Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

At Yoshi's with Larry Goldings and Bill Stewart next Wednesday eve, January 22. Just thought I'd mention it to you Bay Area folk in case it escaped your attention, as I know he's a favorite around here, and his visits to this side of the country are few and far between. (And ... I just won tickets on KCSM to go see him!)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought Yoshi's had closed?

User Info Menu

Yoshi's in San Francisco closed after being open about four or five years (if memory serves). The original Yoshi's, in Oakland, is still open, and has been in the current location off Jack London Square for at least a couple of decades. The market being what it is, they can't afford to present 100% jazz any more, but it's still a great place for live jazz, and anyone who is anyone has played there.

User Info Menu

That trio is really great, saw them once when they toured through here and it was one of the best jazz concerts I've ever heard. Bill is one of my very favorite drummers, Larry is an amazing organist, Pete is Pete- and they listen and play together so well. I wish I had 1/10th of their talent. Go if you've got the chance!

User Info Menu

Indeed, caught them about 15 yrs ago and they were great even then

User Info Menu

And I caught them maybe eight or nine years ago in San Francisco, on a double-bill with Pat Martino's organ quartet (featuring Eric Alexander and Pat Bianchi). Sweet! Looking forward to the Yoshi's gig ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perdido
    Yoshi's in San Francisco closed after being open about four or five years (if memory serves). The original Yoshi's, in Oakland, is still open, and has been in the current location off Jack London Square for at least a couple of decades. The market being what it is, they can't afford to present 100% jazz any more, but it's still a great place for live jazz, and anyone who is anyone has played there.
    First time I saw Peter was at the original Yoshis in Berkeley. He was playing an L5 at that evening. If I recall correctly, he was touring with Mel Rhynne (one of Wes’ great collaborators) on organ. Beyond the great playing, I recall that Peter was sweating profusely! So much so, that the sweat literally poured off his face and onto his instrument. One of the guys at our front row table offered him a hanky but he declined.

I’ve since tried to catch the trio with Goldings and Stewart whenever they’ve swung through the Bay Area and always take the opportunity to speak with him after the show. I also recall seeing Peter with Dr. Lonnie Smith’s group at the San Francisco Yoshi’s location before it closed. Smith featured trumpeter Christian Scott on that date. First I’d heard of him. Impressive.

I just picked up tix for the 1/22 show. As a long-time forum lurker, very occasional commenter, I would appreciate the opportunity to introduce myself to any forum members who plan to attend the show. Feel free to send a PM.

Albert

User Info Menu

Pete, apparently, can be a sweaty guy. Fortunately, it doesn't get in the way of his playing.

I'll send a PM in the coming days, once I nail down who, besides my wife, will be joining us that night.

User Info Menu

Saw Goldings and Stewart under the name Billy Stewart Trio with a piano/rhodes player a decade ago .. absolutely amazing concert. I'm sure Peter instead of a piano will be great too

User Info Menu

im going to the blue whale on Saturday 1/25. ive seen them there before..it was killinn