The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

Apologies if this has been posted already.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

haha -- that's some great stuff Rob!

User Info Menu

Wowza! Cros tells a story well, doesn't he?

I'd like to see that movie.

User Info Menu

his brains flowing out of his nose?
    put down the pipe David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    his brains flowing out of his nose?
    put down the pipe David

lol, don't hold your breath.

User Info Menu

crosby was a known coltrane advocate early on..the byrds managers ran world pacific records...they had ravi shankar and jazz acts on the label....when the byrds first toured, mcguinn rigged up an early cassette player to an amp..and they blasted trane and ravi shankar for the whole tour ride...tranes track india with eric dolphy is the genesis of the byrds eight miles high...the lead line is from trane!..and the solo was mcguinns attempt at playin like trane (and crosbys imitation ^ hah) on an electric 12 string guitar

hope to see that crosby docu-bio in next few days..been lookin forward to it

i've also heard stories of trane continuing to play while offstage before..so hes tellin true stories

say what you will about him, crosbys been around some major scenes...

and im sure elvin was higher than he was!!!

cheers

ps- also notice when crosby recreates scene ^...hes miming playin' a straight horn..ala coltranes soprano!!!
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-11-2019 at 09:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Great post, neatomic. New info in there for me.

User Info Menu

just funnin' around neatomic

User Info Menu

Nice to see the video.

David Crosby has his issues, but he has always been very intelligent, a great singer and a great songsmith.

One of my absolute favorite songs is Guinevere, both the song recorded by CSNY and the version recorded by Miles Davis. It sure sounds influenced by the modal jazz of the 60's.

User Info Menu

I didn't know Miles had recorded Guinevere. Thanks, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Miles’ version is quite faithful to the original. I had the Miles recording long before I heard the CSN one as it happens.

User Info Menu

miles was also instrumental in getting the byrds signed to columbia!! he knew crosby and management..and put in a call to give them an audition session!

crosby has always used strange tunings...not your average g or d tunings...but his own made up ones...he was definitely inspired by modal jazz, indian music & drones in general

cheers

joelf Guest
    Don't wanna be the wet blanket here. I really enjoy Crosby's writing----someone mentioned Guinevere and I think it masterful.

I was AT Woodstock----I preface my comments on Mr. Crosby et al by saying that b/c it ties in w/my main point. A lot of the '60s rockers talk a good game about Trane and Miles, etc----but they never put in the work those guys did. And I don't mean Garcia or Santana.

The reason I broach Woodstock and that I was there? Yeah, I was there and 15 and stoned!!

WXPN, a local Philly station, in August played the Woodstock music as it went down. Butterfield/Buzzy---killin'; Canned Heat as I remembered; Sly Stone for sure---Santana sounded like talented kids (not a bad thing). But a lot of the one-chord jams by many bands professing a Trane influence were painfully out of tune and, well, painful.

Do I blame Coltrane for this? Hell no, not any more than I'd blame his 'disciples' who play long, boring solos w/o putting in the time he did studying the masters and playing standards. At least they can PLAY, though.

The End...

User Info Menu

Joe, nobody put in the work Trane did...Crosby was in another world, but he recognised genius when he saw it.

When I was 15 I had a book of David Crosby's music, with all the weird tunings he used. I was too young to figure it all out, but I was impressed with his quasi-impressionist harmonic language in what was loosely labelled as folk rock. A most underrated guitarist in my opinion, but far from in the traditional soloist sense. He contributed to the background vibe.

PS Enjoying the Miles version of Guinevere!

User Info Menu

yes rob...same can be said for his vocal talents..may not be the strongest lead vocal..but as a harmony vocalist, one of the all time best in the rock field...in byrds, clark and mcguinn would sing unison, leaving crosby to harmonize the high lines without regard to strict intervals...he'd go where the spirit took him..and many times his high parts are better than the melody line...

up there with art garfunkel for high harmony voices

cheers

User Info Menu

I remember Cros' altered tunings.

Are we certain that they weren't really Joni Mitchell's tunings? (due to polio?)

User Info Menu

crosbys tuning for guinnevere is E-B-D-G-A-D (low to high) also used on deja vu

he and young joni mitchell were romantically involved after he was already successful..but he claims her tunings were already fully formed before they met...no doubt they influenced each other

crosby was also a huge influence on michael hedges

his fave trick was to have his acoustics made or modded with 12th fret neck joints

cheers

User Info Menu

...and he still hasn't cut his hair

User Info Menu

I watched the movie a few days ago. What amazed me was how good he sounds after all that... um... livin'.

User Info Menu

David shouldn’t be underestimated...

User Info Menu

^^^ Croz's son James on piano.

User Info Menu

Great video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Great video.
    Absolutely! But what a difficult personality. He had conflicts with nearly everyone, including his long-term best friend Graham Nash. Can you imagine? I have always had weak spot for Graham Nash since he was a member of the Hollies and later seeing his fabulous photography exhibition "The Graham Nash Collection".

User Info Menu

Beautiful yeah ........
    (the vid)

his is son plays a great solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll

David shouldn’t be underestimated...

Really liked his old scat singing, but god he was "pitchy" as hell there, couldn't finish listening.