The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 141

User Info Menu

Thanks for this review ! Can’t wait to read your following review !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icheme
    Thanks for this review ! Can’t wait to read your following review !
    Fyi, I've started a thread on this here George Benson method, Peter Farrell

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I wish "Patterns for Jazz" were spiral bound.
    (The copy I bought nearly 40 years ago is.... are the new ones not sold that way?)
    _____

I have the first 3 months of videos from Peter's Facebook group, and had to bow out to catch up, but he truly has been able to define so much of what Benson is all about, and I'm not that far into it. I will pick up at least the first book when they are released, and it is probably priced lower than the rest as a "loss leader" I imagine, to get people on board.

I get the arguments about price, but on the other hand, it's his time and he really is a brilliant player, so he should charge what he wants. It's always good to throw a few things out for free, and I believe he is doing that with the videos on his FB page, probably to establish his credibility. I think books can be an incredible bargain, but consider that a one hour lesson with Bernstein, Metheny, Hall, any of the greats would probably be a bargain at $100. If the books truly deliver, then the cost for the experience and shortcuts could easily be worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    (The copy [of Patterns For Jazz] I bought nearly 40 years ago is [spiral bound].... are the new ones not sold that way?)
    Mine wasn't. I haven't seen a spiral-bound copy. I would much prefer one.

User Info Menu

there you go!

I'm a music education books freak

The George Benson Method-img_2976-jpg

User Info Menu

Some are neurotic music book hoarders....

User Info Menu

Here Peter explains the content of the books and why they have organized them the way they have, and then goes on to show what Benson calls the secret of the two chords, a way to visualize the fretboard alternating between a major chord and the relative minor chord up the neck. Here he shows Cmaj7 (3rd fret) - Am7 (5th fret) - Cmaj7 (8th fret) - Am7 (10th fret) and Am7 (12th fret) and how to use them to connect the fretboard

He even talks a little about the Benson picking method saying that it is not the right hand that is the most important for Bensons technique, but the combination with the left.

He also shows some lines and what he calls chord arpeggios which compliments each of the major/minor chords above. This is actually almost the same as he has showed in one of the first paid Facebook lessons that I have been following (for a year now)

User Info Menu

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Book 1 (figured start at the beginning) the price is REALLY steep especially given the USD conversion (ouch!) but I guess it is what it is. I'll get working thru this in 2020 and we'll see if it merits further volumes....I'm also going to "try" and declare 2020 the year I buy no other guitar/music instructional books....the library has reached a point where there is no way in my remaining lifetime I'll be able to give them the proper due, that's a good problem I guess

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bambus123
    Here Peter explains the content of the books and why they have organized them the way they have, and then goes on to show what Benson calls the secret of the two chords, a way to visualize the fretboard alternating between a major chord and the relative minor chord up the neck. Here he shows Cmaj7 (3rd fret) - Am7 (5th fret) - Cmaj7 (8th fret) - Am7 (10th fret) and Am7 (12th fret) and how to use them to connect the fretboard

He even talks a little about the Benson picking method saying that it is not the right hand that is the most important for Bensons technique, but the combination with the left.

He also shows some lines and what he calls chord arpeggios which compliments each of the major/minor chords above. This is actually almost the same as he has showed in one of the first paid Facebook lessons that I have been following (for a year now)

I really do not want to cause bad feelings to anyone who knows Peter Farrell, or to Peter personally. I also emphasize I am talking exclusively about this video and not about Peter Farrell's work in general (what I definitely do not know, and just trying to get familiar with, motivated by your recommendation) .. and also supposedly it turns out my posts in the past, that Benson is one of my hero...

...but guys, either you are so polite and gentleman, or biased blind (hopefully the first)...
    someone must to say: Is this a parody?

Peter is soooo unprepared in this video and so incapable to transmit any message, he can not even find the words, has trouble to assemble meaningful sentences, does not even know the numbers of the chapters... Someone must ask: For God's sake he is positioned here as a teacher, who's, most basic responsibility to be prepared, and have the skill to meaningfully explain things, shortest time as the student can invent himself...

