User Info Menu

I'm back from the depths of influenza and on the mend. I just heard this today and was really moved. Here's Jimmy Scott, vocalist, with the Jazz standard "The Nearness of You." Jimmy, you are greatly missed! R.I.P. Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I don't understand what great art has to do with "not being learned from a book", and I don't understand the purpose in pointing that out. There are literally countless things in the universe that will NOT yield this. Probably only one thing that WILL honestly.

Anyway, it's a great performance, of which I was unaware. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I don't understand what great art has to do with "not being learned from a book", and I don't understand the purpose in pointing that out. There are literally countless things in the universe that will NOT yield this. Probably only one thing that WILL honestly.

Anyway, it's a great performance, of which I was unaware. Thanks for posting.
    Hi, Matt,
    My only point is that there are some musicians who have an undefinable quality/voice that is not a product of technique or musical training. People have attempted to describe it with terms like "heart," "soul," etc. but I would simply say its the pinnacle of achievement for an artist. We see it in the songs of Billie Holiday, the lyricism and visceral interpretations in Chet Baker's ballads, the guttural and human-like voice of saxophonist Gene Ammon's love songs, the magical interplay between Coltrane and Johnny Hartman and yes, in the deeply felt songs of Little Jimmy Scott. In my generation of musicians, it was the ultimate achievement: to find a unique voice. And, for some, it will be ,perhaps, forever illusive. It's not a criticism but an awareness. Thanks for your response. Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. Here's Chet in one of his last performances from "Live in Tokyo" before his sad and tragic death in Amsterdam I hope you enjoy.