The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

Sorry for the interruption, but I just noticed a post of mine disappeared from this thread. Is that because I said stuff "against" JH? Restoring from memory:

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Handsome,
    Umm... ...nope!

indoctrinating USA young'ns in honesty, humility, manners, and so forth
    But those are good things, no?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Sorry for the interruption, but I just noticed several posts of mine disappeared from this thread. Is that because I said stuff "against" JH?
    yes ... it’s a voodoo thing

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    OK, it's a rather ridiculous song and impossible (for me anyway) to sing (the SSB and the original drinking song). I for one would prefer America the Beautiful (sung by Ray Charles) to this one as the US national anthem.

But I will say, when you hear it sung at a large public event, especially a serious one, it is awe-inspiring. Partly it's the memory of learning it as a child and having respect for the history. Partly it's my 5 years in the military--though kind of a cynical guy in general and hardly an uber-patriot, I do have a sentimental spot for pomp and circumstance and tradition.

It's kind of like the Constitution--who wouldn't write it differently, if he were in charge of it today? But there it is...the weight of history...
    Hey, I always stand up. Easier to aim and shoot me (;

User Info Menu

I regret if this pains fans, but I can't help saying out loud that I dislike everything about that man; music, playing, guitarsound, voice, image.

I've asked several older people to show me where the good bits are in their opinion, and why there is such a cult around him, but they never went beyond "but don't you hear it???", or "you'd have had to be there".
    Jimi is a Merman now. No more appeasing Brit pop or the R&B crowd in the US with Band of Gypsies. It will always be 1983. Check out Prince before he became a movie star;

11:05 gives me chills. Jimi was in the room that night.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the interruption, but I just noticed a post of mine disappeared from this thread. Is that because I said stuff "against" JH? Restoring from memory:

Umm... ...nope!

But those are good things, no?
    Yes, they are good things. Kind of my point.

Also: Your personal opinions are your absolute right, as are mine. We can agree to disagree and still get along nicely as civilized people. Life is good.

Also, also: Posts occasionally disappear. I've lost a couple recently, myself. One of the unfathomable mysteries of Teh Interwebz.

User Info Menu

Yes, they are good things. Kind of my point.

Also: Your personal opinions are your absolute right, as are mine. We can agree to disagree and still get along nicely as civilized people. Life is good.

Also, also: Posts occasionally disappear. I've lost a couple recently, myself. One of the unfathomable mysteries of Teh Interwebz.
    Oh sure, I don't try to convince anyone; and you seldom say anything I disagree with anyway! And re. vanishing posts: good to know, thanks.

User Info Menu

Just came across Gil Evans plays the music of Jimi Hendrix. Surprising I have never heard this before.

It's really quite a good record, and emphasizes the quality and inventiveness of Hendrix' composing. Evans makes these songs sound like JAZZ STANDARDS.

It's not fair to judge it by the Hendrix originals. The guitar work does include John Abercrombie, Keith Loving and Ryo Kawasaki. But the guitar is generally the least interesting part of it. The rhythm section with Don Pate on bass and Bruce Ditmas on drums just rocks, and the horns (including a young David Sanborn) really stand out.

Anyway if you're tired of listening to Purple Haze every other day on Channel 26 on Sirius/XM, give it a listen. It'll put a new perspective on Hendrix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Name one jazz tune that uses it.
    Recorda Me.

User Info Menu

Posts occasionally disappear. I've lost a couple recently, myself.
    I just lost another batch, including one I'd stayed up late for to make sure it was formulated as honestly as I could. Wasn't controversial, and I don't use swearing or cursing, so..? If it's for derailment; many threads go off-topic for a moment without posts then being destroyed. And if one can't react to something like "...I don't like these XYZ guitars, for they are crafted by silly dwarves..." because one is a silly dwarf oneself, well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Name one jazz tune that uses it.
    Sorry, I can not resist this low hanging fruit :-), cosmic, please do not take this personal :-)

ATTYA, Charlie Parker in the intro. C7#9, somewhere in the 40s of the last century...
    Last edited by Gabor; 02-24-2020 at 11:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Just came across Gil Evans plays the music of Jimi Hendrix. Surprising I have never heard this before.

It's really quite a good record, and emphasizes the quality and inventiveness of Hendrix' composing. Evans makes these songs sound like JAZZ STANDARDS.

...It'll put a new perspective on Hendrix.
    It has been a while since I listened to it and I have it in my collection. I do remember that my impression was not as flattering as yours, but I respect your opinion. I just remember that certain aspects seemed stilted to me. Exaggerated like they were meant to be a flash to some kind of statement about a particular motif. I honestly can't remember the specifics, but it might have even been the take on Little Wing. I will try to give it another listen soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    It has been a while since I listened to it and I have it in my collection. I do remember that my impression was not as flattering as yours, but I respect your opinion. I just remember that certain aspects seemed stilted to me. Exaggerated like they were meant to be a flash to some kind of statement about a particular motif. I honestly can't remember the specifics, but it might have even been the take on Little Wing. I will try to give it another listen soon.
    Well it was a little pretentious and obviously well orchestrated and well mannered, kind of the opposite of a real rock recording. However...

I think one's distance from the source makes a difference. Years ago I would probably have scoffed and just thought of it as a poor attempt to "gentrify" or "tame" Jimi. Now, it sounds rather complex and intriguing, obviously a little bit of its time, but rewarding nonetheless.

Having listened to a lot of big band music from all eras, I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it.

User Info Menu

I can't disagree with any of that.

User Info Menu

I regret if this pains fans, but I can't help saying out loud that I dislike everything about that man; music, playing, guitarsound, voice, image.

I've asked several older people to show me where the good bits are in their opinion, and why there is such a cult around him, but they never went beyond "but don't you hear it???", or "you'd have had to be there".
    I listen to him for history and such but frankly just not my cup of tea. He certainly could play and seems he lead a pretty fast life and died to young. Would be interesting to see where he would have gone after 5, 10, 15 years of giging and playing more. It is not something I think I want to turn on a hear at almost any time. He has chops and I am sure much talent to probably play anything but I don't hold in up as probably most do.

The interesting thing is that for the same reason I never cared to listen to Stanley Jordan and he is clearly a jazz guitarist and of course tremendous talent but goes in a way that just does not grab me.