1. #1

    User Info Menu

    You can't analyze something you can't play! (Robert Conti)

    Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Good advice!
    Best regards, k

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz View Post
    You left out the best part! Just before this, Joe quips that he never has to tune his guitar because it was tuned at the factory :-)

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    You left out the best part! Just before this, Joe quips that he never has to tune his guitar because it was tuned at the factory :-)
    One of the reasons guitars are being returned to the shop on the terms of warranty: they went out of tune....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Hmm. makes me rather suspicious that perhaps Joe didn't hear music as well as he played it...

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Hmm. makes me rather suspicious that perhaps Joe didn't hear music as well as he played it...

    I have seen videos of him performing where he corrects tuning mid-song, as he plays; doing so in the same method as Segovia... hearing and knowing from experience which string, how much flat or sharp, and simply just knowing how much turn on the key will fix it, so he just makes a single adjustment between phrases or a rest between chords (the whole thing takes a half second, there is no repeating cycle of plucking, listening, tuning to match pitch).

    This probably wouldn't work if you played a half dozen guitars, but when you live with one instrument with which you become familiar for a long time you get to know it this well.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    I've known most of my life that ear fatigue is common for lots of folks, especially later in the day, so it's not unusual for it to affect your ability to fine tune your guitar by ear. Some might think you don't have a good ear, but by evening, it's just a tired ear....thank goodness for modern tuner technology.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    I've known most of my life that ear fatigue is common for lots of folks, especially later in the day, so it's not unusual for it to affect your ability to fine tune your guitar by ear. Some might think you don't have a good ear, but by evening, it's just a tired ear....thank goodness for modern tuner technology.
    Herb Ellis talks about this, especially when one is playing with other guitarists. Each guitarist alone may be able to tune his guitar well enough but when two or three play together the result can sound like rats deserting a sinking ship. So his advice was to use a tuner.

    He also pointed out that a guitar may be in tune with open strings but not in tune throughout the instrument--the guitar is funny that way. ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola