The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good advice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    You left out the best part! Just before this, Joe quips that he never has to tune his guitar because it was tuned at the factory :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    You left out the best part! Just before this, Joe quips that he never has to tune his guitar because it was tuned at the factory :-)
    One of the reasons guitars are being returned to the shop on the terms of warranty: they went out of tune....

User Info Menu

Hmm. makes me rather suspicious that perhaps Joe didn't hear music as well as he played it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Hmm. makes me rather suspicious that perhaps Joe didn't hear music as well as he played it...

I have seen videos of him performing where he corrects tuning mid-song, as he plays; doing so in the same method as Segovia... hearing and knowing from experience which string, how much flat or sharp, and simply just knowing how much turn on the key will fix it, so he just makes a single adjustment between phrases or a rest between chords (the whole thing takes a half second, there is no repeating cycle of plucking, listening, tuning to match pitch).

This probably wouldn't work if you played a half dozen guitars, but when you live with one instrument with which you become familiar for a long time you get to know it this well.

User Info Menu

I've known most of my life that ear fatigue is common for lots of folks, especially later in the day, so it's not unusual for it to affect your ability to fine tune your guitar by ear. Some might think you don't have a good ear, but by evening, it's just a tired ear....thank goodness for modern tuner technology.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I've known most of my life that ear fatigue is common for lots of folks, especially later in the day, so it's not unusual for it to affect your ability to fine tune your guitar by ear. Some might think you don't have a good ear, but by evening, it's just a tired ear....thank goodness for modern tuner technology.
    Herb Ellis talks about this, especially when one is playing with other guitarists. Each guitarist alone may be able to tune his guitar well enough but when two or three play together the result can sound like rats deserting a sinking ship. So his advice was to use a tuner.

He also pointed out that a guitar may be in tune with open strings but not in tune throughout the instrument--the guitar is funny that way. ;o)