Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I saw a great show last night featuring two premiere players in a duo setting. Can you guess who just by looking at their guitars? (Sorry, no pics were allowed during the show!)

    Name that duo?-frisell-lage-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 12-07-2019 at 11:20 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    The filename of the photo gives the game away - unless it is deliberately misleading.

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Cheater. ;-)

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Frisell & Lage

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Cheater. ;-)
    Hey, the names came right-up by just going over the photo. One couldn't help but cheat!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    True dat. Heh, heh. I guess this is a non-thread, really. I was just so delighted to see these two guys play together I had to post something. Probably my two favorite cats playing today.

    Just two guitars. No rhythm section.

    This is the kind of show I know a lot of guitar players or other musicians would like to see. But what impressed me most--this was a general audience of over 1,000 people at UCLA, listening to two guys play an unscripted show, with extensive, creative, sometimes challenging improvisation. And it went over very well.

    Maybe there is hope.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    True dat. Heh, heh. I guess this is a non-thread, really. I was just so delighted to see these two guys play together I had to post something. Probably my two favorite cats playing today.

    Just two guitars. No rhythm section.

    This is the kind of show I know a lot of guitar players or other musicians would like to see. But what impressed me most--this was a general audience of over 1,000 people at UCLA, listening to two guys play an unscripted show, with extensive, creative, sometimes challenging improvisation. And it went over very well.

    Maybe there is hope.
    1000 people showed up to hear them play? You're joking!

    I am pleasantly surprised. I remember in college hearing that so-an-so incredible guitarist or pianist was coming, and maybe 100 people would show. I think I saw John Fahey in a small auditorium with about 50 people once.

    Heck, Dexter Gordon came to give a TALK and about 100 people showed. And they were (undertandably IMO) pissed that he didn't even play his saxophone.

    But still...in Europe 1000 people would have come just to see Dexter Gordon, even if he didn't play a note.

    Sometimes when I think jazz and high-quality, thoughtful music in general is dying out, something happens the right way to prove me wrong. I am jealous and would love to have seen that show.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Flat: Since the concert was at U.C.L.A. I wonder if there was any announcement related to Kenny Burrell.

    I know a guy that works for the U.C.L.A. music department and when I asked him about Kenny in October, he told me everyone in the department was as clueless as we were.

    I live in the O.C.; Man I need to get better at keeping informed about shows like this. The O.C. has little to no jazz anymore (since Steamers in Fullerton closed), so the wife and I haven't see a solid jazz show in a few years.

    One concert at U.C.L.A. I'll never forget was seeing Stephane Grappelli in the early 80s. Wow that was something.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Hey James, I lived in La Habra during my teens, and still have family in Fullerton and Brea, so I know that territory. In recent years, we got to see Ron Eschete, my chord melody teacher from GIT, play at Steamers several times. Shame they've closed that place.

    I didn't hear anything about Kenny Burrell that night. I do wonder how he is doing.

    Julian did remark at the concert's opening that it was (would have been) Jim Hall's birthday, and that Jim had been a mentor to both him and Bill at different times in their lives. Then he said Jim would almost always play ATTYA at every gig. So he and Bill played that tune, dedicating it to the memory of Jim. Really a sweet moment.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Hey James, I lived in La Habra during my teens, and still have family in Fullerton and Brea, so I know that territory. In recent years, we got to see Ron Eschete, my chord melody teacher from GIT, play at Steamers several times. Shame they've closed that place.

    I didn't hear anything about Kenny Burrell that night. I do wonder how he is doing.

    Julian did remark at the concert's opening that it was (would have been) Jim Hall's birthday, and that Jim had been a mentor to both him and Bill at different times in their lives. Then he said Jim would almost always play ATTYA at every gig. So he and Bill played that tune, dedicating it to the memory of Jim. Really a sweet moment.
    I assume I saw you at one of those every-third-Wednesday sessions Eschete would do at Steamers. Yea, Steamers was great for me since I have lived in Laguna Beach area for decades. Now I have to drive to La La Land but I would for a concert of pros like these guys.

    1,000 people digging jazz with no drummer; yea, that is cool and I admit I didn't think So Cal would be able to attract such a crowd for this type of jazz (i.e. NOT smooth\ the Wave jazz). The Buddhist university, Soka, is about the only place that has jazz events; Saw Larry Koonze there a few times.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    There is (or was) a performance series called "Lord of the Strings" that put on shows in maybe Laguna Beach or Dana Point or Capistrano Beach. Mostly flat-top acoustic solo performances. Laurence Juber, Pepe D'Agostino, or one time I got to see Eric Johnson on acoustic. Not jazz, but great shows.

    They had Mimi Fox in one year. After the show, I got in line to have her sign a CD for me. When I finally met her, I was like suddenly and bizarrely tongue-tied and spouted a very Ralph Camden-like "homina homina homina." I guess I was tired from the long drive down the 405. I just held out the CD and kind of whimpered.

    My wife still teases me about that.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I guessed Frizell right off (yellow tele). Not the other one. Didn't notice the file name thing :-)

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I guessed Frizell right off (yellow tele). Not the other one. Didn't notice the file name thing :-)
    Funny enough, my guess is Frisell played the Collings semi-hollow, not the tele.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Can't explain it. There are more photos/vids of Lage playing a yellow tele just like that one. But I saw the picture and thought 'Bill Frizell', just like that. And he does play one, although his has got sort of starry things on it. Weird. But the black one could have been anybody's.