Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-jazz-1-jpg 57 musicians duly assembled in Harlem between Fifth and Madison Avenues. The group included Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, Thelonius Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Charles Mingus, Gerry Mulligan and Count Basie.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-jazz-2-jpgLester Young, Gerry Mulligan, Art Farmer, Gigi Gryce. ‘ Black and white: two colours forbidden to be in close proximity, yet captured so beautifully within a single black and white frame. The importance of this photo transcends time and location, leaving it to become not only a symbolic piece of art but a piece of history’ – Quincy Jones

User Info Menu

Where's Basie and the kids?

User Info Menu

Ahh.... There they are.

User Info Menu

For more, see the 2018 book:

ART KANE. HARLEM 1958 ISBN-13: 978-8894366624

User Info Menu

Maxine Sullivan, Marian McPartland and Mary Lou Williams.

ML Williams was a strong, strong person. She lived through some downright awful stuff and kept showin' folks how to get it done right.

User Info Menu

Absolutely great photo. I'd seen it before but reading the names was even greater. The talent, brains and life experience amassed in that group of people doesn't bear thinking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I wouldn't want to be mean, but what's left of that in our concerns of jazz musicians and guitarists?
    Do you mean: Is it the same today with modern players? I doubt it, it's a different time now. Depends how far back you go.

If you mean great music but dysfunctional lives, the same kind of thing definitely lasted for a long time. Nowadays, I think they're not quite so crazy. They've all been to college these days :-)

User Info Menu

How to play blues piano. Completely luscious.

User Info Menu

it would be too long here. I wrote a jazz critic's book in 2002*, and what I think hasn't changed much. But there are excellent musicians, and women, unfortunately not the best known even in the JAzz world became very small, and also excellents guitarists, not the most adored in this forum

* JAZZ ET PROBLEMES DES HOMMES, Livre, 2002

No, I'm thinking of those who come here, otherwise why say it here? And I think in particular of the idea of jazz that can give, overall, this forum, relative to the very high idea that we have, through those that appear in this photos, and of course many others since

because Rex Stewart, and Mary-Lou, and Art Blakey... and Mingus, though, it wasn't just notes, and gear, whose posts account for more than half of the total forum! (220.000/435.000) A real musical instrument fair!
    The high volume of gear posts on this forum has often been remarked upon. "Jazz" is a broad subject, to say the least, and discussions here can range from the rudiments to threads on theory than span the merely arcane to the nearly incomprehensible. It is not unthinkable that the more mundane, concrete, and quantifiable aspects of our craft, namely the guitars and attendant devices themselves, receive the lion's share of attention. It is a good thing, IMHO, that JGO provides a platform that allows us to share our thoughts and opinions, and our knowledge and experience with people whose commonality is centered of Jazz and the guitar's role in it.

User Info Menu

There's a movie that was made about the circumstances around the taking of the this
    famous photo.

"A Great Day In Harlem" - A film by Jean Bach.

Narrated by Quincy Jones, music consultant Johnny Mandel.

I have the 2 DVD special edition version. The 2nd bonus disc includes nearly 3 hours of new video profiles
    of all of the musicians involved in the photograph.

My copy is dated 2005 so there could well be copies out there or even on streaming sites/YouTube etc.

Thanks to the OP for reminding us of this fantastic work of jazz history.

User Info Menu

... it wasn't just notes, and gear, whose posts account for more than half of the total forum! (220.000/435.000) A real musical instrument fair!
    Sure, but what do you think those musicians talked about when they got together? I bet more than half the time the trumpet players talked mouthpieces and valve oil, the saxophonists chatted about reeds and ligatures and the bandleaders talked venues and agents. None of that has changed.

User Info Menu

the photo with the names of musicians (guitarists were banned). I've seen only 12 on stage, I think there's only two alive : Benny Golson and Sonny Rollins. Normal, the saxophone, the ultimate jazz instrument, it keeps
    A Great Day in Harlem: behind Art Kane's classic 1958 jazz photograph | Music | The Guardian

Benny Golson even had gigs in Europe last year.

User Info Menu

Patlotch -

1) The talent, brains and life experience amassed in that group of people doesn't bear thinking about.

2) I wouldn't want to be mean, but what's left of that in our concerns of jazz musicians and guitarists?

3) Do you mean: Is it the same today with modern players?...

4) No, I'm thinking of those who come here, otherwise why say it here?
    I'm afraid I obviously didn't understand the point you made in number 2. Can you explain it again a little more clearly? Use French if you want.

User Info Menu

Some missed the party!

Latecomers

Willie the Lion Smith

User Info Menu

There's a woman in the the Latecomers photo who appears to be completely uncredited, i.e. ignored. Wouldn't do today...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There's a woman in the the Latecomers photo who appears to be completely uncredited, i.e. ignored. Wouldn't do today...
    Looks like Mary Lou Williams, she is in the big photo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Looks like Mary Lou Williams, she is in the big photo.
    Yes, I thought that. Nice piano player. A bit naughty not to credit her, though. Ah, well.

User Info Menu

Patlotch -

4) avec tout ça, je n'ai pas répondu à votre question, en quoi sommes nous objectivement concernés, ou nous sentons-nous (subjectivement) concernés. Je ne suis pas ici pour faire des leçons de morale, et l'éthique est différente de la morale. Si vous voulez bien, je pense que c'est à chacun de s'interroger
    I know! I was reading the whole thing thinking 'What about my question!'.

I have to say I think it's a lot simpler than all this. Of course jazz has its roots and evolution, like most things, but I suspect, as far as this forum goes, that it's simply about people liking jazz and wanting to learn and play it.

By the way, I see from your profile you've retired. Do you play any more? I looked at your website. Very interesting and well put together. It includes scores of tunes you've composed but there seems to be a complete absence (I think) of any music performed by yourself.

Is this modesty? :-)

Raises a glass to your good self..

User Info Menu

Some missed the party!

Latecomers

Willie the Lion Smith
    Monk only just made it - unable to decide what to wear, he knew everyone would be there & wanted to stand out...

User Info Menu

They had to be there in the morning, I guess that ruled a lot of musicians out!

User Info Menu

:-)

User Info Menu

probably helped if you happened to be in NY at the time as well

User Info Menu

Apparently the photographer (Art Kane) expected hardly anybody to turn up, so he was very pleased to get 57.

User Info Menu

he was very pleased to get 57
    I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere but I can't...

User Info Menu

One of the interviewees on the dvd says he hadn't known until then that there was another 10 o'clock...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere but I can't...
    He managed to get 57 varieties including the Bean.

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-52f29247-2257-4eaf-a3c7-9f4f80e5a845-jpg

User Info Menu

He managed to get 57 varieties including the Bean.
    First thing I thought of but I couldn't quite make a joke out of it. 57 varieties of every bloody tune :-)

(Thank god)

User Info Menu

no one ever thought, of course, that they did not love each other as in the Gospel. Maybe one said: « If such is there, there is no way I will come! »
    A lot of religious people don't like jazz. They think it's... distorted.