The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan. There are few players who have combined the techniques of rock with the language of jazz and fusion as successfully imho. And from Tribal Tech to People Mover he also wrote some pretty interesting tunes along the way.
    But the Mike Stern thread made me curious as to what the rest of you think of him - in the other thread some felt Stern wasn't "real" jazz. Is Henderson, at least some of the time? And do you even appreciate his playing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Do I like Scott?" Absolutely, ever since he blew my mind as a teen back in 1982, when I saw him at a small club with Jeff Berlin and Vinnie Colaiuta!! He's a fantastic player!

"Does he play jazz?" I don't know -- does Wayne Krantz? Who cares?! I enjoy the music from both players, and I don't need to label it in order to enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Henderson does his own thing and he's great at it. I wouldn't call him a "jazz" player, but I do call him an original and an artist.

User Info Menu

I love Scott's earlier stuff all the way up through Vital Tech Tones.

I've never really listened to his blues stuff. I never need to hear another guitar player playing blues as long as I live.

The more current stuff of his I've heard, I can't get past him constantly laying on the whammy bar. It sounds completely unappealing to me.

I've always just considered him a fusion player.

User Info Menu

I remember watching a seminar he did when he came to play in Greece, Tribal tech times!! Live he had two huge racks of gear, but at the music school he played straight through a nothing ss student amp, sounded exactly like himself! I remember his first videotapes and all, have all the tribal tech cds!

The more current stuff of his I've heard, I can't get past him constantly laying on the whammy bar. It sounds completely unappealing to me.
    Yeah, i get that with Jeff Beck too..

User Info Menu

Probably the first place I heard SH - rest of the band are no slouches, either!

User Info Menu

Do I like Scott Henderson ? YES !
    Does he play "Jazz" ? He usually plays with a simili Strat, so no, you can't play serious jazz on a Strat !

Listen to HBC album (Henderson, Berlin, Chambers), great !
    Mysterious traveler, Stratus, Footprints .. is this "jazz" ? Maybe "fusion" ?

User Info Menu

I think you actually have to hate music and the guitar not to like him.

I don't think Scott cares about what his music is labelled as. It's obviously not straightahead, although there is some of him playing an archtop on the last album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Do I like Scott Henderson ? YES !
    Does he play "Jazz" ? He usually plays with a simili Strat, so no, you can't play serious jazz on a Strat !

Listen to HBC album (Henderson, Berlin, Chambers), great !
    Mysterious traveler, Stratus, Footprints .. is this "jazz" ? Maybe "fusion" ?
    not sure what "serious jazz" is but I have met some players that can play the "songbook" on a strat..and it sounds great..

most of the jazz feel is "attitude" and knowing harmony - using chords and knowing the many tonal options of the guitar and amp..sound tech has come along way in just the last 10 yrs...

my next guitar will be a strat style Suhr..which will play "serious jazz" when needed

User Info Menu

Team Tele is a bit annoyed, but it cuts Scott some slack, even with his twang bar nonsense.

User Info Menu

never met him-don't know...

User Info Menu

I love Scott's playing AND he's a great guy! I wouldn't call him a "jazz" player per se but I actually like his playing more than most "jazz" guitarists. He always brings a lot of fire, passion and balls when he plays and I find those traits missing in most jazz guitar players nowadays.

User Info Menu

Yes. His latest album is great. His tone is to die for now. You can hear a lot of Sco and Landau in Scott's playing.
    Killer guy who goes for it.

User Info Menu

Yep! New album is killer, as well.

User Info Menu

Scott is a killer player that can play whatever he wants, no limits. He digs modern, and finds his money there and has fun. I'm sure he could pull off Wes if he wanted to, he's got the chops and the theory, and don't think he's not aware of all the influences of the complete jazz tradition.

To get a feel for where his head is at, listen to episodes of Guitarwank with him and Bruce Foreman. Jazz covers a lot of territory at this stage of the continuum.

GuitarWank

my first taste of Scott, years ago with Chick...too MTV corny...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Scott is a killer player that can play whatever he wants, no limits. He digs modern, and finds his money there and has fun. I'm sure he could pull off Wes if he wanted to, he's got the chops and the theory, and don't think he's not aware of all the influences of the complete jazz tradition.

To get a feel for where his head is at, listen to episodes of Guitarwank with him and Bruce Foreman. Jazz covers a lot of territory at this stage of the continuum.

GuitarWank

my first taste of Scott, years ago with Chick...too MTV corny...

However, it is ironic to note that while Henderson is featured playing guitar in the Elektric Band video of "Elektric City," the guitar solo on that tune was played by Carlos Rios, not Scott.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    However, it is ironic to note that while Henderson is featured playing guitar in the Elektric Band video of "Elektric City," the guitar solo on that tune was played by Carlos Rios, not Scott.
    And Gambale was in the touring band. Having first heard this tune at a live show, I always thought that he was on this track :-P

User Info Menu

Scott said he hated being in Chick’s band haha

Also his tip on how to count quintuplets:
    ‘Scientology Scientology Scientology’

I love Scott, No filter, a completely authentic person....

User Info Menu

Here he is with Corea, his solo starts at 7:47

User Info Menu

Yes! He writes beautiful melody and swings like a mutha! Check him and Bruce Forman out with Troy on Guitar Wank Podcast! Hilarious!

User Info Menu

Scott is awesome. I saw Tribal Tech in New Haven, CT a million years ago. They were a fantastic band. I know I have a Tribal Tech record kicking around somewhere. Need to check them out again.

Scotts phrasing is fantastic. He also knows how to build a solo from sparse to intense. He uses wide intervals, rhythmic motifs, inside-outside lines and dynamics.
    Of course it’s jazz! Is Scofield jazz?
    Maybe Scott uses more gain but the basics are there. He also plays standards. He is a jazz player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Must be a generational thing! Or, those who come from a Rock foundation. Blistering technique does not a musician make . . . I couldn't take 5 minutes of that stuff without an emesis bag. I'm happy to live in the past where melody and lyricism take precedence over fire-breathing dragons. Good playing . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Must be a generational thing! Or, those who come from a Rock foundation. Blistering technique does not a musician make . . . I couldn't take 5 minutes of that stuff without an emesis bag. I'm happy to live in the past where melody and lyricism take precedence over fire-breathing dragons. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Scott is way more than “blistering Technique.” Dig up a video on YouTube of him playing All Blues or Equinox. His lines are fantastic. If you’re looking for the muted jazz box tone then yes, you will not like it.
    And it is true that many players came from a rock background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mr Henderson was born in 1954, as I just checked, so not exactly a young tearaway shredda. That Calhoun piece posted above is masterful on so many levels, IMO.