User Info Menu

How come I'd never heard of this guy until 15 minutes ago, when a left turn on YouTube to hear some Pharoah Sanders brought him up, and then this great live performance? Great band too. I can hear the spirit of Coltrane.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

been on the scene quite sometime, i go for that type of thing..sonny greenwich, sharrock, pete cosey, bern nix, ulmer...but munoz never did it for me...paul shaffer who was music director of dave letterman show was a supporter, so munoz made appearances on network late nite prime tv...which is kind of funny

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-04-2019 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't imagine him on prime TV. That would be funny to see.

Yes, he's a bit over the top, but I smiled a lot while listening. Seemed like from another age.

User Info Menu

he's heavy in the sharrock bag...he has/had an ashram type thing going on in upstate ny for many years..he's very sincere...about the power of music and its correspondences with the spirit...with all the coltrane influences...

rob- "Seemed like from another age."

exactly!!...just a bit late for me...i think many of the newer out guitarists break a bit more new ground

cheers

User Info Menu

Cool Carlos Santana-meets-Sonny Sharrock vibe.

User Info Menu

I love his music! I remember having the same sense of discovery when I heard him for the first time several years ago. Someone in the thread mentioned his relationship to Paul Schaeffer (?). One of his tunes I love has Paul on piano. It's on the "Visiting This Planet" CD. I believe it's called Astral Traveller.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    How come I'd never heard of this guy until 15 minutes ago, when a left turn on YouTube to hear some Pharoah Sanders brought him up, and then this great live performance? Great band too. I can hear the spirit of Coltrane.