The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 79

User Info Menu

I got the CD "The Trio" a couple of weeks ago. They are a tight group.

Billy Bean's playing sounded a lot like Tal Farlow at times, with a little Pat Martino thrown in.

To be honest, I have mixed feeling about Tal's playing, which to my ears is pretty unique. The way he starts and stops his lines on some songs and his rhythmic variations often don't jibe with what I look for in Jazz.

Maybe it is a little too complex. Maybe my ears and taste are too simple.

But the band was tight and I still enjoyed the CD.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Thanks for introducing me to Billy Bean's playing - it doesn't get better than this.

User Info Menu

Been (bean ?) listening to "The Trio" & "The Trio:Rediscovered" CDs heavily (on headphones) this past few weeks, and,

Billy's using ROUNDWOUNDS !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Like someone mentioned in the thread on the Tal Farlow tone, his tone is incredible and very close to the 50s TF tone I dig so much.
    The Trio Rediscovered is constantly playing my ipod since 2 weeks now
    Same here. I discovered The Trio album only around a year ago and I listen to it a lot. I tend to listen mostly to guitar albums made in the 50s (Farlow, Raney, Kessell, etc.. and than of course Wes) so it was great to hear something that sounded familiar but was fresh. Bean has a great tone and I really enjoy his playing.

User Info Menu

Billy Bean didn't die young. He passed in 2012 at age 78.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Billy Bean didn't die young. He passed in 2012 at age 78.
    Thank you for the correction, I was misinformed , having been told previously that he died at
    an early age due to alcoholism. I hadn't realised also that Hal Galper lived to the age of 86 &
    played for big name Jazz groups ,and Tony Bennett , a remarkable Bassist. I suggest if The Trio
    was around in the present day , they would be hugely popular as their sound is timeless.

regards
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 02-13-2017 at 09:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Thank you for the correction, I was misinformed , having been told previously that he died at
    an early age due to alcoholism. I hadn't realised also that Hal Galper lived to the age of 86 &
    played for big name Jazz groups ,and Tony Bennett , a remarkable Bassist. I suggest if The Trio
    was around in the present day , they would be hugely popular as their sound is timeless.

regards
    Hal Galper plays piano and is still very much with us. You're thinking of Hal Gaylor.

User Info Menu

I've been listening to these two albums recently, both of which feature contributions from Billy Bean.

John Lewis - 'Essence' (subtitled 'John Lewis Plays the Compositions & Arrangements of Gary McFarland')

Bean shares the guitar chair with Jim Hall. I don't recall any solos from Bean, but for those who are only familiar with his playing on 'The Trio', it's interesting to hear how he plays in a larger group setting.

Herbie Mann - 'Brazil, Bossa Nova & Blues'

Though the musicianship across the recording is of course excellent, the music is a little "light" for my taste. It's worth tracking down for Bean's solos on half the tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I've been listening to these two albums recently, both of which feature contributions from Billy Bean.

Herbie Mann - 'Brazil, Bossa Nova & Blues'

Though the musicianship across the recording is of course excellent, the music is a little "light" for my taste. It's worth tracking down for Bean's solos on half the tracks.
    FYI to all, I picked up this album in the "double album" version which also has the album "Right Now" on it and, together, I think Billy's playing on it is just amazing. It's also great to hear his playing in different styles of music. I'm a bebop nut but I love this double album. Highly highly recommended. After "The Trio" this is my favorite example of Billy's playing and this is perhaps even on par with The Trio to be honest...and I have pretty much all his stuff (duo albums, Bud Shank album, etc).

Pick it up, you'll be glad you did...but try to get the double album: https://www.amazon.com/Herbie-Mann-B...ustomerReviews

User Info Menu

I started a thread with this and only one person responded. So, I'll share this link in this thread- for all you Bean heads

Billy Bean Jazz Guitarist plays Mr.PC (John Coltrane) - Video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

I often think the Billy's (Bean and Bauer) are the two most underrated guitar players in jazz history. Good to see this thread pop back up, lots of great stuff in it.

User Info Menu

Just got that Herbie Mann twofer. Billy's playing is spectacular throughout!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMoore
    Just got that Herbie Mann twofer. Billy's playing is spectacular throughout!
    Yeah man, that's what I'm saying! It's literally all I've listened to this week..and I've done a lot of listening this week. His comping is also superb (just like on Bud Shank's Slippery When Wet, but I prefer these Herbie albums overall).

User Info Menu

I bought the "Right Now" Herbie Mann LP years ago, and it had some good Bean on it, but he doesn't get a lot of solo space on it.
    Does he get more solo space on the six cuts from Brazil, Bossa Nova and Blues?
    You can also hear him on some of the Charlie Ventura LPs when he was part of CV's Quintet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I bought the "Right Now" Herbie Mann LP years ago, and it had some good Bean on it, but he doesn't get a lot of solo space on it.
    Does he get more solo space on the six cuts from Brazil, Bossa Nova and Blues?
    You can also hear him on some of the Charlie Ventura LPs when he was part of CV's Quintet.
    No, Herbie likes him some Herbie, he usually plays the melody and then takes a long solo which ends w the tune being half over. Then his sidemen get about a chorus each and that's about it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    No, Herbie likes him some Herbie, he usually plays the melody and then takes a long solo which ends w the tune being half over. Then his sidemen get about a chorus each and that's about it
    I concur, but Billy comping and unison lines are still a treat. The audio's instrument separation is very good. It's about as fine comping as you will ever hear IMO. I'm from the Raney/Bean school of comping. Nothing too fancy...no crazy moving lines. Just good nuts and bolts comping tastefully applied, not over-comping.

Still, I think there are a few tunes where Billy takes a couple choruses. It's definitely worth picking up!

User Info Menu

Agreed, any Billy Bean audio is worth hearing.

User Info Menu

recently read a west coast cat (forgot exactly who!...maybe @ the smithsonian jazz interview page) talking about billy bean..he was only there for a couple of years...he'd appear at sundown and stay up and out all night..go home..and no one would see him again till the next evening!!! maybe some daytime woodshedding..or just zzzz recovery!! haha

the great john pisano dug him, and they did a few low fi recordings..with dennis budimir too!...so that tells you something!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Great news!
    Now available: The updated and the expanded second edition of the Billy Bean biography @
    midoriyamapublishing.com

Billy Bean-300x300-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I asked Larry Coryell about this song and what influence Bean had on him at an L.A. jazz club. Jimmy Smith was the star (and sadly he died within months), and Larry was asked to sit in. Much of the show was Coryell with bass and drums since Jimmy could only play two songs before he needed to rest.

Anyhow, Coryell had only positive things to say about Billy Bean.

PS: When I first saw there was a song Billy Bean, I assumed it was the MLB player. Yea, I was clueless about Bean the guitarist, and this song and talking to Larry made me get off my duff and get as many Bean recordings as I could find.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's a great album!

I just discovered him and I'm making as many transcriptions as possible. I can hear how so many great guitarists have taken from him. Pat Martino talks about him and even pat metheny mentioned him in some masterclass too. His articulation is amazing. Doesn't make sense he's so unknown and recorded so little. Any one else know more about him? He died in 2012 I think.

User Info Menu

I don't think Billy Bean, the ballplayer, was a thing when the song was written. He didn't become well known until he came out, and even now he's not famous, unknown outside baseball. But the guitar player...