Jazz Guitar
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Jimmy Wyble is gone

I got this not this AM from my good friend, David Oakes, a close associate of Jimmy Wyble's:

Bad news about Jimmy. He passed away this morning about 5:25. He went peacefully surrounded by people that loved him very much. He will be missed but never forgotten.

Mr. Wyble sent me a copy of his book, "Classical Country" several years ago, with lots of his handwritten notes of encouragement to me, which was more than priceless the moment I opened the package. I know that David Oakes had been working with him to sort out his garage and organize all his writings; I'm sure there's enough there to captivate us all for decades. What a great and generous man.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Sad. I heard him play a duo with Howard Roberts years ago (at Donte's), and they were messing with stuff from the book you mentioned. It wasn't out yet, but Howard had heard Jimmy playing the stuff in the studio. I talked with Jimmy a bit and he seemed like a good person as well as a terrific player.

4. I found some pretty recent videos on youtube of Jimmy Wyble playing in a restaurant. I got kinda hooked. He was a good player. It's sad to find out he just died.

Jimmy

Howard Alden & I both studied with Jimmy after we finished at G.I.T. I am sorry he has gone. He was a gentle man with a great talent and will be missed by all.

wiz

I bet he was a great teacher. He had a lovely way of explaining what he was doing.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Here is the video mentioned above. It's a clip from some corny old film. You had to be great to play with Red Norvo:

Newbie!

Hi,

I just discovered Wyble when I was blown away while listening to Bob Wills' "Roly Poly" and looked up the guitarists - it credited Wyble & Cameron Hill? Longshot, but anyone know who plays what on that track? There are several incredibly tasty pieces of guitar playing, both at the beginning and later in the song - wondering if it's all Wyble? This is the version found on the 1935-1973 anthology (if there are others). Thanks much.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed