The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post about this and Tim, thanks for taking time to prepare this course! Signing up was a no brainer. I mostly play lap steel these days but lots of this info will cross pollinate. - Andy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Tim, you said you knew a "trick" about chord chemistry, but the dude didn't let you get to it. What were you going to say?
    So glad you asked that! I heard Tim mention that---a trick to learning from the book "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene---but he never got around to saying what the trick was! I've written to the support staff at the Ted Greene site (tedgreene.com) to ask if anyone there knows. I'll get back here with whatever I find out.

User Info Menu

Tim wrote this in the youtube comments:

Thanks for tuning in guys, it was really fun to do this. many have asked me what the Chord Chemistry secret is. The Chord Chemistry tip is that the first many chapters are a "chord dictionary " and can be very overwhelming to look at and most folks might not look at the chapters later in the book that have lots of great info about what to do with those chord shapes, be sure to look closely at the later chapters!

User Info Menu

For anyone who missed the preorder discount deadline, you can also get a 25% discount on the first purchase when you sign up for the free Truefire 30 day trial.

User Info Menu

Whatever Tim plays - an excersise, an arrangement, a solo - I always feel like coming home.
    For me gis playng is more than Chord chemistry, Ted Green's heritage and playing solo guitar style... first of all it is ver authentic intimate phrasing, natural gift of story-telling through playing, and never-ending humanity, personal presence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

I remember having a duo with a singer doing the Great American Songbook stuff. I was absolutely fine accompanying her with walking basses, chord stabs, inversions, passing chords, etc. But when it came to solo, I found myself doing the same thing while trying to add some kind of melodic interest on top. It never came out to my satisfaction, and I quickly mastered a few cliches, which I trotted out all the time. It very quickly became really boring! It's hard to turn from accompanist to soloist when you are the sole player. I hope Tim's course will give me some fresh ideas

I can so relate to this. It seems to be a high art to be able pull of a decent solo without an accompanist - without it sounding like the accompaniment is faultering, or if you keep the accompaniment strong then your options for soloing are too limited.

I'm hoping to get some more ideas along the lines of how to better hold a bar and use the free fingers to grab melodies and riffs - the sort of thing where you can maintain strong accompaniment and melodic ideas.
    Last edited by dmorash; 11-08-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Oh man, I am so excited to dig into this course.

User Info Menu

I just - like 10 minutes ago - preordered his course. I am really looking forward to it!

Everything I have ever seen of Tim’s is so excellent!

User Info Menu

Does anybody have any news on release date? Anxiously awaiting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Does anybody have any news on release date? Anxiously awaiting.
    Same here! I had thought it was going to be out by Christmas... Not Tim's doing, of course. The release date is not under his control.

User Info Menu

When I inquired about this a month ago (because I preordered the course and it wasn’t and still hasn’t shown up in My Courses) I was told the release date will be in March. FWIW.

User Info Menu

March????? Gosh, that’s a long way away!!! Didn’t TrueFire get overexcited about prereleasing the course so early?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHintz
    When I inquired about this a month ago (because I preordered the course and it wasn’t and still hasn’t shown up in My Courses) I was told the release date will be in March. FWIW.
    Wow, that's a bummer. I'm sure Truefire wants to release a high quality product, but 4 months to transcribe and edit this? Maybe there's more to the process than I realize. In any case, I think Truefire jumped the gun on making it available for pre-order so soon.

User Info Menu

O, my! That's a disappointment.

Meanwhile, I put a few bucks in the tip jar at Tim's website (timlerch.com) and got some PDFs to keep me busy into the New Year. His series for "Guitar Techniques" magazine pn Jazz Blues might be of interest to those awaiting the TrueFire course.

Here's the YouTube videos.

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

User Info Menu

Thats a shame, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I also contacted Tim directly. Asking which of his arrangements would work with the course when it comes out, he recommended "Time After Time". I made a donation and promptly received the arrangement.

I would be happy to work through it as a group?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thats a shame, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I also contacted Tim directly. Asking which of his arrangements would work with the course when it comes out, he recommended "Time After Time". I made a donation and promptly received the arrangement.

Tim responds promptly, doesn't he? He's great like that. (And of course as a player and teacher.) I have the PDF for this but have not yet worked on it. I also have his "Sweet Lorraine" PDF. (There's a 30-minute YouTube video on that, a lesson in walking bass for a mid-tempo Swing tune, both four-to-the-bar and in a two-feel. Great stuff.)

I'm currently working on the Patterns for Jazz project and, more recently, the Garrison Fewell study group. This might be too much for me take on right now. But if interest arises, I'll see if I can bring up the rear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Sounds interesting to me.

The delay in the Truefire release is not an issue for me. Tim has been most generous with his YouTube posts and there's plenty of existing material to work on. Dropping something in his tip jar is an easy way to say thanks and encourage more!

Maybe I'm grateful for the delay. A couple of new musical challenges showed up for Christmas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Tim responds promptly, doesn't he? He's great like that. (And of course as a player and teacher.) I have the PDF for this but have not yet worked on it. I also have his "Sweet Lorraine" PDF. (There's a 30-minute YouTube video on that, a lesson in walking bass for a mid-tempo Swing tune, both four-to-the-bar and in a two-feel. Great stuff.)

I'm currently working on the Patterns for Jazz project and, more recently, the Garrison Fewell study group. This might be too much for me take on right now. But if interest arises, I'll see if I can bring up the rear.
    Hi Mark, yes Tim was great to deal with. Should we check with him before starting a study group though? and also get some idea of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Sounds interesting to me.

The delay in the Truefire release is not an issue for me. Tim has been most generous with his YouTube posts and there's plenty of existing material to work on. Dropping something in his tip jar is an easy way to say thanks and encourage more!

Maybe I'm grateful for the delay. A couple of new musical challenges showed up for Christmas.

Hi Michael, it would be great to have you onboard.

If anyone else is interested in going through Tims version of "Time After Time" as a study group, starting in the new year. Let us know and if there is enough interest we can move things forward.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, have fun with a group looking into Time After Time. and feel free to let me know about it I'd be happy to chime in if the need arises.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Really like your playing Tim. Wish I was a little more advanced.

User Info Menu

Dan
    you don't need to be advanced, just advancing : )
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Dan
    you don't need to be advanced, just advancing : )
    all the best
    Tim
    Thanks for that Tim. Are there any of your lessons or transcripts that you'd recommend for an early intermediate/ intermediate player? I'm definitely going to start watching your vids (subscribed to your channel) as your playing inspires me.

User Info Menu

Here's a good lesson that targets a concept.

User Info Menu

FWIW, Truefire added dates to some more pre-orders recently and is now showing an expected release date of 3/19/2020.

User Info Menu

I anticipate diving in on the Bb blues stuff first. I do have Tim's "Guitarist Magazine" Bb blues stuff...which has some great moves but the YouTube moves fast even though I have the TAB.The Truefire playback controls and Soundslice are very helpful though so I look forward to that.