The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch mentioned this on his Facebook page. He knew Charlie.

Blues star 'Little' Charlie Baty of the Nightcats has died

Great player, mixing swing and blues with aplomb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A much more recent performance with Junior Watson.
    Charlie puts a lot of quotes into his playing and I enjoy that.
    You can also see he sings what he plays....

User Info Menu

oh thats more sad news..on the wake of mccoy..baty was a sensational player...he actually was an established first rate harmonica player for years on the scene, and then suddenly switched to guitar...on which he seemed equally proficient!!...supposedly a gent of the highest intelligence...junior watson speaks nothing but good about him

sorry to hear of his passing...a little known great

here he was fairly recently with fellow forum member grez guitars

rip cb

cheers

User Info Menu

Sad news. RIP Charlie.

User Info Menu

A short set by Little Charlie & the Nightcats from the VHS days.
    Posted this in the "Blues Thread" too, as it fits there as well.

User Info Menu

if grez sees this....is that a lollar cc on the guitar you made charlie?...a beauty of a guitar! looks and tone

rip cb

cheers

User Info Menu

There are a number of videos of Charlie Baty playing Charlie Christian/Benny Goodman tunes on the "swingyoucats" channel on YouTube. He could play.

User Info Menu

Huge loss of a tremendously talented man. RIP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are a number of videos of Charlie Baty playing Charlie Christian/Benny Goodman tunes on the "swingyoucats" channel on YouTube. He could play.
    Tim Lerch (member here, but posting on Facebook) said he knew Charlie from working in a guitar store where Charlie came in from time to time. Tim says they once jammed on "Cherokee" for half an hour.

Charlie reminds me of Duke Robillard in that both are primarily blues players but have a great feel (and love) for swing and jump music, and they know lots of standards. (Charlie quotes a lot of them in his playing.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    if grez sees this....is that a lollar cc on the guitar you made charlie?...a beauty of a guitar! looks and tone

rip cb

cheers
    Hi Neatomic, It's a NOS Seymour Duncan. They don't make them anymore. I'm told that Seymour personally made them and when he retired, so did this model. A friend of Charlie's had it laying around and donated it to the project. He owns an original ES-150 but didn't want to take it out any more and wanted something custom with his favorite appointments and specs that was some where between the 150 and 250. It's an honor that he chose me to work with to create it for him.

Barry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Here's one, "Flying Home."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grez
    Hi Neatomic, It's a NOS Seymour Duncan. They don't make them anymore. I'm told that Seymour personally made them and when he retired, so did this model. A friend of Charlie's had it laying around and donated it to the project. He owns an original ES-150 but didn't want to take it out any more and wanted something custom with his favorite appointments and specs that was some where between the 150 and 250. It's an honor that he chose me to work with to create it for him.

Barry
    aha..even better..seymour made traditional repro with the large magnets..wonderful!...only cc pickups in uk still making them true vintage like that these days

great work grez

cheers

User Info Menu

So sad. I really admired his playing and groove.

User Info Menu

He was certainly a mover and a shaker. I've never seen a video in which he was still. He could play.

User Info Menu

definitely a Christian disciple among others of course, and playing a vintage CC equipped ES-150 to boot, nice interplay between the 2 guitars, the trumpet player got a kick out of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Here's one, "Flying Home."

yeah...nice clip!!..great tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Guitar lesson by Charlie Baty. (Opening live footage---CC classic!---gives way to Q&A.)
    Video quality: NOT great. But...

User Info Menu

Part 2 of the Guitar Lesson