The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

George Benson: the album that changed my life | Jazzwise

I have a question about this article but I don't want to ask it until others have read it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

SPOILER ALERT

hah

goodman used cc in his small bands..sextet...and in solo features of his big band recordings...he however did not tour with cc in the big band..he had other players who "fit in more" on tour dates...mostly mike bryan in that particular period

when i read title before reading i thought it was going to be another benson fave- hank garlands jazz winds from a new direction

nice mention of shearing...who's guitarist in that era was chuck wayne! (who we've been talking about in the listening to now thread!)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    George Benson: the album that changed my life | Jazzwise

I have a question about this article but I don't want to ask it until others have read it.
    I did not know Benson played with Charlie Christian. Man that guy (GB) played with everybody!

George Benson Meets The King of Swing

I thought Benson said in other interviews that his dad or stepdad made his first guitar, not a uke. In any event, like many of us I'm sure it was a painful to play instrument that tested our interest in playing a stringed instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I did not know Benson played with Charlie Christian. Man that guy (GB) played with everybody!
    I think you meant Benny Goodman? Otherwise we are getting into the world of seances, mediums, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think you meant Benny Goodman? Otherwise we are getting into the world of seances, mediums, etc.
    LOL! I musta had a brain fart...too common at my age. Could be related to an unhealthy diet of factoids from the internet.

Yes, of course Benny Goodman. Though maybe George might be *channeling* Charlie through his playing?

User Info Menu

Well CC died in 1942 and GB was born in 1943, so if you believe in reincarnation...

User Info Menu

I'm wondering which album George heard.

In the article, the Columbia record from the '80s is pictured but at the bottom of the article the track listing is for "The Genius of Electric Guitar", which came out in 1990.

The material was far older than that and some versions of all those tunes were released, but I don't know that they were readily available on one disc when George was a kid. (Born in '43.)

I don't doubt George heard Charlie but it's still not clear to me WHICH album changed George's life. ;o) But near as I can figure, it would be the Minton's Playhouse material, which came out in the early '50s.

User Info Menu

george b was born a year after cc's passing..but many of the older guitar greats who loved charlie christian, heard him on benny goodman radio broadcasts...in those days of radio, live broadcasts from clubs throughout the country were a very common & popular thing...not until later that some made their way to vinyl

cheers

ps- they show the lp in the top pic of the benson interview...came out on columbia in 1955!..when george was abt 12!!...(makes sense!)

Charlie Christian – With The Benny Goodman Sextet And Orchestra

Tracklist

A1 Blues In B
    A2 Wholly Cats
    A3 Till Tom Special
    A4 Gone With "What" Wind
    A5 Breakfast Feud
    A6 Air Mail Special
    B1 Waitin' For Benny
    B2 A Smo-o-o-oth One
    B3 Seven Come Eleven
    B4 Six Appeal
    B5 Gone With What Draft
    B6 Solo Flight

Charlie Christian - With The Benny Goodman Sextet And Orchestra (1955, Vinyl) | Discogs

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    george b was born a year after cc's passing..but many of the older guitar greats who loved charlie christian, heard him on benny goodman radio broadcasts...in those days of radio, live broadcasts from clubs throughout the country were a very common & popular thing...not until later that some made their way to vinyl

cheers

ps- they show the lp in the top pic of the benson interview...came out on columbia in 1955!..when george was abt 12!!...(makes sense!)

Charlie Christian – With The Benny Goodman Sextet And Orchestra

Tracklist

A1 Blues In B
    A2 Wholly Cats
    A3 Till Tom Special
    A4 Gone With "What" Wind
    A5 Breakfast Feud
    A6 Air Mail Special
    B1 Waitin' For Benny
    B2 A Smo-o-o-oth One
    B3 Seven Come Eleven
    B4 Six Appeal
    B5 Gone With What Draft
    B6 Solo Flight

Charlie Christian - With The Benny Goodman Sextet And Orchestra (1955, Vinyl) | Discogs

cheers

Cool, I have that exact LP. My aunt who lived in New York at the time bought it for my birthday in 1976. I transcribed solos using the "lift the needle" method.