Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

The tenor player in our band broke the news to me, he grew up and was best friends w/the Heath brothers.
    Great player and composer of course.
    Tootie's the only one left and not in the best of health himself I understand.
    rip to one of the last giants....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RIP, Jimmy

User Info Menu

An album Heath mentions in the Q&A above as one of his favorites among his own recordings.

User Info Menu

RIP, Little Bird. We used to see him when he played at jazz clubs on Lawnguyland, when a bunch of us were first getting into jazz as kids. He was kind of scary, because we knew he had spent a lot of time in jail, so I never got the guts to go up to him.

User Info Menu

On September 8, 2001, I had the good fortune to have Mr. Heath fronting my trio as part of the Portland (Maine) Jazz Fest. We were the loss-leader "Jazz The Way It Should Be" bill -- come see Jimmy Heath in a club for ten bucks with a drink ticket included!

I drove him around, we hung, rehearsed and played the gig. Mr. Heath was a truly gracious guy. (I am happy to get teased a bit by a master.) Jimmy was nice to my family and friends and was generally glad to show, blow, get the dough and go. There used to be a lot of gigs like that . . .

The music was great, covering a lot of Mr. Heath's career. Because the trio featured my old pal, the vibrophonist Steve Shapiro, Mr. Heath made it a point to call some MJQ tunes and Steve got to "be Milt Jackson" for that part of the evening!

Three days later people drove airplanes into the World Trade Center. The 20th century was well and truly over, and the world changed.

Thank you Mr. Heath. I smile every time I hear your name and your music.
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 01-19-2020 at 05:11 PM.

User Info Menu

They just played an interview Phil Schaap did with Jimmy Heath, and Jimmy said he had a recording date with Miles Davis, and they called him just before the date. and said that Charlie Parker was broke, and needed some money, so Bird was going to replace him.
    Jimmy agreed, but asked them to record a tune he just wrote called "The Serpent's Tooth". They picked it up, and recorded it, but Miles Davis took credit for the tune Jimmy wrote.
    heath described himself as naive....

User Info Menu

R.I.P. Jimmy Heath--the little giant. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They just played an interview Phil Schaap did with Jimmy Heath, and Jimmy said he had a recording date with Miles Davis, and they called him just before the date. and said that Charlie Parker was broke, and needed some money, so Bird was going to replace him.
    Jimmy agreed, but asked them to record a tune he just wrote called "The Serpent's Tooth". They picked it up, and recorded it, but Miles Davis took credit for the tune Jimmy wrote.
    heath described himself as naive....
    "Serpent's Tooth" is one of my favorite tunes! I didn't know (or else had forgotten) Jimmy wrote "Serpent's Tooth." Bravo! Sucks that Miles took credit for it....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    "Serpent's Tooth" is one of my favorite tunes! I didn't know (or else had forgotten) Jimmy wrote "Serpent's Tooth." Bravo! Sucks that Miles took credit for it....

Wasn't the last time Miles pulled that, didn't he try to take credit for Blue In Green?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Wasn't the last time Miles pulled that, didn't he try to take credit for Blue In Green?
    There's a list, I think. "Tune Up" is another one. "Four", "Solar", "Dig"...

Peter Spitzer Music Blog: Tunes Miles May Not Have Written

In his book “The Making of Kind of Blue,” Eric Nisenson recounts a conversation with Miles:

I once asked him who wrote the tunes “Four” and “Tune Up.” He replied, “Eddie Vinson.” So I asked him why, then, the tunes listed Miles as sole composer. “Because I wrote them,” he replied.

“But you just told me that Eddie Vinson wrote them.”

“What difference does it make?” he asked with mock exasperation.

I was surprised to see Jimmy made it to my home page, shame it was probably the one and only time...