The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Nice! Thanks for posting!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John's a treasure. His vibrato on that acoustic track is out of this world.

User Info Menu

Nice to see inside his home. He's a great individual voice in jazz. Long may he keep playing.

User Info Menu

What a great sound by all involved—especially John’s tone—fat! Loving his guitar too...major GAS attack...

I‘be never seen John Medenski live but he plays the hell out of that organ...never seen anybody use the stops like that (even Keith Emerson).

(Just as an aside, I don’t know if Sco was wearing the mask for a legit reason—he is the old guy there—or as a kind of statement, but he really wouldn’t have to wear a mask in that situation where he’s standing at least 10’ from the next guy.)

Anyway, thanks for posting that! Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I‘be never seen John Medenski live but he plays the hell out of that organ...never seen anybody use the stops like that (even Keith Emerson).
    I was just thinking about Medeski's various "extended techniques" the other day (his mastery of organ stops, his use of things like wah-wah, his use of a variety of vintage keyboards in addition to the Hammond), and wondering if some player or players from the next generation are following his lead. It reminds me of the situation with jazz guitar, where in the 1950s and 1960s, the main players basically had a more limited range of equipment and sounds (which I love). Then in the 1970s and 1980s, players began to add to the basic setup--Bill Frisell certainly comes to mind. And Sco, and lots of others (especially when you start looking at fusion and ECM-style players like Terje Rypdal).

Medeski seems in one respect to be the Frisell of keyboards, with his obsessive (in a good way) attention to tone and finding new sounds. I don't hear his range of tones in any jazz organ player from the classic era.

I think you can find traces of, for example, Frisell's innovations in lots of younger guitar players' technique...has (or will) Medeski have that same kind of impact, or is organ just too specialized an instrument compared to guitar? I don't know all the current organ players, especially in the jam band scene. I hope Medeski's innovations get carried forward, and people don't worry to much about getting accused of sounding too much like MMW. Sounding like Coltrane never stopped every post-bop tenor sax player born after 1960.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Medeski seems in one respect to be the Frisell of keyboards, with his obsessive (in a good way) attention to tone and finding new sounds. I don't hear his range of tones in any jazz organ player from the classic era.
    Keith Emerson did for the Hammond B3 what Jimi Hendrix did for the Strat.

I agree that Medeski is kind of like the Frisell of keyboards. (Another guitarist that comes to mind is Nels Cline.)

The problem with keys is that one can get so involved in tinkering with the settings that one loses sight of just playing the dang thing. Medeski is enough of a virtuoso to be able to play and tinker at the same time.

Let's not forget about the rhythm section. Martin and Murphy are just rock solid. The music would sound like amorphous noodling without their firm foundation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Let's not forget about the rhythm section. Martin and Murphy are just rock solid. The music would sound like amorphous noodling without their firm foundation.
    Loved hearing Murphy with Sco again. I like Chris Wood a lot, but I absolutely didn't miss him at all with Murphy holding it down. Martin is so zen and relaxed looking while being so funky. He's like Jeff Bridges 'The Dude' character sitting on a drum throne.