The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Long time Ed Bickert fan since I found some of his CD's in a local library many, many years ago. I was wondering if you had any ideas or plans of attack for finding out of print CD's? From his Wikipedia page I see a list of his CD's and some selections where he was a sideman: If anyone has any of these they'd like to sell or have extra copies to sell or even info on how many of these ended up as CD's? Sadly Spotify and other music streaming that I've looked into don't really have any of his material on streaming other than 2 albums I believe and some of the music like "Mutual Street by Rob Mcconnell (1993-10-07)" I can only find at grossly inflated prices on Amazon. I guess I could rip audio of of Youtube streaming links but those are often so-so in quality. I have Third Floor Richard on LP as I was able to get it sealed for a reasonable price. Feel free to respond or send me a message. Just trying to get a listen and preserve some of his music for myself.
    As leader or co-leader[edit]

• 1976 - Ed Bickert (PM)
    • 1976 - Out of the Past (Ed Bickert Trio studio session, first released in 2006) Sackville)
    • 1977 - I Like to Recognize the Tune
    • 1978 - Ed Bickert/Don Thompson - recorded live at The Garden Party (Sackville)
    • 1979 - Jazz Canada Europe '79 - Ed Bickert Trio; 1 LP in 4-LP boxed set (Radio Canada International) (reissued as part of The Guitar Mastery Of Ed Bickert (Unidisc, 1996)
    • 1979 - Days Gone By - Sonny Greenwich and Ed Bickert Quartet (first released in 2000) (Sackville)
    • 1980 - Dance to the Lady (credited to Don Thompson and Ed Bickert; features piano / guitar duets) (Sackville)
    • 1983 - At Toronto's Bourbon Street - The Ed Bickert 5 feat. Scott Hamilton and Warren Vaché (Concord Jazz)
    • 1984 - Bye Bye Baby - Ed Bickert Quartet featuring Dave McKenna (Concord Jazz)
    • 1984 - Mutual Street - duets with Rob McConnell (Innovation, reissued in 1993 by Jazz Alliance/Concord)
    • 1985 - I Wished On The Moon - Ed Bickert Quartet featuring Rick Wilkins (Concord Jazz)
    • 1985 - The Quartet of Ed Bickert and Lorne Lofsky and Friends (Unisson)
    • 1989 - Third Floor Richard - Ed Bickert Trio with special guest Dave McKenna (Concord Jazz)
    • 1990 - This is New - Ed Bickert Quartet featuring Lorne Lofsky (Concord Jazz)
    • 1994 - Trio Sketches - with Rob McConnell, Neil Swainson (Concord Jazz)
    • 1994 - Concord Duo Series Volume 7 - with Bill Mays (Concord Jazz)
    • 1997 - Three for the Road - with Rob McConnell, Don Thompson (Concord Jazz)
    • 1999 - Test of Time with Mike Murley (first released in 2012) (Cornerstone)
    • 2000 - Live at the Senator with Mike Murley (Cornerstone)
    • 2004 - At the Garden Party (reissue of 1978 album Ed Bickert/Don Thompson with four bonus tracks from Out of the Past) (Sackville)

Selected appearances as backing musician[edit]

• 1975 - Live - Paul Desmond (A&M/Horizon)
    • 1978 - Paul Desmond - Paul Desmond (Artists House)
    • 1979 - Ruby Braff With The Ed Bickert Trio - Ruby Braff (Sackville)
    • 1983 - Rosemary Clooney Sings the Music of Harold Arlen - Rosemary Clooney (Concord)
    • 1984 - Rosemary Clooney Sings the Music of Irving Berlin- Rosemary Clooney (Concord)
    • 1985 - Rosemary Clooney Sings Ballads - Rosemary Clooney (Concord)
    • 1985 - A Gentleman and His Music - Benny Carter (Concord)
    • 1985 - With a Song in My Heart - Jane Hall with Ed Bickert (not released until 2017) (ArtistShare)
    • 1986 - Rosemary Clooney Sings the Music of Jimmy Van Heusen - Rosemary Clooney (Concord)
    • 1987 - Rosemary Clooney Sings the Lyrics of Johnny Mercer - Rosemary Clooney (Concord)
    • 1992 - Like Someone in Love - Paul Desmond (Telarc)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

just check ebay, Amazon and Reverb lp [though they're going under at the end of Feb.]

