The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I heard that yesterday, and it blew me away. I don't count myself a Metheney follower, but that is amazing. It's a whole ensemble thing, rather than a vehicle for guitar shredding.

User Info Menu

Anybody have the TAB for that?

User Info Menu

That sounds great and reminds me why I have liked Metheny so much over the last 3 decades.

Nice explanation of where he was going with this:

Pat Metheny : News: NEW ALBUM FROM THIS PLACE DUE OUT FEB 21st.

User Info Menu

He does seem enthusiastic! I like the way he talks about his fellow musicians, and how he has been influenced by Miles as regards presenting new scores to his band members in the studio.

User Info Menu

Nice composition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    He does seem enthusiastic! I like the way he talks about his fellow musicians, and how he has been influenced by Miles as regards presenting new scores to his band members in the studio.
    I think that aspect of Miles as a bandleader has to be seen as one of the keys to his genius--make the musicians get out of their comfort zone. That's when the magic happens.

Dylan did the same thing. Would deliberately play songs in a different key, etc., than on the score. That was his MO during the middle period when he was most productive in the late 60's-late 70's.

User Info Menu

Very cool piece of music.

I'm a little concerned that whatever specific frequency Pat's going for in his tone these days is reflecting some hearing damage on my part, because I can honestly barely hear him.

User Info Menu

Unless I too have the same hearing damage, I would say that he's very low in the mix. It's extremely piano/bass dominant, with the guitar laying way below.

That being said, it's a really great composition. I'm not a big Pat fan so I don't know his discog very well but this stuff sounds very much in the realm of what speaks to me, minus what I consider over-instrumentation. I like the textures/colors but I prefer more intimacy and room for improv in the accompaniment. The strings are somewhat suffocating IMO.

User Info Menu

Seems like two compositions to me. First part with solos, second orchestral.

User Info Menu

Metheny is sooooo hit or miss for me. But I really, really like this track.

User Info Menu

The woodwinds answer best they can, but they don't know what the answer really is. They give a fake answer and the trumpet doesn't understand because it's almost like they've been raised to give an answer so derivative and they have no free thought. The woodwinds are getting so fed up with the trumpet asking the same question over and over again that they're getting louder and angrier, and as time strolls along, they end up never having an answer at all and the trumpet is left to simmer in its own thoughts.

User Info Menu

maybe the answer is in the question

User Info Menu

and it blew me away
    me too Rob....this scene here at the lake and meeting his father same too..

User Info Menu

Ah, Andrei Tarkovsky - a genius. Understood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    The woodwinds answer best they can, but they don't know what the answer really is. They give a fake answer and the trumpet doesn't understand because it's almost like they've been raised to give an answer so derivative and they have no free thought. The woodwinds are getting so fed up with the trumpet asking the same question over and over again that they're getting louder and angrier, and as time strolls along, they end up never having an answer at all and the trumpet is left to simmer in its own thoughts.
    I came here to listen to some jazz and *snat* my fingers and now I'm questioning the reason for my existence.

User Info Menu

Metheny next does the Big Bang......i wish

User Info Menu

Another release from the new album

User Info Menu

I listened to an interview with Gil Goldstein and apparently he's done some arranging for this and also mentioned it was kinda the next phase to "Secret Story", which was my first or second Pat record and a really amazing introduction to his sound world. Can't wait to hear the full thing!