The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Always enjoyed Robben- for me he is at his best here tween blues and jazz with some brilliant bandmates !!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love his playing but not his singing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I love his playing but not his singing.
    Have to say I agree. What an ironic that one of the greatest guitar players on this planet focusing on his mediocre songwriting and singing. Sigh. He used to be my number one many years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tele3
    Have to say I agree. What an ironic that one of the greatest guitar players on this planet focusing on his mediocre songwriting and singing. Sigh. He used to be my number one many years ago.
    That's interesting. I've heard people talk reverentially about him since I restarted on guitar but when I listened to his recordings I was totally non-plussed. But he is prominent on one of my fav recordings ever (Pop Pop by Rickie Lee Jones) playing nylon string jazz.

This thread was helpful for seeing the diversity of his recordings.

User Info Menu

I dunno, i think the thing people get hung up about re his singing is the timbre of his voice. I actually think his phrasing and pitch are fine.

User Info Menu

Go listen to Talk to Your Daughter if you aren’t sure about Robben.

He was my transition from blues into jazz, sure he has been for many.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    That's interesting. I've heard people talk reverentially about him since I restarted on guitar but when I listened to his recordings I was totally non-plussed. But he is prominent on one of my fav recordings ever (Pop Pop by Rickie Lee Jones) playing nylon string jazz.

This thread was helpful for seeing the diversity of his recordings.
    You probably will like the band called Once Blue, which was Rebbeca Martin and Jesse Harris's project in 90s. Kurt Rosenwinkel played with them. Rebecca Martin has also released several albums and in mid 00s she recorded with KR, Brian Blade, and Larry Grenadier, who is her husband. It's called The Growing Season. I really love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tele3
    You probably will like the band called Once Blue, which was Rebbeca Martin and Jesse Harris's project in 90s. Kurt Rosenwinkel played with them. Rebecca Martin has also released several albums and in mid 00s she recorded with KR, Brian Blade, and Larry Grenadier, who is her husband. It's called The Growing Season. I really love it.
    Thanks that does sound up my alley

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Interesting version of Duke Ellington's Sophisticated lady:

Interesting choice of gear... he said in the Rick Beato interview that he always uses his Dumble, but I didn't really expect that in this situation! And a Tele ... also interesting for this setting. Of course, he sounds great, I'd expect no less. Thanks for posting this, Rob!