OK, I know this is a sales video (contrary its title) and I have no problem with sales, But again, it is the worst sales I ever seen, the length and unpreparedness and demonstrates a total lack of authenticity and authority.

Well after 32 minutes literal nothing we start get know the "secret" (still using approx 10x more sentences as necessary) that major and its relative minor can be utilized in similar contexts. Wow! Maybe I am wrong but is not this what we probably discovering at somewhere the beginning of the journey by ourselfs?

I understand if someone find those words overstatements, again those words are about the quoted video exclusively. The video was posted, someone must talk about it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Some are neurotic music book hoarders....

Pictures of Ted Greene's apartment look much the same. Unlike me, I think he had read them all and worked through them. By comparison my stack of unread instructional material is modest. I feel much better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    Try with this video, maybe you'll find it more interesting.

A post by The George Benson Method on Today
    This is a shame. This is literally the Walt Disney version of jazz and Benson. Throwing random bensonish lines while impersonating Darth Vader? Really? Is this the way to get know the legacy of blues, the essence of soul and the artistry of George Benson? Are we going to teach students, that nothing valuable content matters, just the empty shell? (form I mean)

Even we completely disregard the Darth Vader thing, it is so shallow, and striped out of soul, what would the quintessence of Benson. Carrying the message, that no real content, feeling and soul matters, it is enough just to fake it, Someone should warn Benson to stop this guy, or else people will start identify Benson associated with this picture.

I give up on this.

User Info Menu

I have serious doubt now that you have some extremely bad feelings about Peter himself and his teaching.
    If this is "shallow, stripped out version with random bensonish lines" to you really don't get the point and don't hear one of the most important and most neglected thing in jazz (and music at all). That is connection with the rhythm in a specific way that he demonstrates so well here in this video. It is not tatatata connection, it's much deeper and organic. Can you hear it while he is playing and singing at the same time?
    If this is shallow to you than you are either musical genious (so this is child game for you) or you are totally missing the point.
    I'm really not trying to bash you, I apologise if some if my sentences are rude, but man, wake up. This is pure gold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    I have serious doubt now that you have some extremely bad feelings about Peter himself and his teaching.
    I do not know neither Peter neither his teaching. I wrote about the videos, and the minimum what anyone can say about those, is "confusing". I really do not want interpret and listen and understand Benson as collection of secret golden tricks, and neither as Darth Vader, this is not the way. And of course I am not comparing Peter playing abilities to myself, please do not go into this.

You wrote "pure gold", and I agree, analyzing Benson (as analyzing many other great artists) could be pure gold, and all the legacy on the hundreds of recordings are also pure gold.

I think I made some point, also answered to your thoghts, from now it would be just repeting those, what I really do not want.
    Last edited by Gabor; 12-30-2019 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

To be fair to Peter, the written material and facebook broadcasts do have a well thought-out logical progression, and as for dressing up as Darth Vader, well I think that he was just having fun which is why we play in the first place is it not?

User Info Menu

If we always expect the world (or people) to appear a certain way before we can engage with or learn from it/them, we will be waiting a long time for the opportunity to grow.

Clearly, Peter’s style of teaching does not motivate Gabor to learn or fit his ideas of proper respect for the art of jazz guitar (if I recall correctly, he also considers the music of Pat Metheny a dead end). Fair enough and to each his own.

We could leave it at that and allow those of us who have experienced Peter’s lessons to find fulfillment in them without needing to justify our attention or investment. There is no one way and no one method for everyone. I personally appreciate whatever shortcuts are available. Sometimes my investment has yielded poor returns, other times, lesson material has indeed, proven to be “gold”. I’m happy with the return on my investment with Peter. Criticizing him for the way he presents and markets the fruits of his labor is pointless.

Do your own work and market it it anyway you like. He owes us nothing and it’s clear that the complaining in this thread is only coming from those unwilling to take a chance on investing in Peter’s material, not from those with actual experience.

Does anybody have new opinions on or more experience with the material?

