The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    'I'm here through Thursday....'

Can I get comped to hear the rest of your act?
    Lol, you're always welcome.

I'll stick to my guns on this though. There's a reason that Little Wing wasn't released during Stevie's lifetime...he knew it was just a wankfest too. A shadow of what him and DT were capable of.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Great hearing Voodoo Child (slight return) again. It still sounds fresh, and a thousand miles beyond his copyists.

Talking of Miles, he did say to Mike Stern, "play like Hendrix!"
    It's also many miles from Muddy Waters, from whom Jimmy learned a lot.
    I remember a guy I knew in high school saying that he thought Jimi Hendrix came from the future. I saw his point. But the more I matured as a player and listener, the more I realized how heavily indebted Hendrix was to his musical past----he 'went to school' on R&B, blues, soul, and funk. He was a great rhythm player. And like all true bluesman, he knew how to work a good riff. He had a strong musical foundation on which to build.

User Info Menu

well said mark...& so true!! jimi had been in the chitlin circuit scene long before he went to the uk and became a star!..he paid some dues...and learned from some good ones..they say cornell dupree was big early influence...(dupree was in -stuff- alongside eric gale for years...was one of the alltime greats..all about spacious chords!!..and ever so tasty licks..a great!..rip)

whenever musicians jammed with jimi, they were always amazed that they could hand him any electric guitar or bass!!...and he could play it upside down (he was lefty) and not miss a beat...he was deep music..whether it blossomed to the "jazz" degree you wish, well... but what mighta been...& he was a true lover of guitar..and as such a brother!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And let’s not forget about Stevie Ray Vaughn’s versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Chile.
    I disagree. Why even mention somebody else's imitation of the great originals? Various others also did covers of these and other Hendrix songs. Red House in particular. I think these were tributes, not because the other artists thought their versions could equal his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It's also many miles from Muddy Waters, from whom Jimmy learned a lot.
    I remember a guy I knew in high school saying that he thought Jimi Hendrix came from the future. I saw his point. But the more I matured as a player and listener, the more I realized how heavily indebted Hendrix was to his musical past----he 'went to school' on R&B, blues, soul, and funk. He was a great rhythm player. And like all true bluesman, he knew how to work a good riff. He had a strong musical foundation on which to build.
    I completely agree with the guy you knew in high school. I realized this when I first heard Hendrix in 1967. Yes, of course, his musical past was a factor. It is with everybody. Yes, he had a great foundation. But indeed he took it into a new dimension. One that holds up so well 53 years later.

User Info Menu

funny, but the little wing cover that first comes to mind to me, is not the later srv cover, but the great version by derek & the dominoes...with eric clapton and duane allman on guitars...and they cut it while jimi was still alive!!! it was a tribute to the living man!

whatever you think of clapton...dominoes were great band..carl radle of oklahoma on bass..rock solid..the great jim gordon..wrecking crew crowd drummer...and great bobby whitlock on organ and great gospel vocals...and add duanes slide

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    funny, but the little wing cover that first comes to mind to me, is not the later srv cover, but the great version by derek & the dominoes...with eric clapton and duane allman on guitars...and they cut it while jimi was still alive!!! it was a tribute to the living man!

whatever you think of clapton...dominoes were great band..carl radle of oklahoma on bass..rock solid..the great jim gordon..wrecking crew crowd drummer...and great bobby whitlock on organ and great gospel vocals...and add duanes slide

cheers
    I think it's a wonderful version...pure ecstatic love. They got it. Not a huge fan of Clapton overall, but when he got it right back in the day, he sure did get it right.

For every Derek and the Dominoes, there's something like this, unfortunately. Here's a guy who only heard SRV's version and never paid attention to the fact that it's a love song...love for someone ELSE.

User Info Menu

Talking about rock guitarists in jazz context, the only not jazz (and not jazzrock or flamenco) guitarist I find interesting is Jimmy Page. I mean for me he is the one who express some deepness, melody, and emotional content what we all look for in jazz. Of course others contributed many billboard songs, but I am talking the impros. I know Led Zeppelin many times accused to be not original, but they really captured something from the blues deep felings, converted and integrated it to they British white culture. Some tracks are real pieces, not especially the song, but Jimmy Page's impros, and the highest level of musicans interaction what we only know from jazz music.
    Last edited by Gabor; 02-09-2020 at 12:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    I have always really liked that version and I will admit that I am a D & Ds fan. As you say they must have cut it before Hendrix’s death but I think the album was released a month or two afterward. A lot going on back then.

