The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 79 of 79

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't think Billy Bean, the ballplayer, was a thing when the song was written. He didn't become well known until he came out, and even now he's not famous, unknown outside baseball. But the guitar player...
    Cats in the know know Bean, but he's not more well known than the ballplayer, even w out his orientation putting him in the public eye. In the jazz world most average or even slightly more informed listeners haven't heard of him. And if you asked most jazz guitarists to name their top 20, I'd bet he doesn't crack most folks lists, only because they haven't heard him, he's still pretty obscure even today. But if you're really informed you know he was an absolute monster player, he's easily in my top 10, probably 5 ever.
    Damn shame, but we have the recordings, he was real.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philwilkinson
    I just discovered him and I'm making as many transcriptions as possible. I can hear how so many great guitarists have taken from him. Pat Martino talks about him and even pat metheny mentioned him in some masterclass too. His articulation is amazing. Doesn't make sense he's so unknown and recorded so little. Any one else know more about him? He died in 2012 I think.
    You will want to get the biography (available in both printed and e-book formats) by Seth Greenberg, who was able to conduct interviews with Billy towards the end of his life. Midoriyama Publishing
    Right now, the unabridged e-book edition is on sale for just $17.95, which includes pages of Billy's own transcriptions and charts.

User Info Menu

The bebop guitar corners of Facebook I frequent have been very excited this weekend at the discover of 28 seconds of footage of Barry Harris, Butch Warren and BILLY BEAN at the start of this unreleased and incomplete documentary from the 1960s.

Bean is playing an L7 with a CC pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    The bebop guitar corners of Facebook I frequent have been very excited this weekend at the discover of 28 seconds of footage of Barry Harris, Butch Warren and BILLY BEAN at the start of this unreleased and incomplete documentary from the 1960s.

Bean is playing an L7 with a CC pickup.

Smokin!