The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    joelf Guest
    I'll let him speak for himself:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    'Nother one, with more Nathen and a trebly tone. Swing on!

Harold Mabern, piano without a doubt...

joelf Guest
    Showing his nice harmonic vocab:

User Info Menu

My introduction to Nathen Page was on Jimmy Smith's late '60s album, The Boss. I picked it up for George Benson who features on most of the tracks but it was Page's solo, chocked full of funky 4ths, on "Fingers" that really caught my ear (he comes in around 06'20"):

joelf Guest
    I love his ideas, openness---and that it doesn't sound worked out...

User Info Menu

Nathen, lived about 10 mins from my house here in Winter Park, Florida. I saw him around performing quite a bit. While I was in college back in the early 90's, I took a class called "Jazz & Blues", the instructor invited some local musicians to perform at the classroom; and here came Nathen Page, Nat Adderley, and Don Lamond!! Nathen was an impressive musician, but even more impressive as a human being. He was never too busy to talk to a fan or even a child. I surely miss him....

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

I knew Nathan from performing in the central Florida area as well. Amazing guitarist and damn good piano player as well. I was always trying to get him to do a lesson but not his thing as for others as well. The last time I saw him he was playing standards on a baby grand. We stayed for the whole gig trying to stump him. No luck. His Christmas CD is the best holiday jazz CD I've heard. RIP to a great musician and equally great guy.

User Info Menu

I just came across Nathen Page by complete accident on Youtube. And woah. What a player. If Ed Cherry digs him enough to comment on YouTube thats good enough for me:

Nathen Page-screen-shot-2021-12-06-2-03-25-pm-png

I was there was more recorded output of his to dig into!!

User Info Menu

Page played with some of the top organists, including Jimmy Smith, with whom I saw him. He was excellent in both accompanying and soloing, very fluid and with a great sound.

joelf Guest
    Watching the Jimmy Smith vid again I just now realized that he's a thumb player. How could I not have noticed?! Slow un the uptake I guess...

I'm an admirer of his playing ever since I first heard his playing. He had an indescribable feeling for melody, very natural and seemingly effortless, and - more important - an incredible time-feel. I've transcribed some of his stuff from the Jimmy Smith-video and I am currently transcribing his excellent improv. on "Invitation". The latter made me realize: He's the prime example that time is most important and everything else (hitting the "right" notes) comes second.

In his talent, he was probably equal to Wes.

Plus: He was completely self-taught!!!!! Read his bio online, it's fascinating!