User Info Menu

The Monterey Pop Festival..1967..the first "rock festival"

they made a movie of it...Hendrix Experience first USA appearance...

He plays "Wild Thing" the old Troggs tune..only very different (ahem)
    in the solo..he plays behind his back.."Strangers In The Night" mixed with some
    fragments of Purple Haze..

after.. he burned it..

he went on tour and along the way..some very smart promotor..manager..booking company..teamed
    Jimi ...with..The Monkeys!!

Ok mom & Dad..little Dolly and Bobby will be having nightmares for a while..

mommy..whats a manic depression..and wont he get burned if he stands next to her fire..??
    hey hey!!! were the junkies...

User Info Menu

Jimi?

It’s been a long times once I’ve properly listened to him. I grew up with music, and he remains my main reference for how an electric guitar should sound. (Hey, Purple haze was meant to have been recorded on a tele, right? :-))

Intensity and groove, two things most rock players will never come close to him on because he came out of a hard apprenticeship with the top guys in black music of that era....

but there was Buddy Guy and all those heavy blues players.... I mean what other guitarist could lay claim to Sonic Youth, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Scott Henderson as successors?

I’ve learned to value other ways of playing, but when I was 15 it was only Jimi and Peter Green (for a completely different type of intensity) other than that it was the old blues guys, Sumlin in particular, or get lost...

these days I’m less of a blues fascist when it comes to rock, but I have to say for modern players that come close to Jimi? Well I can’t compare because I didn’t hear him live. Derek Trux has an intensity to him, for instance. Rock was a brave new world back then of course, now it has norms and stylistic constraints and a specific technical approach to playing.

Of his generation I feel Pete Cosey took it one step further even as a lot of the out and out rock guys tended to be actually more influenced by Clapton and maybe Mike Bloomfield even as they namechecked Jimi (I mean they didn’t have his funky feel, right?)...
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-09-2020 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Another thing, Jimi liked to play in the baritone range of the guitar, which worked well in trios etc. A lot of rock guys are more like high tenors.

Jimi said “Kenny Burrell that’s the sound I’m looking for.” It makes more sense when you think about register/instrumentation.

User Info Menu

My first concert was Hendrix in Honolulu at the HIC Arena October 5, 1968. I'll never forget it. I couldn't sit down the entire time, totally blew me away. I studied with Coryell for about four years and he had some great Hendrix stories as they were good friends (both from Seattle) Larry was in the studio when Hendrix recorded the long version Voodoo Child. Hendrix: "Hey Larry you want to jam on this one?" Larry: "No Jimi, it sounds pretty good as it is". Of course Larry could play rings around Hendrix as far as jazz vocabulary. That being said he summed it up this way, "Jimi was a genius".
    BTW there's a picture floating around on the web of Larry and Jimi jamming together. Hendrix is playing bass!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    My first concert was Hendrix in Honolulu at the HIC Arena October 5, 1968. I'll never forget it. I couldn't sit down the entire time, totally blew me away. I studied with Coryell for about four years and he had some great Hendrix stories as they were good friends (both from Seattle) Larry was in the studio when Hendrix recorded the long version Voodoo Child. Hendrix: "Hey Larry you want to jam on this one?" Larry: "No Jimi, it sounds pretty good as it is". Of course Larry could play rings around Hendrix as far as jazz vocabulary. That being said he summed it up this way, "Jimi was a genius".
    yeah I think that sums it up. Larry was great obv, but Hendrix had that thing that transcends the notes (hey I think Coryell learned something about that off Jimi, many players did no?)

Jazz players have had that... Charlie Christian springs to mind, but it’s something I think I hear most with horn players. Brecker said he learned a lot from rock guitar players for instance....

jazz guitarists sometimes I think define themselves too much in contrast to rock players, and we end up throwing something out that we shouldn’t? Usually the blues and dramatic intensity it can seem....

OTOH there is more than one way to be a guitar genius, which is the fun for a listener!

