User Info Menu

I bought the Savoy Records set of live Bird broadcasts (mostly Royal Roost airchecks) back when it came out 20 years ago, and eventually I made my way to the handful of tracks on Disc 4 that were taken from a gig at Chicago's Pershing Hotel in 1950.

Guitarist George Freeman (brother of Von, uncle of Chico) is in the band, and he takes a solo on "Keen and Peachy" that reminds me of "Power Tools"-era Bill Frisell. Lots of little clumps of notes separated by thoughtful pauses. (I guess Paul Bley kind of does this too.) For 1950, it strikes me as a bit far out, but then again, Chicago at this time did have Sun Ra and lots of blues guys who were playing raw stuff. He starts his solo around 2:47, and it's definitely rooted in the rhythms of bop, but by 4:17 he's getting pretty abstract, and he wraps it around 5:05. You can hear the crowd having a good time reacting to his stuff. I'm not sure he was taking it 100% seriously, but it wasn't a complete lark.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

great stuff..too bad the recording is poor..you cant hear the group interaction..except for the drummer droppin those bombs!! hah

quite a solo..roots of pete cosey!! & he (cosey) replaced frisell in power tools!

cheers

ps- george freeman is still with us @ 92!
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-20-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Wow. What a blast.

Thank you for posting this.

User Info Menu

Wow. That's way past anything one would call traditional bebop! He also seems to "ride" the natural distortion of the amp, almost like he has a compressor or something. Really plays the amp as well as the guitar.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town