The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    Thanks a lot for the recommendations everybody!!! And all the best for the new year!!!

Listening to some of the YouTube videos at the moment, trying to wrap my head around Chet's style. He certainly is one of a kind!
    Hi, H,
    As a final remark, the premier trumpet player of the past was not Miles . . .but Chet. If you listen to any of his albums in comparison to Miles, his lyricism, inventions, pacing, creativity, musicality and TONE were superior-- in my opinion. And, this is in no way a disparaging remark about Miles--one of my favorite trumpet players before his Rock fiasco period, but rather based on the last 50 years of listening and studying their music. And, for us guitarists who are LYRICAL rather than LINEAR players, there is no better teacher of melodic playing than Chet. Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, H,
    As a final remark, the premier trumpet player of the past was not Miles . . .but Chet. If you listen to any of his albums in comparison to Miles, his lyricism, inventions, pacing, creativity, musicality and TONE were superior-- in my opinion. And, this is in no way a disparaging remark about Miles--one of my favorite trumpet players before his Rock fiasco period, but rather based on the last 50 years of listening and studying their music. And, for us guitarists who are LYRICAL rather than LINEAR players, there is no better teacher of melodic playing than Chet. Good playing . . . Marinero

Much as I dig Chet there's no way I'd call him "the premier trumpet player of the past"
    I hate comparing but Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard immediately spring to mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Much as I dig Chet there's no way I'd call him "the premier trumpet player of the past"
    I hate comparing but Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard immediately spring to mind.
    Hi, Wintermoon,
    Isn't that why some prefer Chateaubriand while others opt for Prime Rib? Thanks for the comments and I also love the three t's you mentioned! That's what makes Jazz so interesting. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, H,
    As a final remark, the premier trumpet player of the past was not Miles . . .but Chet. If you listen to any of his albums in comparison to Miles, his lyricism, inventions, pacing, creativity, musicality and TONE were superior-- in my opinion.
    Even this one? (I am a huge Chet fan but some of his output is questionable!)

User Info Menu

The first solo I ever transcribed was Chet Baker's on "But Not for Me." I also did about 4 choruses of his "Summertime" both of these from early recordings. His playing was inventive but totally playable. I always found it interesting that what he played was not hard to play, it was hard to THINK to play. I couldn't imagine the lines, but when I heard him play them, I could find them on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The first solo I ever transcribed was Chet Baker's on "But Not for Me." I also did about 4 choruses of his "Summertime" both of these from early recordings. His playing was inventive but totally playable. I always found it interesting that what he played was not hard to play, it was hard to THINK to play. I couldn't imagine the lines, but when I heard him play them, I could find them on the guitar.
    Totally agree. Interestingly despite of Chet and Miles are way different, the same statements can be valid about Miles too, or at least about many Miles recordings on standards. Also not only the solos worth to analyze, but the heads too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Even this one? (I am a huge Chet fan but some of his output is questionable!)

Wow, Graham,
    I couldn't make it past the first few bars! Definitely what we call in the Arts a "pot boiler"-- helps pay the bills. I remember, in a similar vein, a gig I once played as a saxophonist in the 70's to fill in for a "saxer" in a polka band that couldn't make the gig due to illness- accordion, bass, and drums and NO ONE was in tune. I tried several times to "tune-up" with the accordion and the bassist who repeatedly said it was "just fine." I was easily a 1/4 tone, if not more, out of tune. It was the only gig I walked off the stage before the end. Well, we can at least say Chet played in tune! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Yes sadly Chet got talked into doing some lousy recording sessions in the 60s, he really needed the money badly by then. And at some point his teeth got busted so he was really struggling to play properly.

But actually if you wait until he plays a solo on that track, it’s still essentially the same Chet, playing some remarkably melodic lines, under the circumstances.

User Info Menu

This is an interesting duet with Caterina Valente, an international pop singer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    This is an interesting duet with Caterina Valente, an international pop singer.

Hi, Andy,
    I never heard this recording of Chet. Thanks. However, the guitar is much too busy for my taste.
    Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

The Mariachi Brass was a blatant pay day gig for Baker. You cannot imagine a more formulaic ripoff of the TJB, right down to the "four on the floor" Hal Blaine bass drum. Some folks were cashing in on the Herb Alpert craze of the mid-60s and offering Chet Baker some money to lend his name to the enterprise. It actually strikes me now as sort of TJB Karaoke music--haven't heard the album in about 50 years, so I'm listening with fresh ears.

Everybody was doing pay day gigs back then. Barney Kessel "Hair." Wes Montgomery "Tequila."