My friend who purchased a book from him said that he was sending out emails saying there will always be a “corona virus in life” and that it shouldn’t stop people from paying for his material... seemed in poor taste to me. Oh and he said a ton of emails over and over again multiple days in a row and sometime several in the same day lol

Also, for what it’s worth, Icheme hasn’t posted since making a post that sounded like a paid testimonial for the “George Benson Method”... perhaps we were right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dioxic

My friend who purchased a book from him said that he was sending out emails saying there will always be a “corona virus in life” and that it shouldn’t stop people from paying for his material... seemed in poor taste to me. Oh and he said a ton of emails over and over again multiple days in a row and sometime several in the same day lol

Also, for what it’s worth, Icheme hasn’t posted since making a post that sounded like a paid testimonial for the “George Benson Method”... perhaps we were right.
    I stand by what i say, and I am not getting paid i repeat. the material is quite complete as far as I have seen so far.
    I got the same emails myself (which I think is annoying).
    but the books are quite complete from what I have seen

guitar is not where I earn my living, I play bass for a living but I started on guitar and love jazz guitar ( WES, GEORGE and JOE , the holy trinity for me).
    as far as paid review, as I told before, I didn't get paid to say what I said, hell, People are making video testimonies for him , I didn't ( and I don't think people got paid for this)
    I am not Peter representative, I took a stand because I thought his lessons are great.
    but if you want to go more, just go and talk to the man, and please don't imply my name on anything thank you

User Info Menu

I "broke" recently and bought his volume 6 since it sounded like it has unique material (although somewhat over-priced); but I don't think I can give an honest review one way or the other since I'm a bit too busy with other material (with other teachers that I'm already getting lessons from and books I'm already working on) at the moment to do it justice. It looks like it's a fairly condensed format i.e. there's a lot packed into those pages.

I got a bunch of those e-mails as well recently - I think I may be on the relevant mailing list due to buying the individual chapter (from a different book) a while ago and possibly due to signing up for Peter Farrell's free "George Benson experience week". Anyway, the coronavirus related paragraph in the relevant e-mail is:

'About the Actual Situation in the World: There will always be a " corona virus" between you and your dreams. One day is a virus, another day you don't have a job anymore, then next week you got sick and have to spend some money with doctors, and so on.....Life is like that !!! So if you really love this method of teaching do not find excuses in order to don't do it.'

That may provide a bit more context; but still not really reflect well on Peter Farrell at all. The e-mails were mostly plugging his package of lessons (on "the George Benson community") rather than the books. It's looking like the books periodically being available for a short time rather than being published and available indefinitely really is going to be the pattern in the future (which I think contradicts something I may have said earlier). (It was observed earlier that that might be a sales tactic.) The rationale is that Peter Farrell provides, I think, is that he wants to be able to support people working through the books after they buy them,

William

Quote Originally Posted by Dioxic

User Info Menu

It appears the books broadly speaking use a downward pickslanting approach with some ascending sweeps but no ascending sweeps (and also a strategy with how the left hand and right hand are coordinated in order to facilitate picking). So I was wondering if the reader had expected strict alternate picking, for example, or if they had found some inconsistency with the stated rules for picking. I haven't properly gone through my volume 6 yet so I was wondering if I could expect to find any errors or anything else that should have been caught by proofreading when I do,

William

User Info Menu

Hi William,

I have volume 6. I am an economy picker so I find different fingerings for large portions of the lines in order to fit what I know (technically). I haven't yet found any musical examples that have mistakes.

Re: mistakes - I think it's always good to consider the source. The guy who made that accusation also made other false claims and bizzaro assumptions about Peter. Aside from that and more important, can the person who wrote that nonsense even play well, or play at all? I think we know that answer.

I would open that book up and start HAVING FUN! If you have any questions about anything in that book DM me and I'll try to help.
    Last edited by Brazenkane; 05-18-2020 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

One thing I must add, I see all the free content Peter put , and the suff he puts on youtube as well.

go see for yourself.

He breaks down everything so that tells a lot about how good he is and about the quality of his teachings.
    And truth is , he's the only one that broke the Benson code up to that level. and that's a fact ( just listen to the guy and Benson himself tells it).

think whatever you want, I know what I think.

