The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

I couldn't make it up the Montmatre anymore...guess ev'rything's coming to its end.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    I couldn't make it up the Montmatre anymore...guess ev'rything's coming to its end.

It really demonstates that Gipsy Jazz grew up from Bal Musette

I lived 30 years in Paris between 1966 and 1996 and never liked Montmartre either. However there are lovely small cafes / bars Porte De Clignancourt, very close to the East side of "Marché aux Puces" (the big flea market inParis) where Gipsy Jazz is played regularly, without the Montmartre look & envahissement of nowadays.
    Last edited by mhch; 04-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Don’t forget the polka! :-)

User Info Menu

I should have thought of this much earlier, the celebration in Paris of Django's 100th birthday. Couldn't find any shot of the complete concert, just a few random extracts

This one certainly showing the larger Gipsy Jazz band your ever watched

And this one which is one that I already knew and which always impresses me the most

User Info Menu

Good old Amsterdam...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Alive and well...

User Info Menu

Family Tradition:

User Info Menu

Bucky, you're missed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    Alive and well...

I've seen those guys before. Super swinging. That's the feel I like. NOLA eh?

User Info Menu

Antoine Boyer posted this marvellous thing the other day:

To me this almost like Chopin on guitar or something. Amazing touch!

User Info Menu

Also his guitar is really cool. What is it?

User Info Menu

yes NOLA, the guitarist is Molly Reeves, excellent at swing comping!

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I don't know but that's sort of along the lines of my dream guitar. A modern F hole guitar (patterned after a D'Aquisto Centurion) but with Selmac guts and a humbucker pickup.

Not going to be commissioning anything anytime soon though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It is a custom Di Mauro Chorus style guitar built by French luthier Yohann Cholet.

User Info Menu

Keep it alive Boys...That's my kind of pensioners

User Info Menu

I really really love that old stuff. It's got a certain kind of dusty atmosphere.
    The Ferret Family of long gone times.

User Info Menu

Great Read.

Django - his legacy and predecessors-gj-jpg

User Info Menu

Hot Club Du Nax

User Info Menu

Titi Winterstein

wonderful violin

User Info Menu

...and not to forget Walter Malosetti

User Info Menu

Django's Brother and Son...

User Info Menu

Fapy Lafertin & Paulus Schäfer

User Info Menu

Check out the Greg Ruby Quartet

User Info Menu

I've been a fan of Stephane Wrembel and Gonzalo Bergara for about 10 years. Lately, I've been digging deeper and this thread is very relevant to me right now.

The internet lessons I've seen by Yaakov Hoter (here on this site) and Sven Jungbeck have been incredibly helpful. I also bought Wrembel's book.

The basic Django compilations like the classic blue "Best of" and "Djangology" are helping me keep things simple. I'm also trying to listen to people slowly to avoid overload. I like Bergara so I've been listening to the album he did with Adrien Moignard. Wrembel was influenced by Angelo Debarre, Bireli Lagrene, and Stochelo Rosenberg (among others) and I've peeked at their catalogs as well. I also stumbled onto Les Doigts de l'Homme and Olli Soikkeli.

Lastly, I've been listening to guitarists I know were influenced by Django but had their own thing going on. Tonight I listened to "For Django" by Joe Pass. Of course there's Les Paul and even Tony Iommi.

I'm not really sure what direction I'm going to take this in. For now, I'm just learning songs on my acoustic (and my unplugged Telecaster at night). So we'll see what happens once we come out on the other side of the current state of world affairs. But I enjoy the music, especially when it's not just straight Django tunes.