The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Sure, but give the guy a break. He's beyond his best, but he's earned the right to be a little "pitchy".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has Crosby done anything remotely relevant since CSN&Y? That's a 49 year gap to live on just a reputation, and a bad one at that.

User Info Menu

Tough crowd!

User Info Menu

I do not get it. Was Trane really in that toilet, or Crosby was just trippin'?
    If Trane really was there, why was he and what was he trying to achieve?
    I mean, what job one could possibly finish, in toilette, while playing sax?
    Even if not playing, with sax hanging of his neck?
    Maybe Trane was just wondering around club, scaring and annoying people with those squeaking sounds?

... Ha, there's someone ... take this MF ... Sqeeeaak!!! ... Lets's see. is there someone in toilet ... BAM!!! SQUEEEAAAAK!!!! ... next time you will think twice before going to piss ...

User Info Menu

Trane was notorious for practicing on breaks, so the bathroom was probably the only place he could shed when he was off the bandstand.

User Info Menu

I remember reading a biography of Trane some 40 years ago, which also mentioned his leaving the bandstand while still playing and go into the men's room. I'll give Crosby the benefit of the doubt.

User Info Menu

elvin was taking his solo drum feature of the set....(which could go on for a bit)...trane walks off stage (as musicians often did) ...but still has the fire to play..but it ain't an elvin solo if tranes playing along..so he went somewhere where he could continue blowin' w/o upstaging elvins solo..

not a difficult premise..and he was known to do it often....

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-14-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: sp-

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, nobody put in the work Trane did...Crosby was in another world, but he recognised genius when he saw it.

When I was 15 I had a book of David Crosby's music, with all the weird tunings he used. I was too young to figure it all out, but I was impressed with his quasi-impressionist harmonic language in what was loosely labelled as folk rock. A most underrated guitarist in my opinion, but far from in the traditional soloist sense. He contributed to the background vibe.

PS Enjoying the Miles version of Guinevere!
    I wasn't faulting Crosby---and I love that he (and Joni Mitchell) did those freaky tunings and chords.

I was commenting on how much of the other music just doesn't hold up. Like I said I was there, and it was exciting at 15----hell, I almost got laid (LOL). But outside of John Sebastian, Sly, Canned Heat, Butterfield and a few others a lot of the music and musicians were truly awful---hearing it 50 years down the road. Janis IMO is unlistenable, her band was alright. I never heard anything in Grace Slick, but she had her fans and that's cool. But those one-chord out-of-tune-and-ideas jams by group after group----forget it. I mean I was a rocker and blueser and these people were my world at 15, you know? Of course Hendrix holds up, and actually had the most in common with Trane as far as innovating on an instrument. And Buzzy Feiten was, is, and will die a badass.

It was the times: sex, drugs and rock and roll. Sure glad I grew up and away from THAT. Blues, any day; James Brown---the great black musics (that the white groups---not C,S&N---were ripping off anyway) any day and I bow deeply.

But that other schnizzle----never touch the stuff...

(And I'm sure you meant Joel)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Has Crosby done anything remotely relevant since CSN&Y? That's a 49 year gap to live on just a reputation, and a bad one at that.
    He was always the weakest link in terms of songwriting compared to the other three, who were quite strong. But his voice worked well with the group, they needed him for that. And he could play rhythm guitar OK while Stills and Young jammed.

User Info Menu

he tells coltrane stories better than stills, young and nash tho..so there!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

I can't agree. I found it to be irritating with his shouting, animated and exaggerated gestures, and crazy homeless man style of imitation of Coltrane's aggressive playing.

One thing I will say for him, he works pretty hard to try to keep himself relevant by constantly recycling his memoirs, first in print and now in film. I read his book, I'll skip this film.

User Info Menu

yes i think your distaste for crosby is evident to everyone by now..so move on..why continue p...ing all over robs well intentioned post!!!...

would you be happier if he never posted anything again???

i wouldnt!!!

take it easy my beautiful jazzguitar forum friend...we have diverse tastes but lets try to keep it friendly....or at least civil

theres an old adage..if you have nothing good to say, dont say it

cheers

User Info Menu

OK so you're a fan. I used to be. But what are you even talking about? I am civil, Crosby isn't. And critical commentary of historical figures is fair game.

