The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

I love Trane but I could listen to Dexter Gordon all day. Same with Wes versus Kenny. I think it's that Trane and Wes are more demanding of me as a listener and after a while I get worn out. I never get tired of listening to Kenny. Maybe not as innovative as Wes (i.e. octaves and block chord improv) but a complete guitarist with an appealing tone and distinctive concept. Hey, and he's a good singer too!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Without a doubt Kenny.

User Info Menu

Wes AND Kenny.

User Info Menu

Actually, neither for me. I can- and have- listen to Ed Bickert or Jim Hall all day, but I don't think I could do that with Wes or Kenny. Not sure why.

User Info Menu

Wes and Kenny, but Jim is still one of the best.

User Info Menu

Both, but KB is maybe in my top 3 ever, so...

User Info Menu

Give me a dollop of Wes...a scoop of Kenny...and sweeten it with some old school Benson...and I'd be a happy the rest of my guitar listening life.

User Info Menu

Wes. Enough said.

User Info Menu

Kenny G?!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Kenny G?!!
    Yes of course! Kenny G.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Kenny G?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Yes of course! Kenny G.
    Not my cup of tea, but indisputably the best golfer in show business.

User Info Menu

Favorite KB tracks or solos?
    Last edited by 44lombard; 12-14-2019 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

None.

Edit: Oops, I thought you meant Kenny G again!

KB: any time he plays a blues, I'm in heaven.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 12-14-2019 at 12:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Midnight Blue and Satin Doll. As short those solos are, I can listen them zillion times since decades.

However there is no way I can mention same level Wes with Kenny Burrell. Wes is a hero, and I love his music, but talking about Kenny Burrell, I love his music, despite his weaknesses, because it is loveble. Not the same.

User Info Menu

Wes, all the way! Kenny who?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Wes, all the way! Kenny who?
    Maybe this is a bit harsh...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Maybe this is a bit harsh...
    Maybe yea. But Wes is in another league for me, all I can say.

User Info Menu

If I had to pick one it would be Wes.
    Fortunately I don't have to....

User Info Menu

Tough to pick and when Wes is on he manages to be the best. At the same time I can get a bit too much of his octave stuff. I enjoy his single lines and block chords but the octave thing goes on a bit much. Now Kenny at times can get a little bluesy to the point it is not his most interesting lines. His stuff when he is on though is amazing with very consistent sound.

User Info Menu

neither of them..just too much Guitar.. but i could listen to this for hrs....below

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Silly question when you can have 'em both actually but if I couldn't I'd choose Kenny (I mean Burrell, Rob! ) for his always great tone and his versatilty for example.

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    All the likes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    If I had to pick one it would be Wes.
    Fortunately I don't have to....
    I was reading liner notes by Don DeMichael from Wes' Fingerpickin' CD (Wes' first as a leader- 1957): Below is the part relevant to your post and this thread:

Montgomery fever soon spread through the jazz community and the fans outdid the critics. Thousand declared that Wes was the greatest of all guitarist, to the implied detriment of such worthies as Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall, Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessell,,. But jazz fans - and critics - are like that, always looking for kings, the "best", whatever that means.

Musicians know better, and if there is anything they detest it's a comparison of one mans' work to another's. Music is not a contest. There are many flowers, of many hues and shapes, in the garden, and who can say a rose is more beautiful than a lily. There's is no need to choose. ENJOY THEM ALL.