The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12
    joelf Guest
    This solo performance is only one facet of this remarkable young man's scope. He's setting the world on fire IMO---a game-changer with his own language. Keep your ears open...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest

User Info Menu

Smash Hits is a good record.

joelf Guest
    With one group he's in:

User Info Menu

Huh. De gustibus non est disputandum appears to apply. He's got chops, but what he's playing makes no sense to me. Someone with more modern/better ears may have a different experience.

joelf Guest
    It may not make sense b/c it's new---no familiar category to put him in. I hear it, and he's just beginning. When I heard Reinier's Black Narcissus (posted above) I heard something new and exciting---at least to me.

A lot of the newer players, here and abroad, play more by phrases. The vid of the group I posted above is a good example. The phrases are the rhythm, not a groove. Motian, Frisell, and Lovano were doing this 20 years ago, and may have influenced this new generation. I didn't dig it all that much myself---at first.

It goes counter to what we've been hearing for so long, and these guys do not swing, or care to. I may have had a problem with that until fairly recently. But things do change---right or wrong or whatever. The old ways will always be here, and we can only grow by at least tasting the new. I'm not gonna follow his lead b/c I believe in what I'm doing, but I'd like to broaden the palette by maybe embracing a few ideas of these new, innovative players. It's evolution, and as John Birks Gillespie said when the swing players resisted and trashed bebop: (paraphrasing) 'Where were they gonna go? You can't hide from the sun'...

joelf Guest
    Actually, a lot of the harmonic moves---open string voicings, etc.---he uses at the beginning of Black Narcissus are very rooted in folk music, and are 'guitaristic'. Nothing new about that aspect, but a creative embrace of tradition...

User Info Menu

That first video comes from this complete show from Reinier Baas and Jesse van Ruller.

User Info Menu

I like the way he’ll play a bunch of crazy intervallic stuff and do a goofy little Django triplet.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan, saw him last year playing with a big band & as a duet with Mary Halvorson the next day at North Sea Jazz...which I guess is cancelled this year...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    It may not make sense b/c it's new---no familiar category to put him in. I hear it, and he's just beginning. When I heard Reinier's Black Narcissus (posted above) I heard something new and exciting---at least to me.

[snip]

It goes counter to what we've been hearing for so long, and these guys do not swing, or care to.
    Maybe. I struggle some with Ben Monder for similar reasons, yet some of his stuff I find remarkably beautiful. I think I do want to hear groove, not necessarily swing (I mean, I'm a Deadhead too).

joelf Guest
    All good...