Crosby's "best friends" won't even speak to him, and I'm guessing you know that, and why it is so. What do they say about him, and in public? Are you ordering them to silence as well?

But did I bring any of that up before now? No. Thanks for the nudge.

Crosby is a has been. He can't sell music so he sells sensationalism through his full throttle memoirs. His story is that he screwed up his own life, spent all his money on drugs, carried a loaded .45 in a Dallas bar, assaulted a woman, went to prison, got a new liver, alienated all of his old friends and on and on. And it's nice that he is playing music with his son. A son that he didn't even know existed until he was an adult. His whole story is a train wreck and a self-inflicted one to boot. And yet his public criticism of others continues. I have followed Crosby off and on since 1971. He has always been a very, very self centered person. It's in his songs. It's in this movie - "Remember My Name". Really? Is he asking us or telling us? We'll decide if we will remember his name, and what for. The self-important gall of the man never ceases.

BTW - the above is based on what David wants me to know about himself, as he peddles his books and movie to me, and you, and everyone else. For the price of admission, of course.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 11-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

BTW - this has nothing to do with Rob. Rob - if you dig Crosby's music that's cool. I have actually performed some of it in public (cringe worthy I'll admit).

So - what does his closest pal think? lol

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    He was always the weakest link in terms of songwriting compared to the other three, who were quite strong.
    Disagree strongly. He's as good a writer as any I've heard in his field.

Do you write? Just curious...

joelf Guest
    OK so you're a fan. I used to be. But what are you even talking about? I am civil, Crosby isn't. And critical commentary of historical figures is fair game.

Crosby's "best friends" won't even speak to him, and I'm guessing you know that, and why it is so. What do they say about him, and in public? Are you ordering them to silence as well?

But did I bring any of that up before now? No. Thanks for the nudge.

Crosby is a has been. He can't sell music so he sells sensationalism through his full throttle memoirs. His story is that he screwed up his own life, spent all his money on drugs, carried a loaded .45 in a Dallas bar, assaulted a woman, went to prison, got a new liver, alienated all of his old friends and on and on. And it's nice that he is playing music with his son. A son that he didn't even know existed until he was an adult. His whole story is a train wreck and a self-inflicted one to boot. And yet his public criticism of others continues. I have followed Crosby off and on since 1971. He has always been a very, very self centered person. It's in his songs. It's in this move "Remember My Name". Really? Is he asking us or telling us? We'll decide if we will remember his name, and what for. The self-important gall of the man never ceases.

BTW - the above is based on what David wants me to know about himself, as he peddles his books and movie to me, and you, and everyone else. For the price of admission, of course.
    Man, who are you and what do you DO to be talking all that shit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Man, who are you and what do you DO to be talking all that shit?
    I already explained. This is the story that David is telling and selling about himself. Read his books. Watch his movie.

He's selling a hippie era, hippie life tragedy. It works. Nostalgia sells. Tragedy sells. It always has. Just ask the Met Opera.

One might say - Fat Albert is getting getting kind of old and weird now. You know he's crazy but he ain't real dumb. Oh no.

joelf Guest
    I already explained. This is the story that David is telling and selling about himself. Read his books. Watch his movie.

He's selling a hippie era, hippie life tragedy. It works. Nostalgia sells. Tragedy sells. It always has. Just ask the Met Opera.

One might say - Fat Albert is getting getting kind of old and weird now. You know he's crazy but he ain't real dumb. Oh no.
    Great answer about who you are and what you do.

Right. To. Ignore.

User Info Menu

JoelF - You're getting yourself all worked up over nothing. By the way, did you catch the song reference in my previous post? A coool, baaaaaad song, man. Guessing not. I really liked that song when I was 14. Oh well.

This is not about me but I was a huge fan of CSNY when I was in eighth grade. To me Crosby seemed like the coolest of the four, as I was an impressionable 13 year-old. Perhaps that was because he was the only American, an LA boy, but I didn't know all of that then. I liked his critically acclaimed solo album "If I could Only Remember My Name". (hence the title to his latest memoir movie). My introduction to them was Four Way Street. The band had already broken up but I didn't care. It was a perfect Vietnam War era hippie album. I mean perfect. Telling us all how to live and think, David's songs about sailing and threesomes, etc.

