The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I'm in shock...An amazing musician and an intragal part of Pat Metheny's career. The link is on his facebook page...
    Last edited by jaco; 02-11-2020 at 07:13 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh shit!

User Info Menu

One of the greats ..... sad.

User Info Menu

RIP, Lyle.

User Info Menu

One of the greatest composers, arrangers and improvisors ever. We have lost a true genius. RIP Lyle and thank you for your incredible music!

User Info Menu

Yeah I am really sad about it. Pat's musical soulmate. He added so much to the records he was on.

I don't know about his health issues, but he toured and recorded very little since leaving Pat's group. The lack of solo recordings by him has always been surprising and disappointing.

User Info Menu

A sad thing. He was the composer and arranger for the album 'Lab 75' for the One O'Clock Jazz Band at North Texas State. It was nominated for a Grammy. If you were a musician in Texas in the 70's, you knew who Lyle Mays was.

User Info Menu

R.i.p. I think he had a non music related business after leaving Pat Metheny group, hence the sparse recordings..

User Info Menu

Vale Lyle!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    R.i.p. I think he had a non music related business after leaving Pat Metheny group, hence the sparse recordings..
    Apparently he worked in computer programming and also did some work in architecture--I read that he designed a friend or relative's house for instance.

OTOH...I always think if I could play as well as he I'd be out there every day pounding the keys and recording or playing concerts, but who knows? Maybe I'd take up welding or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Vale Lyle!

Love the song and the video but Pat's shorts...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Yes, yes... It was hot and humid in Montreal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    A sad thing. He was the composer and arranger for the album 'Lab 75' for the One O'Clock Jazz Band at North Texas State. It was nominated for a Grammy. If you were a musician in Texas in the 70's, you knew who Lyle Mays was.
    Bill Evans was one of the judges for Lyle's final jury at N. Texas State. Instead of filling in the grade sheet like everyone else, BE just wrote, "Be seeing you around", and left. RIP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    My first thought too!

User Info Menu

I've still got this solo record on vinyl. Features Bill Frisell, Steve Gadd...

RIP Lyle. Thanks for the tunes.

Lyle Mays RIP-lylemays-streetdreams-png

User Info Menu

So sad. I knew him a little through their management, and I ran into him at a video store years ago as he was checking out MGM cartoon music collections. Tremendous musician.

User Info Menu

Wow, very sad ...