The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I received this as a Christmas present. I'm not much of a fan of most of McLaughlin's work but really enjoyed Remember Shakti. You have to worry a little about a CD that includes the disclaimer "... your expectations may not be met."This record features very little guitar that's identifiable as guitar. The instrument serves mostly as a synth controller for orchestrated pads of western harmony that serve as a backdrop for impassioned vocals by Shankar Mahadevin. My reaction was mixed. It's at times very beautiful and haunting at others rather limpid - sounding like bad Casio patches from the 80s. All in all, I missed the instrumental fireworks of Shakti while understanding that at age 78, McLaughlin has nothing left to prove and should make the music that he wants to hear. Whether it "meets expectations" for his core audience is another question.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like that song. I will have to check out the album.

I have liked McLaughlin’s forays into guitar synth work, at least when he is not too structured so it sounds like a computer-generated song. I still probably prefer his past work with Shakti and Mahavishnu Orchestra and especially his solos records from the 70’s (Electric Guitarist, Electric Dreams).

Watching the video accompanying this song I was also struck by how nice a guy he seems. Genuinely relaxed and happy to be alive and able to play with the other musicians.

User Info Menu

Sorry, Andy,
    I couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds. Sounds like dope smoking music of the 60's/70's. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Sounds like dope smoking music of the 60's/70's.
    Yes? And what's wrong with that???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yes? And what's wrong with that???

Nothing D,
    But I would have preferred some mellow R and B in the background. Good playing . . . in total clarity . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Sorry, Andy,
    I couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds. Sounds like dope smoking music of the 60's/70's. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Maybe you this is better?

joelf Guest
    Anything he does is cool with me, even if it's not always to my exact taste. He's in total control of his tools, and has soul. He's not a flashy, shallow player but a communicator.

I saw Mahavishnu when it first came out, he with the double-neck guitar, the band with tunes in every time signature but 4/4. It was new and exciting then. Does it hold up? Not sure---but they did it, and masterfully.

I had My Goal's Beyond in my earliest 20s, and bought an Ovation partly b/c of that record. Checked out the raw energy of Tony Williams Lifetime and the stuff with Miles. Even heard him with Joey D. The Bill Evans tribute was beautiful. The man satisfied lots of musical impulses.

Has he been a lasting influence on me? I wouldn't say so. I couldn't play with those kind of chops in a million years, and the concepts are alien to me and counter to what I want for myself. There are other things I'd rather spend my time learning. But I bow very deeply to a player of world-class accomplishment, an artist possessing soul, depth, and humanity---and to a man seemingly of sincerity, humility, and a lifelong dedication to spiritual growth...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Maybe you this is better?

Hi, Paul,
    JM is just too busy for me. My impression is that everytime he walks onto a stage, he wants to show his blistering speed. I just don't see the musicality . . . O.K. It's his thing; not mine. I just can't listen to him. Here's something more to my taste. I hope you enjoy! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    But I bow very deeply to a player of world-class accomplishment, an artist possessing soul, depth, and humanity---and to a man seemingly of sincerity, humility, and a lifelong dedication to spiritual growth...
    Joel, I could not have said it better. I first heard JM on my Goals Beyond it the early 70's. I haven't always liked every thing he has done but he has his own voice, is true to his art and willing to put it out there.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Joel, I could not have said it better. I first heard JM on my Goals Beyond it the early 70's. I haven't always liked every thing he has done but he has his own voice, is true to his art and willing to put it out there.
    ....Which is all any of us can hope for...

User Info Menu

Always loved JM especially Belo Horizonte and his amazing duets with Katia Labeque . I read he has been dealing with arthritis which must be a difficult reality for a player.

Will

FYI ....Jazz legend John McLaughlin is now offering a free download of this new album.

John McLaughlin, Shankar Mahadevan, Zakir Hussain | John McLaughlin

User Info Menu

John McLaughlin, Shankar Mahadevan, Zakir Hussain | John McLaughlin

John McLaughlin has released his latest LP, Is that So?, as a free download until the end of April. The recording features Zakir Hussain and Shankar Mahadevan.
    In view of the current situation world wide with Corona Virus and the fact that we are obliged to spend more time at home, we would like to offer our friends the free download of the new album ‘Is that So’? until end of April 2020 from Abstract Logix.
    He closes the note with a reminder to enjoy the music and “stay happy and healthy!”
    Attached Images Attached Images John McLaughlin - Is that So-john-mclaughlin-so-free-download-banner-jpg 

User Info Menu

Great, I just downloaded it and I'll check it out soon! Appreciate the heads up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Great, I just downloaded it and I'll check it out soon! Appreciate the heads up!
    Thank you so much for the link. I'm a fan of his work since...I can't remember

User Info Menu

nice !
    thanks john ...

i was just just listening to this

beautiful ....
    esp from 1:46

anyone here use a guitar synth like that sound ?

its a standard polysynth type
    sound (prophet5 type sound etc)
    but it a appears that
    john can play a chord and
    ‘hold’ the sustaining synth sound with a foot pedal
    great

i like a setup like that ...
    not a freeze pedal because
    although the function is the
    same as i want (hold the chord with a foot pedal , play lines over that chord)
    they don’t have that kinda
    polysynth sound i like

User Info Menu

How generous of John. Seems like a very nice guy.

User Info Menu

Downloaded. Not my cup of tea (huge fan of most of his music) but generous gesture from John.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    nice !
    thanks john ...

i was just just listening to this

beautiful ....
    esp from 1:46

anyone here use a guitar synth like that sound ?
    not sure its a synth he is using on this ...but I like his playing on this piece a very different sound than when he plays electric.. and the rich chord work is just beautiful..

User Info Menu

What a generous gesture!