The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    joelf Guest
    Nothing I can say beyond being a huge fan---of every aspect of his musical world.

Let the tributes and videos pour in...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My wife hada cd of his that had Pat Metheny on a track or two. I thought it was nice. I don't think we still have it, though.

User Info Menu

Here you go:

joelf Guest
    Keep 'em comin'...

User Info Menu

It doesn't get any better than this!

User Info Menu

Toninho is a genius. He has his own sound as a composer and also as a guitarist. All that amazing sounding stuff is played on a conventional guitar by an unconventional player. I have an arrangement of Stella that he did, and it sounds like he wrote it. Does anyone know if there's a recording?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Toninho is a genius. He has his own sound as a composer and also as a guitarist. All that amazing sounding stuff is played on a conventional guitar by an unconventional player. I have an arrangement of Stella that he did, and it sounds like he wrote it. Does anyone know if there's a recording?
    The trio recording with Billy Higgins and Gary Peacock? I think it's called Once I Loved. Stella's on there...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    The trio recording with Billy Higgins and Gary Peacock? I think it's called Once I Loved. Stella's on there...
    Thanks!

I found this.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Thanks!

I found this.

Yes, you found it! That's the one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Yes, you found it! That's the one...
    I heard Toninho talk about his harmonic approach. If I recall correctly, he discovered a lot of his harmonic vocabulary on his own, fiddling around with voicings.

In my experience, his harmonic vocabulary seems to be unique, but that's just my experience. Anybody have any ideas about his influences?

joelf Guest
    Toninho was a sideman on this fabulous Kenny Barron date from ca '93:

User Info Menu

Years ago,Toninho borrowed my guitar for a tour of the Eastern US, arriving without one! Very unconventional guy, but also sweet and disarming, and a compelling live performer as well.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Years ago,Toninho borrowed my guitar for a tour of the Eastern US, arriving without one!
    Shades of Charlie Parker. Hope he didn't pawn it.

I kid Toninho!

Just found this, haven't read it through but there's a good interview at the end:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bits...=2&isAllowed=n