Thanks wintermoon I've looked at those places before I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait till I'm out of school and get another job and just get together a few hundred bucks and buy them all at the prices I've been able to find. I'll just think of it as an investment and listen to them on Youtube which has the largest amount of availability currently. I'm mostly looking into the CD's as I just got that one LP because it was a good price.

User Info Menu

eBay has provided me with some of those at reasonable cost, but it has taken patience- in a couple of cases several years worth of watching auctions to find one that wasn't stupidly priced.

Yeah going to have to get some saved searches going once I'm ready. Budgeting everything right now while my wife is the primary income earner!

User Info Menu

Just checked, yeah some are priced astronomically!
    But Cunamara's right, take your time and check often, if you're in the right place at the right time you'll likely find them semi reasonably priced.

Just a good reinforcement of the path I was thinking I'd have to follow regarding this!

User Info Menu

As a proud Canadian, I post this...

User Info Menu

The Greatest !

Not in mannnny years, thanks I'll take a look and that brings to mind looking up outside of the usual suspects resources.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've been on the same hunt, and as far as I can tell, his first two Concord albums have never been issued on CD. These are "At Toronto's Bourbon Street" and "Bye Bye Baby".

I've heard both albums on Youtube or elsewhere, and it's a shame they are not readily available. Particularly "Bye Bye Baby".

I've had good luck at Discogs...often the prices are quite a bit better than Amazon. (I don't usually have the patience for eBay.)

The early Canadian trio and duo records form 76-79 are the place to start imho, (along with the 5 Concord records under Ed's name)--I think these are all easily obtainable, save for "The Guitar Mastery Of Ed Bickert. "Guitar Mastery" is worth hunting down for disc 1, a live trio set with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke from 1979.

For me, the best non-Desmond records where Ed is a backing musician are all on Sackville records...the Buddy Tate record is great, the Frank Rosolino live double CD has lots of Ed in his prime, and the Ruby Braff studio set is nice and has Don and Terry as well.

There are a couple of small-group Moe Koffman sessions from the 1990s that aren't listed in your post. I have one, and it's good (not great) as far as showcasing Bickert.

Rob McConnell's "Jive Five" also has Ed, though he isn't heavily featured. There are many many big band albums ("The Boss Brass") by McConnell with Bickert, as you probably know, but Ed usually gets only 2-3 short solos at best on the big band records. Even the duo and trio albums with McConnell somehow never get me. The two trio albums with Mike Murley I find more interesting...Ed's swan songs. The 1990s weren't great in terms of his recorded output, but the Murley discs are the exception to the rule there.

Supposedly Mosaic records is going to issue a live collection of Paul Desmond with Ed from the tapes that produced the three live albums from the mid-70s. Something like 25-30 new tracks supposedly. That will be a no-brainer for me. There is no official announcement on their website as far as I know, but the label head mentioned they are working on it.

Also, re: "Pure Desmond", it's worth hunting down the "old" CD version from around 1990. The anniversary edition CD from around 2004 has some unfortunate mastering and editing decisions, as you can read about in Amazon reviews. Ed's guitar is affected, sounding too compressed, but really, the whole album was kind of ruined by that reissue imho. And Desmond told interviewers he saw the album as a showcase for Bickert specifically. C'est la vie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    I've been on the same hunt, and as far as I can tell, his first two Concord albums have never been issued on CD. These are "At Toronto's Bourbon Street" and "Bye Bye Baby".
    His first under album under his own name has been released on CD in Japan. I scored one of those through eBay for a very reasonable price, all things considered.