing friend, Jim Beard.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Herington is such a versatile guitarist...one of the great ones. I loved his work with Steely Dan.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    He studied with the two great jazz guitar gurus, Dennis Sandole, and Harry Leahey. The small group jazz things I heard featured his keyboard playing friend, Jim Beard.
    you know, a few seconds in, watching his right hand [arm] I could tell he studied w Dennis and Harry
    my pal the late Howard Krive was a Sandole disciple and studied w/ Harry, same technique
    elbow son, elbow......

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    He made me buy a Yamaha THR10C amp and a Yamaha SA-2200 guitar. Regardless, I still like him a lot !

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    you know, a few seconds in, watching his right hand [arm] I could tell he studied w Dennis and Harry
    my pal the late Howard Krive was a Sandole disciple and studied w/ Harry, same technique
    elbow son, elbow......
    The myth was that Sandole wanted his students to keep a stiff wrist, and pick only from the elbow, but in the Billy Bean bio, he always insisted that BB should keep a loose wrist, and pick from a combination of the elbow (forearm) and wrist.
    The same myth surrounded Johnny Smith's picking technique, and by extension (since he studied with JS), Harry Leahey.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    He studied with the two great jazz guitar gurus, Dennis Sandole, and Harry Leahey. The small group jazz things I heard featured his keyboard playing friend, Jim Beard.
    Cheers - it was Sandole I was thinking of. Leahey I know less about.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Nice! The last time I looked at jonherington.com most of the stuff was more blues oriented so it is great to see him doing this kind of thing. (Incidentally, it looks like his site has had a major redesign since then, with a lot of different kinds of things available, including a book of solo guitar arrangements.)

    I had also heard the interview where he said he used to be really into straight-ahead but chose to pursue a more commercially viable direction. Absolutely loved his stuff with SD.

    A few years ago, I was in a coffee shop in Oregon when I turned around and there he was, in line behind me! I had a total fanboy moment and told him how much I loved his playing, then bought his coffee for him and went on my way. He was appearing with The Dukes of September. I had seen the tour bus come into town maybe about ten minutes earlier and I guess he headed straight for the coffee shop :-)