The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Rancor? There's no rancor, ony truth tellin'.

But ya know, in fairness to David, it seems to me that Nash is always PO'd about something. Quick to be offended. Granted, David is a pop-off big-mouth oaf, but he's not quite so highly strung as Graham.

Round and round they go (and have always gone), while Stills and Young (especially Stills) remain fairly quiet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    Crosby can be a great performer as well as songwriter. That Trane did a glorious job on one of Crosby's best tunes is a joy.

And that to me is what lasts ... the music that Trane made from Crosby's song. And it is wondrously enough.
    Trane died in '67. I don't think he ever performed any Crosby songs. Maybe you're thinking of Miles performing Guinevere?

I saw the docu Echoes of the Canyon last night. Well done, I was very impressed with Jakob Dylan and his performances (along with Fiona Apple, Beck, etc.) of the music of the 60's. There were some extensive interviews with CSNY and Jackson Browne, among others. Crosby sounds very intelligent. It's amazing his liver (and he) are still around. He looks older than dirt though. Stephen Stills didn't sound very healthy, like COPD mighta caught up with him.

I have heard and read some thoughts that the main recent split in CSNY came from Young's relationship with Daryl Hannah, for whom Neil left his wife of 34 years, Pegi, who was a stalwart of the SF area community. Hannah had famously accused Jackson Browne of abuse (perhaps wrongly and maliciously). My take on it is that Cos was always very good friends with JB and resented Young allowing Hannah into their circle. Nash (and maybe to a lesser extent Stills) took Young/Hannah's side, and there you have an irreconcilable issue.

This is all gossip and speculation of course, but that's part of the fascination with artists--their gifts and their flaws writ large.

User Info Menu

Correct of course, I mis-typed.

Crosby pissed at Young's dumping his wife of 30 or so years ... after all Crosby's "relations" ... right.

Then Nash dumping his wife and ticked at Crosby's comments about Young dumping his.

Lovely personal behaviors there ... no, I might not feel good about their characters. Still ... I will enjoy the music they made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Apologies if this has been posted already.

Now we all know what an epiphany of an idiot sounds like . . . sorry, Trane. R.I.P. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, nobody put in the work Trane did..
    He was totally obsessed, and constantly practicing and playing, everywhere, all the time.

User Info Menu

I heard an awesome version of Deja Vu on the radio--I think it was from Crosby and Nash's 1977 live album. The band on that recording was killer:

Crosby–Nash Live - Wikipedia

I can't find a link to it on YouTube, but check it out on Apple Tunes or Spotify. It starts out like a modal jazz song, in fact VERY reminiscent of Miles' recordings like Guinevere. The vocals actually are only pretty good, not awesome, but the bandwork is outstanding. It shows what great songwriters they were at their peak and what can be done with their songs, as well as how they were in fact quite influenced by the jazz of the 60's and 70's.