User Info Menu

I think Jimi Hendrix is, along with Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century off written music (including Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Gil Evans), much copied but never matched. For me, the presence of the blues is undeniably one of the causes

as a guitarist, the comparison is indeed imposed with Charlie Christian, and out of the influence of the blues, Django Reinhardt

User Info Menu

I reckon Django’s a lot bluesier than people think when you start digging into his stuff... He’s like Bach in that he cheerfully does all the things you are meant to avoid when imitating his style lol

Yeah I mean these sorts of ‘greats of 20th century’ list always end up getting longer and longer .... but there are some you can’t do without and Jimi is one. I think if Django had never existed the guitar would have continued much as it did. Not so with Jimi and of course Christian.

btw Gil Evans was a student of Stephan Wolpe, very much a 20th century concert music guy who studied with Busoni and Schrecker, it’s not always possible to make a neat division between concert music and everything else. And any greats list would also have include Quincy who studied with Messiaen and Boulanger...

but yeah...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    It's the closest I've heard a guitar come to John Coltrane level divinity.
    Look, we all know what you mean, but personally I'd never dare to use both Hendrix and Coltrane in the same sentence. Jimi would be the first to laugh at this...

User Info Menu

I regret if this pains fans, but I can't help saying out loud that I dislike everything about that man; music, playing, guitarsound, voice, image.

I've asked several older people to show me where the good bits are in their opinion, and why there is such a cult around him, but they never went beyond "but don't you hear it???", or "you'd have had to be there".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    plutôt qu'un long discours / rather than a long speech

User Info Menu

I used to be a big fan of Jimi. I guess I'm still a fan, but these days more of his rhythm playing and songwriting. Solos? I think I prefer Clapton more now, to me he was/is one of the greatest storytellers as a soloist, and Jimi is just... too much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I think Jimi Hendrix is, along with Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century off written music (including Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Gil Evans), much copied but never matched. For me, the presence of the blues is undeniably one of the causes

(snip)

as a guitarist, the comparison is indeed imposed with Charlie Christian, and out of the influence of the blues, Django Reinhardt
    Just want to clarify for anyone seeing that Hendrix/Nuages clip for the first time, it's a fake.

User Info Menu

I regret if this pains fans, but I can't help saying out loud that I dislike everything about that man; music, playing, guitarsound, voice, image.
    Nah man, Jimi was every bit a Rock God in the era where pop/rock/blues/psychedelia was way more popular than just about anything else. Certainly blew my mind!

I was just saying that Coltrane was a Jazz God,... different planet, different Universe even...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Just want to clarify for anyone seeing that Hendrix/Nuages clip for the first time, it's a fake.
    Sorry. Thank you very much. I was surprised, I had never heard it. Anyway it doesn't change my comment, I found this video by chance

User Info Menu

I've asked several older people to show me where the good bits are in their opinion, and why there is such a cult around him, but they never went beyond "but don't you hear it???", or "you'd have had to be there".
    Different strokes and all that, but curious if you are a fan of the rock guitar genre at all. I've seen all kinds of debates over the years re Hendrix vs Clapton vs Page vs Beck etc, but haven't seen any that discounted Jimi's "guitar god" status and his revolutionary approach to solo guitar

User Info Menu

I saw Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood—both friends of Jimi—play Little Wing in concert a few years ago. One of the highlights of the show.

As I recall, McLaughlin was getting started in England when Hendrix hit the scene and jammed with him a few times.

There was a lot of mutual admiration among all the guitarists of the time. McLaughlin btw didn’t start out as a bebop-playing prodigy. He played RnB and did rock session work and backed Georgie Fame among other things. So it’s not a stretch to say Jimi could have been a jazzer if he wanted to move in that direction. (John studied piano and violin before moving to guitar...)

Apparently there are tapes of Jimi jamming with Zappa as well.

Too bad he didn’t get with Miles, as is well rumored. The more I listen to Miles from that period the more I think they would have gotten along well together and created some interesting music. It’s said that one of them sent a telegram to Paul McCartney asking him to play bass with their new “group”, but Jimi died before that happened.

(Still waiting on the Miles-Prince jam sessions to be released...)

I guess one of the most impressive things about Jimi was how open he was to all influences and to playing with anyone and everyone.