The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-jazz-1-jpg 57 musicians duly assembled in Harlem between Fifth and Madison Avenues. The group included Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, Thelonius Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Charles Mingus, Gerry Mulligan and Count Basie.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-jazz-2-jpgLester Young, Gerry Mulligan, Art Farmer, Gigi Gryce. ‘ Black and white: two colours forbidden to be in close proximity, yet captured so beautifully within a single black and white frame. The importance of this photo transcends time and location, leaving it to become not only a symbolic piece of art but a piece of history’ – Quincy Jones

User Info Menu

Where's Basie and the kids?

User Info Menu

For more, see the 2018 book:

ART KANE. HARLEM 1958 ISBN-13: 978-8894366624

User Info Menu

Maxine Sullivan, Marian McPartland and Mary Lou Williams.

ML Williams was a strong, strong person. She lived through some downright awful stuff and kept showin' folks how to get it done right.

User Info Menu

Absolutely great photo. I'd seen it before but reading the names was even greater. The talent, brains and life experience amassed in that group of people doesn't bear thinking about.

User Info Menu

How to play blues piano. Completely luscious.

User Info Menu

There's a movie that was made about the circumstances around the taking of the this
    famous photo.

"A Great Day In Harlem" - A film by Jean Bach.

Narrated by Quincy Jones, music consultant Johnny Mandel.

I have the 2 DVD special edition version. The 2nd bonus disc includes nearly 3 hours of new video profiles
    of all of the musicians involved in the photograph.

My copy is dated 2005 so there could well be copies out there or even on streaming sites/YouTube etc.

Thanks to the OP for reminding us of this fantastic work of jazz history.

User Info Menu

Some missed the party!

Latecomers

Willie the Lion Smith

User Info Menu

There's a woman in the the Latecomers photo who appears to be completely uncredited, i.e. ignored. Wouldn't do today...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There's a woman in the the Latecomers photo who appears to be completely uncredited, i.e. ignored. Wouldn't do today...
    Looks like Mary Lou Williams, she is in the big photo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Looks like Mary Lou Williams, she is in the big photo.
    Yes, I thought that. Nice piano player. A bit naughty not to credit her, though. Ah, well.

User Info Menu

Some missed the party!

Latecomers

Willie the Lion Smith
    Monk only just made it - unable to decide what to wear, he knew everyone would be there & wanted to stand out...

User Info Menu

They had to be there in the morning, I guess that ruled a lot of musicians out!

User Info Menu

:-)

User Info Menu

probably helped if you happened to be in NY at the time as well

User Info Menu

Apparently the photographer (Art Kane) expected hardly anybody to turn up, so he was very pleased to get 57.

User Info Menu

he was very pleased to get 57
    I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere but I can't...

User Info Menu

One of the interviewees on the dvd says he hadn't known until then that there was another 10 o'clock...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere but I can't...
    He managed to get 57 varieties including the Bean.

ART KANES classic 1958 JAZZ photograph-52f29247-2257-4eaf-a3c7-9f4f80e5a845-jpg