The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 98

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    No - have you and is it worth reading? I love musician biographies / autobiographies.
    No, I haven't read it yet. It's on my Wish List at Amazon, where I park things for future reference. I read the Summerfield bio some years ago and have been thinking it's time for a re-read.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Shouldn't have waited Mark, I just ordered a copy for $7, thanks

User Info Menu

Love this video of Barney and Herb playing the theme to "The Flintstones."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Shouldn't have waited Mark, I just ordered a copy for $7, thanks
    Where'd you get it? It's back to $19 at Amazon. It was cheaper several days back but I had shopping for others to do then, so I missed that chance. But there will be another...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Where'd you get it? It's back to $19 at Amazon. It was cheaper several days back but I had shopping for others to do then, so I missed that chance. But there will be another...

Amazon, they had a used copy for $13, one new one for $7, and several new ones for $19

User Info Menu

He had a good sense of humor too...(listen to the whole cut)

User Info Menu

I was very disappointed that so many personal items, which I could only describe as "dirty laundry", were mixed-in with the writing. Anyone, in my opinion, who buys a book on a famous person, wants to learn more about important details, what the person was like to know, and to be read as a professional biography. We all have shortcomings and pitfalls in our personality and character, especially those who are artistically-inclined, but I found it to be totally in bad taste to include some of the things about Mr. Kessel's personal life and his relationships that were better left unknown and unsaid to the general public. Barney Kessel was truly one of the greats and I loved him and his art that he gave to the world. These are the things I choose to remember about him

User Info Menu

im only quoting a comment on the book.....think ill just stick to the music
    Last edited by voxsss; 12-25-2019 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I 've collected this video-concert that hope of your interest,.!!,.Ciao fabio ,Roma.-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2lPoQn5AMo .. for a trade , dvd-copy , e-mails , fabiodrummy@gmail.com - BARNEY KESSEL.cht ,Trio , ''Music Inn'' ,1975.. Live at ''Music Inn'' jazz club in Roma , on april,1975... Franco Manzecchi,,dr ,.. Daniel Amel?t,cb (cut)!,t.22*..vd1050..- ,, ,, --

User Info Menu

My father was a former guitarist, and besides a 1935 D'A, he had a record called The Great Guitars of Jazz.
    It featured cuts by Barney, Wes, Tal. Howard Roberts and Oscar Moore. I copied as much as i could from each guitarist, and then went to my first guitar teacher, who was a BK freak.

He loaned me all the Poll Winner albums, and every other early BK album he had, and I taped them all on my reel-to-reel Sony sound on sound tape recorder, and copied as much BK as I could. He even had a copy of The Guitar he loaned me, which was like the holy grail to me back then.

Listening to BK today, you realize that none of the so-called jazz players of today, Metheny, Frisell, Mike Stern, Scofield, etc... could swing like BK, even if they were hanging from a rope (to paraphrase Art Blakey)!

User Info Menu

Barney was very grooving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Listening to BK today, you realize that none of the so-called jazz players of today, Metheny, Frisell, Mike Stern, Scofield, etc... could swing like BK, even if they were hanging from a rope (to paraphrase Art Blakey)!
    Well I think some of those guys can swing if they want to, they just don't want to.

Pat Martino seems to me to be Barney's most direct descendant in the way he uses slashing chords and single notes. And maybe Grant Green.

User Info Menu

Trust the art...not the artist. People are complicated. Listen to the art they leave behind, though, it is pretty straight forward.

Hey, you know all the stuff they used to say about Buddy Rich...but man, he sure could play.

User Info Menu

young barney k jammin the blues

"Jammin' the Blues" is a 1944 Warner Bros. short film directed by Gjon Mili. It featured Lester Young, Red Callender, Harry Edison, Marlowe Morris, Sid Catlett, Barney Kessel, Jo Jones, John Simmons, Illinois Jacquet, Marie Bryant, Archie Savage and Garland Finney. Producer Gordon Hollingshead was nominated for an Academy Award for this footage in the category of Best Short Subject, One-reel. In 1995, Jammin' the Blues was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

cheers

User Info Menu

I have 30 BK recordings just under his own name, plus most of the Great Guitars & Julie. I enjoy all of them quite a bit, as well as the recordings he made with Billie. Barney, Kenny & Wes have been my favorites for 60 years--I'll play any recording from any of them at any time :-)

His book, "The Guitar," was an engagement present from my fiancee, now bride of now 51 years, because she knew back in 1967 what a fan I was. Still am!

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 12-26-2019 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    His book, "The Guitar," was an engagement present from my fiancee, now bride of now 51 years, because she knew back in 1967 what a fan I was. Still am! .
    I don't own that book, though I had it for a few weeks through inter-library loan. I should probably request it again, as I don't recall as much from it as I had hoped! (I always think, "O, yeah, got it, I'll remember that, no problem," yet I am nearly always wrong! With music, sometimes it's okay to not remember and to work it out on your own. Using the ear and all that.) And I might "get" something now that I didn't the first time around.

User Info Menu

I love Barney, too. I bought, "The Guitar," when it was 1st published and, of course, still have it. Time to take a run through it again!

User Info Menu

Thanks for raising this topic!

Barney Kessell is one of the great guitarists of the last century and one that I listen to often. Whenever I am learning a new tune, I search for a Kessell cover. Now that I am working on bass and guitar arrangements, I find his chord melody approach inspirational and challenging.

Though it has been mentioned in other threads, the Rumark Video series (now on YouTube) provides great insights into his playing. Watching these videos is like having private lessons with him. It's a treasure trove for guitar players and a wonderful gift from Rumark. As far as I know, the heirs to the company haven't yet released the booklet for the video series. But with Barney's careful explanations, and the camera focus on his hands, it's not really necessary.

I read and enjoyed the Summerfeld biography, as well. I found it noteworthy that Summerfeld was credited with inspiring Ibanez to build a Kessell signature model, which never went into production. The prototype can be seen in the Mezzo Archive concert.

Jazz Guitar Today published a nice article on him just under a year ago, written by a gent who worked for him in Hollywood as a guitar teacher. He shares a lot of interesting background about his professional life as a businessman, as well as a musician.

User Info Menu

Here's him playing on the Jazz Scene, some of it is pretty heavy guitar hero type stuff.

User Info Menu

What a great video! There was such a wealth of art on TV in the late 50’s and early 60’s. (Some people think nothing interesting happened until 1967.)

He sure does burn through April in Paris!

BTW, that guitar (ES-350 with CC pickup) was sold at auction last year. I can’t find any information about the buyer or price. It was listed in “fair” condition LOL...

User Info Menu

Heyy I love Barney Kessel, been a little while since I've listened to him. I've just enjoyed watching a few of these videos and I think they get better over time. (meaning I'm appreciating new things that I didn't notice before)

Also, I just scored his "The Guitar" book on amazon. I wanted this when I heard about it years ago... that gift card I got for Xmas came in handy!

User Info Menu

Another nice one (they even put some trees in the studio!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    BTW, that guitar (ES-350 with CC pickup) was sold at auction last year. I can’t find any information about the buyer or price. It was listed in “fair” condition LOL...
    It is definitely a unique guitar, but Barney could probably play any guitar and sound like himself.

User Info Menu

Repost - this looks like it's an Ibanez:

User Info Menu

That’s how I play Autumn Leaves in my dreams!

Is that Neils O-P on bass? And who is the drummer?

Edit: just found out it’s Jim Richardson on bass and Tony Mann on drums. I guess he finally got his drummer to drop the final “e”... ;-)