User Info Menu

Post deleted
    Last edited by marvinvv; 05-25-2020 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I would love to check out the Peter Farrell books on George Bensen. He's obviously done extensive research and has mastered the technique. I haven't pulled the trigger on this for three reasons;
    1) The cost is prohibitive. I would gladly pay $100, or perhaps even a bit more, for a well laid-out book with a logical pedagogical sequence. But I find the marketing for these books to be confusing and unclear as to what I actually get. Am I just getting a bunch of PDFs I print out myself? Is it a combination of PDFs and videos? and really; $1000?!!!
    2) I am naturally wary about the kind of marketing that tells me there are "secrets" that I can't get anywhere else, and that I must pay dearly for. And then the marketing almost approaches the self-help world; investing in myself, yada yada. Then there's the limited time aspect - the books will never be available again after this date, but then six months later here they are again.
    3) The videos are hard to watch. There's no clear curriculum that I could discern, and I found them to be repetitive. And wear pants in your videos.

I know I'm at risk of sounding snarky, and I don't want these comments to sound like a criticism of Mr. Farrell's musicianship (I think he's an amazing player), or who he is as a person. He seems like a really great guy. And I do believe there would be a lot to glean from his materials. I would love to see his work and to learn from it. So I'm going to make a personal plea to him; Peter, please produce a real book. Take a lot of time to edit and refine your material and then sell it for a reasonable price without all the hype and marketing. You'll reach more people and you'll probably make more money in the long run.

User Info Menu

1) The cost is prohibitive. I would gladly pay $100, or perhaps even a bit more, for a well laid-out book with a logical pedagogical sequence. But I find the marketing for these books to be confusing and unclear as to what I actually get. Am I just getting a bunch of PDFs I print out myself? Is it a combination of PDFs and videos? and really; $1000?!!!

You get pdfs which ARE the books. Saying you're getting a "bunch PDFs" can only be interpreted as though you somehow are deeming them "lesser than." If you have not yet keyed into the year 2020, books aren't what sells anymore. PDFs are cost effective for the author and expeditious for the consumer. You can like them, or not, but to make them sound like a) they are somehow lesser than and b) not worth the money is an indicator you don't understand the amount of time and sheer sacrifice the author went through to compile and compose them. It's your choice to pay the money or not and sure, you can have an opinion. That's your perrogative.

2) I am naturally wary about the kind of marketing that tells me there are "secrets" that I can't get anywhere else, and that I must pay dearly for. And then the marketing almost approaches the self-help world; investing in myself, yada yada. Then there's the limited time aspect - the books will never be available again after this date, but then six months later here they are again.

You can't get Peter's method anywhere else. That's the truth. Yes. You have to pay dearly for them. Why? Look up the interview with Peter on YT. The guy gave his life to following and studying with GB and THEN codifying what he learned. YOU might think that's worth $100, but the man has a right to charge whatever he feels necessary to cover all that he spent (including time) putting together that method.

3) The videos are hard to watch. There's no clear curriculum that I could discern, and I found them to be repetitive. And wear pants in your videos.

Ok, so now you're a fashion consultant?

"Peter, please produce a real book."

Again, it's 2020. Get a grip. It's PDFs, self publishing and Kindles.

"Take a lot of time to edit and refine your material and then sell it for a reasonable price without all the hype and marketing."

So now there's something wrong with marketing a product and hyping it for the marketplace so you can make a living and provide for your family?

"You'll reach more people and you'll probably make more money in the long run.[/QUOTE]"

Peter is not interested in YOUR idea of marketing, e.g. "reaching more people." Peter markets to people to value the time and sacrifice he's made in order to produce the GB method. He wants and HAS many faithful repeat customers. Also, I'd bet you $10 that if his pdf was $10, you'd look through it once and open maybe one more time. It's been proven that when consumers pay a premium the respect the product....and USE IT.

Before you or anyone accuses me of "being Peter," Peter doesn't speak English this well. I'm neither him, nor his rep. I just know what's up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brazenkane
    Also, I'd bet you $10 that if his pdf was $10, you'd look through it once and open maybe one more time. It's been proven that when consumers pay a premium the respect the product....and USE IT.
    but do you respect wood?