CSNY history? Their story is well known by now. Drugs, fights, fights over women, break-ups and reunions. Making Joni Mitchell stay home instead of going to Woodstock, then she writes an imaginary tale about it and THEY make it famous. Reunions in the 70s with stories of David taking up Kung-Fu in order to lose weight, lol. Later stories of Crosby going off the deep end with only a piano left in his mansion, because the rest had gone up his nose. Then it kept going and going until the addict with the Colt .45 in the Dallas bar assaulting a woman and off to prison chapter. I remember it well, as I lived in Dallas at the time. This whole "rest of he band not talking to David" thing has more than one iteration. It's all old news by now. The smartest and coolest guys in the room didn't exactly live like it.

User Info Menu

Bowl of cereal, pissed in? Check!

User Info Menu

And I thought my original post was about Trane...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    And I thought my original post was about Trane...
    Don't you ever ask them why,
    If they told you, you will cry,
    So just look at them and sigh

User Info Menu

Realistically whether it's Trane or Joe Pass or any of CSNY ... or so many other famous musicians ... the creators of that music we love aren't always someone that's solid and nice.

Though Pass did an amazing job of coming through the addiction to regain a good life.

I still love the music.

Read a piece online by a guy who lived and worked as a young dude near corner of Height and Asbury in the mid 60's. To get free rent he either "managed" or was repair guy, something like that, at an apartment building right "there".

Over the course of a few years, he met most of the "names" of the SF "love" culture as they either stayed in or visited someone in his old building.

He wasn't impressed. For all the talk of love and gentleness most of the guys (and he named a lot of names) were really into their own genitalia more than anything else, followed by (preferably) free drugs and booze and then music.

So it was ok for them mostly ... but the gals were just used and tossed off. So much for "all you need is love". Frequently pregnant and/or addicted to various substances and SOOOO yesterday like, "don't come around here with your sh** no more babe ... Life moves on".

Or as Nash says in that interview, "I've always followed my heart." Right. Tends to leave mangled people in your wake but whatever.

The young dudes coming from all over the world to SF could get "admittance" by donating drugs and booze or paying the rent on an apartment. As soon as their money or generosity ran out, they were history also.

So the '68 Summer of Love was, for that guy who lived there, an amazing time to live through, incredible memories of Major People close at hand ... and very few people he would ever want as friends.

I've a major operatic bass/baritone friend, has performed as a lead character with from Pavarotti and Domingo through current times. Over 200 performances at the Met alone.

He says that the operatic world is by its physically demanding nature a bit different as you simply can't abuse drugs and booze and get on stage and keep producing the needed sound.

So not nearly the "sex drugs and rock and roll" of pop music. But are the people any better humans? They're just ... humans. With all the warts that entails. Some very nice ones. Some his agent is instructed to prefer to avoid if possible for bookings. A very few ... simply ... no.

It seems to me those driven by something internal hard enough to develop the tools to really stand apart from others ... often have as many if not more ails than anyone else. But maybe get more freedom to indulge that side, and at times even encouragement to do so.

And therein lies Tragedy. The stories that drive Grand Opera. Humans being all too human.

Which is why celebrating the best that can be created is good. All good things come from flawed humans. I love me some Trane, the harmonies of CSNY, Wes, so many others.

I'm grateful that Pass got past his addiction as without that we wouldn't have all those records.

We saw CSN on the last tour before Crosby spent months courtesy the State of Texas.

And again on the following tour.

The earlier one Crosby was there but not ... rocking it. The second, oh my ... a straight Crosby was an amazing performer on stage. Vastly different.

I remember those performances with joy. For all their glories and sins, I don't think I'd actually want any of the four CSNY as a neighbor.

Crosby can be a great performer as well as songwriter. That Trane did a glorious job on one of Crosby's best tunes is a joy.

And that to me is what lasts ... the music that Trane made from Crosby's song. And it is wondrously enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Don't you ever ask them why,
    If they told you, you will cry,
    So just look at them and sigh
    Yep. A Nash song. Probably their most iconic, over the course of history.

User Info Menu

Given some of the rancor on display here, I have to think Mr. Crosby would feel right at home!