And check out the axe he's using:
    James Taylor: "Almost Like Being In Love" - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

is it a Dangelico ?

User Info Menu

That was nice. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I wonder if they’re buds at all. Seems like they could be.

User Info Menu

That sure was pleasant.

John's played JT tunes in his set for years, I'd say at the least, a mutual admiration.

User Info Menu

John's playing his dad's D'Angelico, no?

User Info Menu

JT's using one of Allan Holdsworth's rhythm sections -- Chad Wackerman and Jimmy Johnson.

User Info Menu

Competent folks, all around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    John's playing his dad's D'Angelico, no?
    Yes, I believe that is the case. I can't find any pictures of Bucky (or John) with that guitar specifically. Though TFJ did post this a week or so back:

The Fretboard Journal on Instagram: “Fly on the wall as John Pizzarelli picked up Bucky’s ‘34 D’Angelico from TR Crandall. This amazing archtop started life as a tenor guitar…”

User Info Menu

I know Bucky had at least 2 DA's, I saw him a very long time ago playing a solo gig w one.
    He also had one he lent Les Paul, and Les kept it for a couple yrs much to Buckys chagrin, but eventually got it back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I can't find any pictures of Bucky (or John) with that guitar specifically.
    Bucky plays that guitar here:

User Info Menu

Sweet little solo from Larry Goldings too!

User Info Menu

Gosh, Goldings has walked down that lonesome road with Taylor for over 40 years.

Yep, that's Bucky's guitar.

User Info Menu

I started listening to JT when the Apple album came out and have been a fan ever since. I taught myself how to play fingerstyle figuring out so many of his tunes. Thank you for posting that link. We DVR’d that episode but something went wrong and I missed the performance. Been meaning to track it down on the interwebs. You saved me several taps.

User Info Menu

Also, his new album is waiting at the post office for me (along with Sierra Hull’s).

User Info Menu

i dug that melodica solo..beautiful little instrument..hohner!

jts always been a fine picker

cheers

JT did a weird interview on NPR plugging his new album, on which he only plays standards.
    He said that those songs (standards) had been with him a long time, and then a funny thing happened called the 60s.
    He seemed to be implying that the 60s were a wrong detour that music took.
    I know he didn't like what rock music did to the folk music scene back then.
    He used to call the folk revival the "Folk Scare" of the early 60s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    He used to call the folk revival the "Folk Scare" of the early 60s.
    I always though that Martin Mull coined "The Great Folk Music Scare of the 1960s".

User Info Menu

sorry...veering... but can't help seeing a martin mull reference without thinkin of this

3 geniuses...mull, willard & waits

cheeers

User Info Menu

I've always liked and respected James Taylor's music and he's always surrounded himself with excellent musicians who help make him shine. He's also underrated as a guitar player, I think, but I just didn't like this performance/arrangement. The great American standards songbook just seems like a glove that doesn't quite fit him. That said kudos to him for following his own path.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    sorry...veering... but can't help seeing a martin mull reference without thinkin of this

3 geniuses...mull, willard & waits

cheeers
    I heard this mock commercial 30 years ago on WBAI, and had no idea who did it. I finally found it on you tube. I should've known it was the great MM!

User Info Menu

hah..great to see the mull appreciation..he was always playing some nice gibson guitars!!..and for fernwood tonight he had frank devol as band leader and the great tommy tedesco on guitar...

heres tommy t's remembrance

mull is also a great visual artist/painter

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hah..great to see the mull appreciation..he was always playing some nice gibson guitars!!..and for fernwood tonight he had frank devol as band leader and the great tommy tedesco on guitar...

heres tommy t's remembrance

mull is also a great visual artist/painter

cheers
    Yeah, that blonde L5 Mull always played came up for sale a few years ago. It was priced @ market value and sold pretty quick.

"Frank Devol"
    Happy Kyne and the Mirthmakers!
    Go watch any old tv show, almost guaranteed you'll see "music by Devol" in the credits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I've always liked and respected James Taylor's music and he's always surrounded himself with excellent musicians who help make him shine. He's also underrated as a guitar player, I think, but I just didn't like this performance/arrangement. The great American standards songbook just seems like a glove that doesn't quite fit him. That said kudos to him for following his own path.
    I started listening to JTs new album American Standard. I’m a diehard fan so can’t pass up his releases but admit I was predisposed to being underwhelmed before I started listening. His Covers CDs of some years ago didn’t really grab me, as much as I love to hear his voice and guitar in new settings. But I am completely charmed by this album. The arrangements are a combination of classic JT understated but sophisticated fingerstyle with a lushly recorded ensemble of stellar musicians. He’s wrapped his voice beautifully around these great old songs and sounds like he’s thoroughly enjoying himself. I wish JT and his brother Liv would put out an album of just the two of them playing a bunch of tunes, just their two voices and guitars. I doubt we’ll ever get it - they seem to be on separate musical paths that rarely intersect.

User Info Menu

This is great! Thanks for posting.