The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

I'm completely ignorant of his body of work. And he recorded so much stuff! Which album of his should I listen to first?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favourite:

Chet Baker - The Touch of Your Lips

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    I'm completely ignorant of his body of work. And he recorded so much stuff! Which album of his should I listen to first?
    No idea, but I am quite taken at present with the album Diane by Chet and Paul Bley.

User Info Menu

Gosh, where to start?

I really love the record wengr just mentioned, and pretty much anything Chet released with his European crews in the 70's/80's...the trios with Doug Raney, ANYTHING with Philip Catherine (try Chet's Choice)

For older Chet, the record "Chet" (which features a bit of a jazz supergroup of sorts) is a great starting place.

User Info Menu

”Chet Baker Sings” and ”She Was Too Good To Me” are great albums.

User Info Menu

Playboys with Art Pepper is one that I like.

User Info Menu

One of my favorites is "Chet Baker, My Favorite Songs-the last great concert". Recorded in Europe, I believe, with a big band. It's a gorgeous sounding album and there is some fine guitar work as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    One of my favorites is "Chet Baker, My Favorite Songs-the last great concert". Recorded in Europe, I believe, with a big band. It's a gorgeous sounding album and there is some fine guitar work as well.
    Man, that's another "must hear" in my opinion. The "My Funny Valentine" on there I think is the sound Chet had in his head for it his entire career. That whole album, really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    No idea, but I am quite taken at present with the album Diane by Chet and Paul Bley.
    That's a wonderful album in my opinion.

For those who like ballads, I also recommend the fully instrumental album "Chet" released in 1959: Chet (Chet Baker album) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfcx
    That's a wonderful album in my opinion.

For those who like ballads, I also recommend the fully instrumental album "Chet" released in 1959: Chet (Chet Baker album) - Wikipedia

Diane is an excellent lp as are most on Steeplechase
    For an all instrumental lp try "Chet Is Back" w/Bobby Jaspar, Rene Thomas, Amadeo Tomassi, Benoit Quersin and Daniel Humair, he's really at the top of his game as are the sidemen.
    Here's a sample...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Diane is an excellent lp as are most on Steeplechase
    For an all instrumental lp try "Chet Is Back" w/Bobby Jaspar, Rene Thomas, Amadeo Tomassi, Benoit Quersin and Daniel Humair, he's really at the top of his game as are the sidemen.
    Here's a sample...

I have this album but it is call The Italian Sessions (reissue?). First rate with a solid EU band. For those loving jazz guitar, Rene Thomas has some very fluid solos as does Jaspar on the Sax.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I have this album but it is call The Italian Sessions (reissue?). First rate with a solid EU band. For those loving jazz guitar, Rene Thomas has some very fluid solos as does Jaspar on the Sax.
    I have the orig lp Chet Is Back I bought in Paris on my honeymoon back in the day but later bought the Italian Sessions on cd. However the sound quality was horrible, tons of reverb etc, maybe the one you have is a different run?
    It's been re released though and the sound quality is good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I have the orig lp Chet Is Back I bought in Paris on my honeymoon back in the day but later bought the Italian Sessions on cd. However the sound quality was horrible, tons of reverb etc, maybe the one you have is a different run?
    It's been re released though and the sound quality is good.
    I had one of those early Italian Session where the sound quality was poor, but since I loved this album so much I purchased the re-released one. Funny I also got that in Paris. I.e. anytime I go there (every few years), I always stop by a music store and to see what they have that I can't get here. They often have EU re-releases or ones from Japan (which I have found to be of very high quality).

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of his '50s vocals, though some are not. You can figure out pretty quickly using Youtube which category you fall into. His versions of "Look for the Silver Lining" and "Time After Time" are representative.

If you like his singing, the compilation "Let's Get Lost (The Best Of Chet Baker Sings)" on EMI / Pacific Jazz has the cream of the crop. All recorded from about '54-'56. The last album where he still has a youthful quality to his vocals is probably the CTI record "She Was Too Good to Me", from the early '70s. Go on Youtube, put on some headphones, and listen to him sing "She Was too Good to Me" and "What'll I Do"--see if he doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. The ultimate lush junkie ballad singing.

I like some of his later singing, but it sounds like the singing of a guy who's been through hell, a more weary (and sometimes more out of tune) version of his youthful vocals. The soundtrack to the documentary "Let's Get Lost" (BMG...not to be confused with the other album I mentioned with the same title) has some of my favorite late vocals.

