The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

From the videos I’ve seen, I think Kurt does a great job explaining his approach to music.

I saw a video last year on YouTube of a clinic in Gdansk. He plays through Body and Soul and talks about shell voicings. I’d like to watch it again, but the video has since been made private. Would anyone here have access to it by chance?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don’t know if this helps, but someone has done this video based on it.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Don’t know if this helps, but someone has done this video based on it.

Yeah. Really hated to see that one go. That's me whining about it in the comments for this video. :-)

Didn't think about just how temporary these things can be. Never occurred to me to record it nor would I really know how right now.

User Info Menu

We had a thread on this a while back but the thread too seems to have disappeared (is Kurt that powerful?)

My recollection is that Kurt played the shell chords under the melody by alternating simple 2-note chords, I think it was something like root and 7th, then 5th and 3rd.

User Info Menu

Also someone attempted to summarise it here:

Kurt Rosenwinkel Chord Melody clinic Gdansk | Telecaster Guitar Forum

User Info Menu

very interesting, Kurt Rosenwinckel's advice joins my way of learning, when I didn't know his and my style has nothing to do with it. No wonder he worked on Jimmy Wyble's principles... It is almost a scandal that no subject is devoted to Jimmy Wyble in this forum. In 20 years, maybe...

David Oakes A Tribute To Jimmy Wyble, Lessons and explanations

User Info Menu

Jimmy Wyble has been discussed occasionally - I don’t think the forum search option finds everything though. Easier to search in google (include jazzguitar.be in the search terms). I found this for example.

Improvising Counterpoint on Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Jimmy Wyble has been discussed occasionally - I don’t think the forum search option finds everything though. Easier to search in google (include jazzguitar.be in the search terms). I found this for example.
    thank you, I've read everything and heard what's available on Jimmy Wyble, but the best way is to work, and the best source is A Tribute To Jimmy Wyble,years of work
    Google Kurt Rosenwinckel / Jimmy Wyble

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    No wonder he worked on Jimmy Wyble's principles...
    So Kurt was a student of Wyble's priciples? This will give me insight to Kurt's approach?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    So Kurt was a student of Wyble's priciples? This will give me insight to Kurt's approach?
    no idea about that, but it’s interesting that Wyble’s ‘primer’ shows exactly the same idea as Kurt’s method for playing solo on the ‘Gdansk’ video (alternating root and 7th with 5th and 3rd).

See page 2 here:

http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/pdf/two_line_primer.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I seem to have read an interview where he talks about it, but I can't find it. Anyway he says he worked on the Harmonics Mechanism of Van Eps, and I do not know what he does with it in his playing. It doesn't jump to my ears, except in some full solos. There are Wyble exercises very close to those of Van Eps, which makes sense. Among his students at the Guitar Institute, Wyble had Howard Roberts, Steve Lukather, Larry Koonse, Howard Alden...

Ted Greene: “When people ask me to describe this music (of Jimmy Wyble), oneway I’m fond of is: George Van Eps meets Bartok and they visit T. Monk to discuss the music of J.S. Bach and a certain Mr. Gershwin.”
    Last edited by Patlotch; 01-25-2020 at 10:54 PM.

User Info Menu

BTW, I'm looking for a masterclass video of Kurt at MI, not the one on youtube already but another one. There used to be a forum on Kurt's old website and someone posted a part of the masterclass video in which Kurt played Ana Maria. He was wearing a hat and playing a D'angelico semi. Anyone?
    Last edited by tele3; 04-14-2020 at 06:34 AM.

User Info Menu

There's some nice playing in this recently posted video that I hadn't seen before:

User Info Menu

Wow, so nice to hear him play without effects -- beautiful!

User Info Menu

Check out the Standards Trio: Reflections, if you haven’t - that’s relatively light on effects and lovely standards playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Wow, so nice to hear him play without effects -- beautiful!
    Yes, absolutely beautiful! Kurt is one of my favorite cats but he's gotten into this thing lately where there's no attack on the notes, taking away any percussive elements that the guitar naturally has. It's actually hard to listen to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    Yes, absolutely beautiful! Kurt is one of my favorite cats but he's gotten into this thing lately where there's no attack on the notes, taking away any percussive elements that the guitar naturally has. It's actually hard to listen to.
    I can't stand it

User Info Menu

Well, that's actually nothing new. He's always been trying to attenuate the attack of picking noise. If you've listened to his unreleased album in 90s, you know he was using a ton of guitar synths already. He's not one of those jazz guitar traditionalists.

User Info Menu

Here's a transcription of the shell voicings from Kurt's Gdansk clinic:

The Music of Kurt Rosenwinkel: "Body and Soul" 1+7 & 3+5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tele3
    Well, that's actually nothing new. He's always been trying to attenuate the attack of picking noise. If you've listened to his unreleased album in 90s, you know he was using a ton of guitar synths already. He's not one of those jazz guitar traditionalists.
    i still don’t like it.

this is actually my favourite tone of his in recent years:

User Info Menu

Also one of the things that drew me to him was the dramatic way he used picking dynamics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Here's a transcription of the shell voicings from Kurt's Gdansk clinic:

The Music of Kurt Rosenwinkel: "Body and Soul" 1+7 & 3+5
    Aside from the shells, these voicings are very handy

3 x 3 2 x x
    x 3 4 3 x x

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    i still don’t like it.

this is actually my favourite tone of his in recent years:

Honestly nobody cares if you like or dislike it.
    And in the clip you pasted he's using a EHX HOG to attenuate the picking attack.
    It's already off topic. No reply needed.

User Info Menu

And in the clip you pasted he's using a EHX HOG to attenuate the picking attack.
    It's already off topic. No reply needed.
    I do appreciate words are cheap, and of course, you are right. But there is a relation to playing, as well, the creative process.

So, I'd be interested to ask - do you actually enjoy Kurt's recent tone - love it, even? If so, I respect that.

If OTOH as I think is much more likely, you don't feel we are entitled to an opinion, I have a problem with that; you can't afford to not have an opinion as a musician. Because it suggests you feel one has to suppress strong emotional reactions to aspects of music out of 'respect for the artist.' Not a fan.

(Now Kurt's going to plough on and do his thing regardless of what anyone thinks or how much people might hate it, and that's something we can all find inspiring.)

What I do think which is interesting - it is possible to be a fan of aspects of someone's playing that they themselves don't actually value. But that's cool, because that tells you something about how you want to sound, and what your style will be. Which is good because there is too much unimaginative imitation in the world already. We only need one Kurt Rosenwinkel (and no-one has actually managed to copy him anyway.)

And this is all much more interesting than the pitch choices, chords etc. Which with Kurt are actually surprisingly commonplace.

Again, when I had a lesson with Peter Bernstein I said I really liked the sound he got when he played chords in solo arrangements - that strident pick sound and he looked at me quizzically and said 'oh that's just what I have to do to get the notes out.' I don't think it was something he intentionally aimed to get, yet I feel it's one of the most distinctive elements of his playing.

(So; I really like pick attack and dynamics. Kurt's new sound squashes both. He's being trying to eliminate some of the very things I particularly enjoyed about his early 2000s playing... of course I'm going to have an emotional reaction to that.)

I mean he still sounds great; I'm absolutely a fan.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-20-2020 at 09:21 AM.

I do, honestly, (and apparently you do as well). I really appreciate when opinions are stated as such, versus being stated as fact. Anyway, it was an organic conversation started by someone else, to be fair.

Back to the original topic, I think it was all basically a COMPLIMENT to its more natural tone, and I like it as well.

Great video... greatly missed. Really appreciate the transcriptions and videos linked here.