The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

...and not a single note was played. Too bad, as I really like his blues phrasing. Nice guy. Sees the mobile phone as the enemy of music - interesting!

User Info Menu

I enjoyed that immensely. Robben Ford is one of my all-time favorite musicians. I snagged a few brief moments one on one with him after a show at The Mystic Theater in Petaluma CA. He was gracious, humble and genuine. I told him how much of an inspiration he was for me, and also how wonderful the songwriting was on his new album (it was the Supernatural tour). He was genuinely appreciative that I mentioned the songwriting and told me how hard he’d worked on those songs. It was so great to hear his reminiscences of time spent with Miles Davis in that interview. No wonder his music is so inspiring - he plays from the heart and channels his humanity into every note. Thanks so much for posting that.

User Info Menu

Checked this video yesterday evening. Rick did a great job asking decent questions and allowing Robben to get comfortable and just talk. Well done, and I enjoyed Robben's comments.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know of a video of Beato actually playing? Aside from little examples in lessons.

User Info Menu

Anyone have a video of Robben playing Jazz? I couldn't find anything on YT. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Anyone have a video of Robben playing Jazz? I couldn't find anything on YT. Good playing . . . Marinero
    This is a pretty good example. Robben's solo is second. He's obviously a blues player, but he clearly understands changes, and how to access sounds outside standard blues licks. Whole record is worth a listen.

User Info Menu

Depends on what you mean by jazz. Yellow Jackets, Tom Scott/LA Express, Joni Mitchell (Hissing of Summer Lawns), mutltiple instrumental albums under his own name, toured with Miles in '86 (there are youtubes of this). As a session player, he's on tons of records from the late 70s through mid-late 80s, and there are probably some (likely uncredited) straightahead sessions in there. Some of the stuff he did with Jimmy Witherspoon straddles the line between blues and jazz (e.g, tunes like "Ain't Nobody's Business"). He also did all kinds of casuals/club dates/GB when he was starting out, but I'm not aware of any pure straightahead recordings of him.

John

User Info Menu

Look for the video entitled Rhythmstick which features Dizzy Gillespie, Art Farmer and a cornucopia of jazz giants. Robben is in a few of the combos. It was filmed early in the days of hi-def digital video using (at the time) state of the art Sony digital video and audio recording equipment. I think it’s from the mid/late 90s. I own it on Laserdisc. Still have my copy. Unfortunately I don’t have a working Laserdisc player any longer...

Here’s more info.

User Info Menu

Interesting version of Duke Ellington's Sophisticated lady:

User Info Menu

Even though this is a jazz forum, blues can blur the line towards jazz. Robben's an artist, songwritter, and is bluesy. Why try to find Robben playing a jazz standard or some such thing? I prefer to enjoy him playing in his wheelhouse, playing his own songs.

Last edited by fep; 03-12-2020 at 12:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I believe there's a YouTube video with Robben playing with Les Paul at the Iridium Club , playing a Charlie Parker std.

User Info Menu

Check out the Rickie Lee Jones album Pop Pop

I listened to it many many years before I realized it was RF playing lovely nylon string jazz accompaniment to RLJ. Perfect jazz playing. Plus joe Henderson and Charlie haden I think. And perfect tune selection.

I haven't really gotten into RF otherwise but that's just a perfect album.

But also recently heard this and it's perfect:

User Info Menu

Saw Robben mid 70s at a jazz club in Boulder, Colorado. He was with Paul McCandless on oboe and Carol Kaye on bass. Can't remember the rhythm section. He was playing a 335 through a blackface Deluxe Reverb. That was it.... oh and a cord and a pick. His sound and playing were soaring. Great player thanks for the post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Interesting version of Duke Ellington's Sophisticated lady:

Thanks for posting that. Absolute perfection IMHO

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have an audio version of Robben playing Billie's Bounce wth Frisell, which is pretty awesome. And his rendition of Revelation on Talk To Your Daughter is spectacular.

Another gem is an album he played on by AJ Croce years ago. Ron Carter is on bass, and Keltner on drums. Robben plays thru changes with no problem at all, and inflicts everything with that great bluesy touch of his.

Lastly, listen to him and Carlton on the live album they did together.

User Info Menu

This straddle the blues/jazz line imho

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the great replies. Now I have some listening to do! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Well, I guess I was looking for what Jeff and Rob provided and I couldn't find. Robben is definetly a consummate musician and I liked his playing in those two pieces. And, I actually think he played some tasty licks and had a great sense of timing in his improvisations. Definitely, I would like to hear more from him playing straight ahead Jazz. As far as the bluesy element to his playing in these pieces, I liked it since it was subtle, not overdone and it is very close to the "Chicago Guitar" sound I grew up with in Jazz. The big band piece was excellent. His playing on this piece was spartan, creative and clear. And, the flugelhorns were a real treat for me. I played for years as a horn player with two trumpets, sax and flugelhorn/trumpet and I love that sound. The bluesy stuff of his I know. Thanks to everyone for your offerings. This is what's great about this Forum! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

here live in 1980 with Freddie Hubbard (tp) Randy Brecker (tp) Michael Brecker (ts) Joe Farrell (ts) Joe Henderson (ts) George Duke (keyboards) Alphonso Johnson (bass) Peter Erskine (drums)

short guitar solo starting @ 5:12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    This straddle the blues/jazz line imho
    I'm thinking 100% jazz. A regular blues player wouldn't get within 5 miles of that phrasing/note choice. Great tone on that Tele-LP c/w Heritage style headstock!

User Info Menu

The greatest lesson that so many never learn, or they get caught up in their own self and forget @ 16:40.

User Info Menu

Here he is on Oleo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    here live in 1980 with Freddie Hubbard (tp) Randy Brecker (tp) Michael Brecker (ts) Joe Farrell (ts) Joe Henderson (ts) George Duke (keyboards) Alphonso Johnson (bass) Peter Erskine (drums)

short guitar solo starting @ 5:12

Geeez,
    10 minutes on stage and no fire extinguisher?? This certainly defines "Tenor Madness." Nice playing by Robben, however, I don't like the effects he uses for his guitar-- a very rock-based sound. R.I.P. Michael Brecker . . . the Jazz world lost one of the great tenor saxophonists ever. Good playing . . . Marinero