His work as a member of the piano-less and all-instrumental Gerry Mulligan Quartet is part of jazz history. The bulk is on Pacific Jazz (EMI), so start there, the '53-'54 stuff. If you like it, look for the sessions on Fantasy and GNP records. He's also on a "tentette" session with Mulligan that's similar in texture to Miles and Mulligan's "Birth of the Cool" band.

The "Last Great Concert" on Enja from 1988 (a month before his death) is pretty killer, as is a similar concert with an orchestra from 9-months earlier ("The Legacy - Vol. 1"). From 1987, his "Chet Baker in Tokyo" concert (with a piano / bass / drums quartet) is well recorded and he's in pretty good form there as well.

For some straight instrumental bop blowing, he cut 5 LPs worth of tunes with Detroit pianist Kirk Lightsey and tenor player George Coleman (who had been in Miles' band the year before) in 1965 for Prestige (collected on "Stairway to the Stars" and two more CDs). The 1978 recording "Broken Wing" is another good place to hear his mainstream bop side. He even tackles a Wayne Shorter piece there.

User Info Menu

Another great album is Chet Baker’s session work on Jim Hall’s ”Concierto”.

User Info Menu

For more "wisdom of the crowds", see this Steve Hoffman forum post:
    Chet Baker: where to start? | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

You'll notice certain records appearing over and over.

As for "Listen to ANYTHING he ever recorded---and treat it like the Holy Grail." ...Well, I'll raise the issue of "opportunity cost" here.

Why sit around listening to "Blood, Chet, and Tears" when you could be listening to Chet playing "My Funny Valentine" with the Gerry Mulligan quartet? You only go around once. Are your precious hours really best spent listening to all six of Chet's "Mariachi Brass" Herb Alpert knock-off albums?

User Info Menu

Me too.
    I love the sound of that album. The way it was recorded/captured is breath taking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    Any ballad. When I try to familiarize myself with a tune, I always look for Chet's rendering. (and also for Dexter Gordon, Miles, and Peter Bernstein) This gives me a material for a lifetime, what I can not process because of lack of time.

In case you would prefer proceed not tune by tune instead a complete session, I recommend the Bill Evans sessions, btw Kenny Burrell also on it. Sorry! Something went wrong!

(nothing went wrong...)
    Last edited by Gabor; 12-26-2019 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I have been a fan of Chet since the 60's when I first became addicted to Jazz. His lyricism, inventions, phrasing, tone and musicality are second to none. In my opinion, "Live In Tokyo" is his best album because it showcases a mature artist's vision of a creative and sadly, tumultuous life of a "poete maudit" who has reached the peak of musical expression. Anyone who considers themselves a serious musician should be familiar with his work. Highly recommended. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Any ballad. When I try to familiarize myself with a tune, I always look for Chet's rendering. (and also for Dexter Gordon, Miles, and Peter Bernstein) This gives me a material for a lifetime, what I can not process because of lack of time.

In case you would prefer proceed not tune by tune instead a complete session, I recommend the Bill Evans sessions, btw Kenny Burrell also on it. Sorry! Something went wrong!

(nothing went wrong...)
    I have this. I bought it because of Bill, (love Bill). I keep listening to it because of Chet.

User Info Menu

Pretty sure all of the early recordings are good. Once he went to Europe things got suspect but were oftentimes amazing anyway.

The movie Let's Get Lost is definitely worth watching. And the soundtrack is great. Toothless Chet is a pretty good variety of Chet.

I feel like the band on Let's Get Lost: The Best of Chet Baker Sings is not at his level, nevertheless the performances are perfect.

I don't know which recordings but definitely the stuff with Gerry Mulligan is worth checking out.

User Info Menu

I really love "It Could Happen To You" with Sam Jones, Philly Joe, and Kenny Drew, what a rhythm section! Songs are great too, such classics. also a ridiculous album cover that my wife and I still laugh about.

Chet has some of the most singable solos of any jazz musician.

User Info Menu

chet soloing...walking that tightrope...that he walked often and best

cheers

User Info Menu

I have this. I bought it because of Bill, (love Bill). I keep listening to it because of Chet.
    I also love this guitar player on the record what was his name... oh I got it, certain Kenny Burrell

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the recommendations everybody!!! And all the best for the new year!!!

Listening to some of the YouTube videos at the moment, trying to wrap my head around Chet's style. He certainly is one of a kind!