The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

TBF there’s not many who aren’t influenced by Django.

For instance people usually see the evolution from Wes, but I hear a lot Django in George Benson for instance. And I’m not the only one it would seem....

And then listening to bluegrass - the influence is more latent but it’s there...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pass the wine...

User Info Menu

Huge Hands, tiny hands...doesn't matter.

User Info Menu

Django - his legacy and predecessors-sw-jpg

Great Book. Not easy, but after a while you'll see the light

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe

This is the book I'm currently using. Wrembel did a video session Guitar World has put on YouTube over the past 6 months. The exercises are pretty much taken from the book, and using them together has been very helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
    This is the book I'm currently using. Wrembel did a video session Guitar World has put on YouTube over the past 6 months. The exercises are pretty much taken from the book, and using them together has been very helpful.
    I like that shape-concept. (see Herb Ellis, Charlie Christian)
    I'm at page 38 Django - his legacy and predecessors-wr-jpg

User Info Menu

I like that shape-concept. (see Herb Ellis, Charlie Christian)
    I'm at page 38 Django - his legacy and predecessors-wr-jpg
    That's a good one. I also like Sven Jungbeck's "Proper Chords" videos. They've helped me start on Minor Swing and All of Me.

User Info Menu

For a while I resisted it but the DC Music School stuff is great. You have to be a bit self motivated and know what you're looking for because it's mostly about great players, not necessarily great teachers. Also Dennis Chang is making some free youtube videos lately. The dude knows what he's talking about. I think he has some basic stuff on soundslice which I'm sure is good.

Sebastian Giniaux is my favorite. I've been working on one of his solos from the DC music school video for a few months. It was entirely over my head (and still is) but I've been slowly working on it phrase by phrase and it's taught me tons. He's just an impressive improvisor and just an amazing musician.

Also the Yorgui Loeffler one, there's not much teaching but his technique is unbelievable. He sort of does a hybrid gypsy picking thing where it's sort of in the spirit of the gypsy picking but he freely will backwards sweep or whatever else he needs to do. His picking arm is a like a machine, in a good way. Check out his Montagne St Genevieve recording on youtube, it's unreal.

Stephane's book is good. I wasn't quite as into his DC Music school video although there's some good stuff. If you get a chance to see him live, he's an impressive performer. He recently did a CD of Django's solo stuff (the "improvisations") that's really great. Also good because ensemble playing is a little unlikely at the moment.

The Sebastian Giniaux tracks on this album are my very favorite modern gypsy jazz

https://open.spotify.com/album/6tlXn...QZCPLnr4V0Ihpw
    Last edited by sully75; 06-12-2020 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75

The Sebastian Giniaux tracks on this album are my very favorite modern gypsy jazz

https://open.spotify.com/album/6tlXn...QZCPLnr4V0Ihpw
    What album is this? The link doesn't work for me.

Also, I had never heard of him and the first album that comes up is Franck Wolf's "Acoustic Five" record that was released in March. This is my kinda thing. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
    What album is this? The link doesn't work for me.

Also, I had never heard of him and the first album that comes up is Franck Wolf's "Acoustic Five" record that was released in March. This is my kinda thing. Thanks!
    The Album is:
    Le QuecumBar International Gypsy Swing Guitar Festival

Can't provide a link at the moment but it's on spotify.

Also if you haven't heard Tcha Limberger, he's extraordinary in a different way. I have a hard time listening to Tcha...only because he's so good and so emotional, it is somehow a little painful. He's got Edith Piaf level emotion. But truly an amazing musician. A sort of bookend to Sebastian. He's been putting out little videos on youtube during the pandemic, they are pretty amazing.

Sebastian and Tcha both know real gypsy music really well. Sebastian is also a classical cellist and plays electric perfectly. And Tcha is a great violinist. If you watch Tcha, watch the way he voices chords and moves voices. It's pretty wild.

Truly inspiring guys. I've seen Sebastian play live in Paris a few times and so glad I did.

User Info Menu

I actually wasn't a big fan of this book. However, it did get me started on the important concept of gypsy picking, especially down up down triplets.

I found Michael Horowitz's book "Gypsy picking" to be a better first book. If you haven't been in this forum yet you should:
    Recent Discussions — DjangoBooks Forum
    Helpful people there too.

User Info Menu

It's really great that a few of us are interested in Gypsy Jazz Guitar. Jimmy Rosenberg once said
    something like: If you're fast and know Django's Music you can play anything.
    (and how right he is...)
    I've played so called Jazz/Blues all my life and I wanted something new...and here it is.
    Lots and lots of new players to discover. (...and don't forget the "old" ones)

User Info Menu

What guitars are you playing ? I play a round-back nylon and I'm on the look-out for
    a gypsy guitar. Let's see.

This book is the best I ever found:
    Django - his legacy and predecessors-manouche-jpg

User Info Menu

I had a nice little "first" today. Was listening to Stephane Wrembel's version of All Of Me and I picked the guitar up and was able to transcribe each phrase (from half of one chorus) almost straightaway. I have really poor ears, but this is testament to learning the shapes and arpeggios from his book, getting the sound inside your own head and then... hey presto! I think this was a one-off, as I'm only starting this journey, too, but it was still kind of nice :-)

Derek

User Info Menu

It's really great that a few of us are interested in Gypsy Jazz Guitar. Jimmy Rosenberg once said
    something like: If you're fast and know Django's Music you can play anything.
    (and how right he is...)
    I've played so called Jazz/Blues all my life and I wanted something new...and here it is.
    Lots and lots of new players to discover. (...and don't forget the "old" ones)

Just for the record Gypsy jazz is thriving right now. (or was, before you know what). I was in Paris in February and March, there were shows every night. With the top players. In 10 or so days I saw Angelo Debarre, Sebastian Giniaux, Sami Daussat, Noe Reinhardt, etc etc. In the US there's probably at least a band's worth of players in every city. Here in Baltimore we have a pretty amazing scene. Really excellent professional players.

User Info Menu

If you're fast and know Django's Music you can play anything.
    Well that's 2 strikes against me. Better get practicing!

User Info Menu

Especially the old records have a wonderful warm sound. Sully75 is absolutely right that
    this music is all over the place. The Netherlands and France are hotbeds and it's a pity that
    so many festivals had been cancled this year.(we know why...)

User Info Menu

Another amazing player is Rocky Gresset. He's sort of a man of mystery. All the great players rave about him. I think he mostly works playing backup to other people.

I'm 90% sure he's playing nylon string here. It's an instagram post.
    Login • Instagram

User Info Menu

I take weekly lessons with Stephane. It helps to have him along with the book

User Info Menu

It must be remembered that Django had many musical and other creative talents: