The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87

User Info Menu

Just winding up now but you can watch it on YouTube.
    Tim --a member here!-- discusses his first TrueFire course: Solo Jazz Pathways.

25% discount for pre-orders today (and maybe tomorrow too). I placed my order. Tim is a great one and a genuinely good guy who is also a fantastic teacher----the trifecta!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A few samples of Tim's work, for those who are unfamiliar with it. (Not from the TrueFire course.)

User Info Menu

Awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Awesome
    According to the interview, Tim is going to do some blues courses too. He started out playing in R&B bands and then got a lot of blues gigs. He developed his solo jazz guitar style later. His blues chops are excellent.

User Info Menu

I really love Tim's take on Percy Mayfield's "Lost Mind Blues".

User Info Menu

Love Tim's playing, about time Truefire.

User Info Menu

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!! Tim has become one of my favorite players - his shouldering of the Ted Greene/Lenny Breau approach with a healthy dose of blues and taking it forward and making it his own is inspired.

Will

User Info Menu

Tim doing a Ted Greene blues study that is on my daily practise roster

Will

User Info Menu

Was a great TrueFire live session..I rewound quite a few times. I ordered the course (with the discount) and anxiously await its release.

That part where Tim moves the mb5 chord up a minor third to get the V and then up another major third to get the i was cool.

User Info Menu

Agree with alltunes. It's a great YouTube session. Thanks MarkRhodes for bringing it to our attention! I ordered the course too and look forward to working with it! (Congrats Tim -- You the man!)

User Info Menu

I'm in. I didn't catch the release date, is there one planned or is it simply asap?

Tim's love of music, the guitar, and his joyful enthusiasm is... well, infectious is the word that comes to mind.

User Info Menu

I'm in as well, all signed up and pre-ordered.

I love Tim's playing, and have been working on some Ted Greene solo guitar tunes recently.

If this course gets me 10% there I will be very happy.

Andyb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Love Tim's playing, about time Truefire.
    In the interview, TrueFire was interested in Tim long ago but the timing wasn't right.
    I hope he does a lot of material for them.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that. I swore I wasn't going to buy anymore courses, but I bit the bullet and pre-ordered this one. 4.5 hours of lessons from Tim Lerch for $21 (with discount). How could I resist?

User Info Menu

Can anyone confirm that the discount code still works today? If so, can you please share the discount code? I'd like to purchase the course. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I pre-ordered it. I love chord-melody but I'm so bad at it. I'm sure I'll get a lot out of this lesson. I have some Ted Greene lessons printed out and sitting on my music stand, but they can be daunting and hard to digest just off the paper.

My teacher just had me do a chord-melody of a christmas tune. It was fun, but that was a pretty basic song, and the arrangement I came up with was nothing to write home about. But it's satisfying to be able to play a 'complete' tune by yourself...I imagine even cooler to improvise that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I'm in. I didn't catch the release date, is there one planned or is it simply asap?
    I emailed Tim about this and he wrote me back. He doesn't know the official release date. He had thought it would be before Christmas but it seems that Brad (Carlton) is real excited about this project and is shooting to move up the release date to "as soon as possible."

When Tim knows more, he'll let us know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregMath
    Can anyone confirm that the discount code still works today? If so, can you please share the discount code? I'd like to purchase the course. Thanks!
    i purchased today. Just hit the link from the teaser video - I couldn't find it by going to their website. The discount code is there as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregMath
    "LERCHLIVE" is the discount code in case you couldn't find it elsewhere. It's supposed to be good for 48 hours from yesterday afternoon (5 Nov).

User Info Menu

Well, I ordered it with the discount, and got a receipt from PayPal. But when I returned to the site to look for something else, Tim's course is still showing to be paid in my Basket. I've written to TrueFire to get them to sort it out. This is really boring for you to read, of course. I only mention it in case someone else has the same issue.

I remember having a duo with a singer doing the Great American Songbook stuff. I was absolutely fine accompanying her with walking basses, chord stabs, inversions, passing chords, etc. But when it came to solo, I found myself doing the same thing while trying to add some kind of melodic interest on top. It never came out to my satisfaction, and I quickly mastered a few cliches, which I trotted out all the time. It very quickly became really boring! It's hard to turn from accompanist to soloist when you are the sole player. I hope Tim's course will give me some fresh ideas. The price is ridiculously low.

I hope it's a great success for you, Tim!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Looking forward to this one .. Hope it's not too dumbed down and simple, which always is a danger with truefire courses.
    The few I have seen do move too slowly and often start off at a much too basic level, I agree. Tim did suggest that his course is comprised of multilevel content and pointed out that the fast-forward button is at your disposal. So, fingers crossed.

I do expect to come away with fresh ideas and perspectives. It's always worthwhile to listen to a player like Tim talk about what he's thinking when he plays. Can't wait!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Looking forward to this one .. Hope it's not too dumbed down and simple, which always is a danger with truefire courses.
    That issue was raised during the interview. I think it's 4 hours worth of material. It begins, IIRC, with handling ii-Vs. If you already have that down, you can go to the next section.

One of the things Tim mentioned is the subject of one of his Mike's Master Classes lesson on two-note accompaniment, where you voice the 3rd and 7th of chords on (when possible) the A and D strings (or D and G) so that you have a lot room on higher strings for melody and improv. Tim does that a lot and it sounds really good.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I am just getting home from Florida and reading this thread. Thank you all for your interest in what i"m doing at TrueFire. Not sure yet what the release date will be I'll post here when I know more. There is a lot of material in this course to be transcribed so hopefully that doesn't slow things down too much.
    I appreciate this group and your enthusiasm for what I'm doing.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hi Guys,
    I am just getting home from Florida and reading this thread. Thank you all for your interest in what i"m doing at TrueFire. Not sure yet what the release date will be I'll post here when I know more. There is a lot of material in this course to be transcribed so hopefully that doesn't slow things down too much.
    I appreciate this group and your enthusiasm for what I'm doing.
    all the best
    Tim
    We appreciate you, Tim! So glad you're here.

User Info Menu

Tim, you said you knew a "trick" about chord chemistry, but the dude didn't let you get to it. What were you going to say?