User Info Menu

He also made a great album modestly titled “The Most Important Jazz Album of 65/66”. The album is all Tadd Dameron tunes. The Miles vs Chet debate is interesting. Frankly, I enjoy Chets playing far more but Miles had the wherewithal to put together amazing bands and write and sometimes steal great tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    He also made a great album modestly titled “The Most Important Jazz Album of 65/66”. The album is all Tadd Dameron tunes. The Miles vs Chet debate is interesting. Frankly, I enjoy Chets playing far more but Miles had the wherewithal to put together amazing bands and write and sometimes steal great tunes.
    Pretty sure that's on the Colpix label.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    this may not be his best record, but to make two shots with one stone*, with a guitarist. The recording is bad, but live Italia, 1962

* french expression for kill two birds with one stone

George Grunz (p) Karl Theodor Geier (b) Eberhard Stengel (dr)

contrary to popular belief, it was not only good on ballads
    another Chet Baker, again with René Thomas:
    Rene totally owns PUH. He plays the hell out of it on the Bobby Jaspar Quartet album "Live at Ronnie Scott's", with Daniel Humair on drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Rene totally owns PUH. He plays the hell out of it on the Bobby Jaspar Quartet album "Live at Ronnie Scott's", with Daniel Humair on drums.
    quite true....
    "and now we would like to play a ballad, Durn Dat Dream"

User Info Menu

For any of our readers in London, a good drummer friend of mine is playing with The Retro Chet Collective at the Bulls Head in Barnes this coming Sunday, 19th January. They will be recreating the 1975 Jim Hall album 'Concierto', recorded with Chet Baker.

RetroChet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    For any of our readers in London, a good drummer friend of mine is playing with The Retro Chet Collective at the Bulls Head in Barnes this coming Sunday, 19th January. They will be recreating the 1975 Jim Hall album 'Concierto', recorded with Chet Baker.

RetroChet

Glad to hear the Bulls Head is still going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ...the record "Chet" (which features a bit of a jazz supergroup of sorts) is a great starting place.....
    WHAT MR BEAUMONT SAID. This is not just my favorite Chet Baker record (recorded in that 1959 peak year of straight ahead jazz, when so much of the greatest stuff was going down), but one of my top 5 favorite jazz albums ever, and that includes guitar albums, which is saying a lot for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Glad to hear the Bulls Head is still going.
    Yes, it's a little different now, no longer in the old music room at the back but in a separate room across the alley where the thai restaurant used to be, but still going 7 days a week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I have this album but it is call The Italian Sessions (reissue?). First rate with a solid EU band. For those loving jazz guitar, Rene Thomas has some very fluid solos as does Jaspar on the Sax.
    When I first heard Rene Thomas I was like, yeah I like that. So smooth. I still listen to my Chet Baker CD's just to hear RT
    Oh, Chet plays pretty good too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    the last time I saw René Thomas, it was in concert in Paris in December 1974. My friend was taking photos, she got yelled at because it was making noise

René Thomas died on January 3, 1975. We opened the camera, there was no film

he had performed Billy Eckstine's I Want to Talk About You in tribute to John Coltrane (Live at Birdland). A poignant version. I have an audio cassette, but the sound is very bad

Rene Thomas is among my favorite players. I listen to jazzradio.com "Guitar Jazz" channel every day and they always play several of RT's tracks. He wasn't a copy of Jimmy Raney, rather, he'd fully digested Raney's music and then expressed it with his own talent. You can hear Raney's influence, but Rene Thomas has his own voice as well. I always stop and smile when one of his tracks plays.

I think he does not get the attention he deserves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Rene Thomas is among my favorite players. I listen to jazzradio.com "Guitar Jazz" channel every day and they always play several of RT's tracks. He wasn't a copy of Jimmy Raney, rather, he'd fully digested Raney's music and then expressed it with his own talent. You can hear Raney's influence, but Rene Thomas has his own voice as well. I always stop and smile when one of his tracks plays.

I think he does not get the attention he deserves.
    Probably would have if he was from the states. Same w his pal Bobby Jaspar on tenor and flute, superb player....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have a soft spot for his jazz funk album You Can't Go Home Again, maybe not for everyone but the playing is great and Chet seems to be enjoying himself.

Also I love the albums Chet on Riverside, he is slightly over shadowed by the stella cast of supporting players but the album is a great moody set of torch songs.

User Info Menu

I really enjoy "My Funny Valentine - Chet Baker plays and sings for lovers". It was recorded in the 1953 - 56 time frame. I really like his vocals as well as his trumpet playing.